PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Kickr Feedback Anybody?

dekindy
01-10-2014, 08:26 AM
My buddy has one and likes it well. He purchased recumbent style exercise bikes and rode them until they broke and then purchased another. I convinced him that he needed to sacrifice the seating comfort and instead of training in the recumbent position; train in the regular biking position. So far he likes his well and I think I want one eventually although the KK Road Machine and TrainerRoad serve me well enough for now for basic Winter training. He purchased his at the LBS and first model was defective. They tried a factory recommended adjustment that was ineffective so gave him another. He has been using the second unit for a month without any problems.

What is the forum experience so far?

jabbahop
01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
I replaced my Kurt Kinetic with this in December and I love it for indoor base riding. It is very smooth, stable, and a bit quieter than than Kinetic (especially if you use low gearing in ERG mode so flywheel is going slower).

It is super nice to be able to pick a wattage target and be able to vary cadence and not have to shift gears. It is also nice not worrying about tire slip when standing or doing bigger wattages (which I haven't done much of).

I use my ipad on a stand to control it.

I haven't yet used strava app or trainerroad for riding segments or particular intervals so I am not sure how well those are implemented.

The one limitation is that it is heavy and requires AC power so not good for warming up for a race.

Netdewt
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I hope it takes off! Looks awesome. I currently just have rollers, but this would be a consideration for next winter.

Charles M
01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Might be the nicest Trainer available right now for a few reasons.

First, there is a lot of mass turning. Very good road - like feel. And quality internals that make the resistance change when you're using some of the road replicating programs.

Second, there is a massive amount of training tools and software available and it's growing.

Nobody offers the amount of training tools available and the high tech trainers that get close are not made this well and generally have no place near the same road feel...

Go buy one.

572cv
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Looks like an updated and refined Lemond Revolution. Mine has provided a good experience for a number of years; the strategy is quite effective in recreating road feel.

jbrainin
01-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Read this:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitness-trainer-review.html

rinconryder
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
bikeradar just gave it 5 stars today.

Netdewt
01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Read this:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitness-trainer-review.html

Of course he's written a review. I REALLY want one now.

Charles M
01-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Looks like an updated and refined Lemond Revolution. Mine has provided a good experience for a number of years; the strategy is quite effective in recreating road feel.

No comparing the Lemond and the Wahoo...

The Wahoo has a massive amount of training tools, The Lemond has virtually nothing.

They both have good road feel, BUT the Lemond sounds like a helicopter landing behind you and the Wahoo isnt as loud as the fan you'll use to cool yourself.

They look something like each other, but that's it...

rs1115
01-13-2014, 06:41 PM
I am a new Kickr owner after having a Kurt Kinetic (KK). I have to say - at this point and it is early in the game - the Kickr is phenomenal. While I have nothing bad to say about the KK, the open software platform and use of Trainerroad have made me (almost) like the trainer. My workouts are much more purposeful and the relatively wide availability of data sources (Sufferfest, etc) is keeping it interesting for me.

The trainer itself was easy to set up and seems to be a very durable piece of equipment. The bike was on the trainer 10 mins after it was out of the box. I read all of DC Rainmaker's trainer reviews, did as much other research as I could and decided on the Kickr largely based on the open software platform. So far I have not been disappointed.

01-15-2014, 12:36 AM
OK. I have the itch.

One question. Their website is a bit imprecise about the cassette situation. Is the existing freehub 11-speed Shimano compatible so you simply have to install a 6800 Ultegra 11-speed cassette? Or do you have to buy into the freehub as well?

rs1115
01-15-2014, 08:03 AM
I believe you just change the cassette. It is only with Campy that you need a free hub adapter. I don't think you will be disappointed especially if you jump in with Trainerroad or like product.

Reid

From the Kickr site (http://support.wahoofitness.com/entries/23710176-Will-my-bike-work-with-the-KICKR-)

The following is required for your bicycle to be compatible with the KICKR:
Hub Width: 130mm (road) or 135mm (mountain)

Drivetrain:

Out of box: Sram/Shimano 10-speed

Requires Purchase/Installation of New Cassette:

Sram/Shimano 7/8/9-speed
Shimano 11-speed

Tom
01-15-2014, 08:10 AM
"Grab an Iphone or Ipad".

Showstopper.

Nebby
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
"Grab an Iphone or Ipad".

Showstopper.

It completely supports ANT+ control and output. Only reason you'd need an iphone or ipad is to update it...which I haven't needed to do (knock on wood).

Charles M
01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Same tools... Just swap the cassette and take off the spacer to go from 10 to 11.

They also have Campy compatible swap.

2LeftCleats
01-26-2014, 07:39 AM
I've about decided to get one of these. I have two concerns that aren't clear (to me) from the company site or from dc rainmakers review.

I don't have Garmin and don't want to invest in one now. Will my iPhone or iPad be enough to control it?

I understand there are apps available. Given the upfront cost, I'd like not to purchase anything else at first. So, does the Kikr come with a basic training program to let me do things like intervals, simulate hill climbs, or set and change a specific power level?

Thanks.

stuckey
01-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Check out the wattage e-mail list for more info. I have read reviews about drifting and some units being way off from a SRM. If I remember right if you do a spin down after ten minutes of light pedaling it will correct it.

mvrider
01-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Team Sky will use Wahoo trainers this year, so hopefully that relationship will help further develop ruggedness and reliability.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/team-sky-to-use-wahoo-kickr-power-trainers-39615/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2014/01/21/1390279929629-2i7f2wjaswr1-500-70.jpg