PDA

View Full Version : Moots Rear Dropouts

campy man
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Anybody else have an issue with the Moots rear dropouts?

Love their frames but have a hard time with the rear dropouts. Just seems awkward when I see the skewer sticking out behind the seatstay or folded under the chainstay. I like folding the skewer in the space between the seat & chainstays.

Does anyone know of a nice rear skewer that does not use a folding arm that might work nicely with a Moots?

beeatnik
01-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Love their frames but have a hard time with the rear dropouts. Just seems awkward when I see the skewer sticking out behind the seatstay or folded under the chainstay. I like folding the skewer in the space between the seat & chainstays.

Does anyone know of a nice rear skewer that does not use a folding arm that might work nicely with a Moots?

Bolt on skewers?

CunegoFan
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
The issue I have with mine is that Campy skewers with the loop of "wire" get hung up on hooded dropouts when replacing a wheel. The QR lever is not a problem.

Cat3roadracer
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I think the design is beautiful. I use Salsa skewers with no trouble at all.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Nope. Fat seat stays kinda call for Breezer type dropouts. QR arm parallel to chai stay .

ColonelJLloyd
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
It's not a Moots specific issue. I had to break the habit of putting the QR lever between the chain and seat stay; not a deal breaker for me.

pinoymamba
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Nope. Fat seat stays kinda call for Breezer type dropouts. QR arm parallel to chai stay .

i don't have a moots yet. but this is how i run my qr. racers say it's bad since someone can open it with their wheel but i prefer it aesthetically.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
i don't have a moots yet. but this is how i run my qr. racers say it's bad since someone can pull it open with their wheel but i prefer it aesthetically.

Forward. Parallel to chain stay, not backwards

Lewis Moon
01-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Forward. Parallel to chain stay, not backwards

This is how I have to run the skewers on my Fastrax (Salsa). Not my first choice, as I was always taught to run the rear QR up in the triangle.

PS: Someone used to make these cool replacement skewer cams that ended with a ~5mm Allen head rather than a lever. You always had to carry an Allen wrench but it sure was clean and tamper resistant.

redir
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I agree. I don't like the drop outs on my Compact at all. You get used to it but it seems to me there could be a better way of doing it. You are basically forced to put your skewer latches in the danger zone and it can be a PIA tightening them.

Steve in SLO
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Not a fan of the Breezer dropouts. They are aesthetically pleasing but functionally suboptimal. Some skewers have enough standoff and arch in the lever to clear the dropouts and rest in the triangle. Neuvation skewers can do this.

vqdriver
01-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Salsa skewers have clearance. They swing "out" then back "in" so the end nestles nicely inside the stays, which is where I prefer them as well.
I used them in place of my campy skewers for hooded dropouts.

BobbyJones
01-09-2014, 04:17 PM
KCNC skewers DO NOT clear.

rePhil
01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Not a problem for me. But it's a compromise I am happy to make for the largish chainstays all the way to the dropouts.

pdmtong
01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
KCNC skewers DO NOT clear.

Neither do Mavic or DTS RWS

As a result my rear skewers either point up at 12:00 or rearward in line with the chainstay (breezer dropouts on CR and respo)

roydyates
01-09-2014, 05:11 PM

I hate the skewer being folded between the chainstay and seatstay. That's the hardest place to get your hand on the lever to open it. However, I understand we all have our preferences. If your Moots is a 59-60, you should definitely dump it here on the forum.

texbike
01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I love breezer-style dropouts and really like their application on the Moots bikes. In fact it's one of my favorite details on my Vamoots.

I'm not really sure which way the skewer lever is pointing on the bike but it seems to be working-the wheel hasn't fallen off or anything like that...

Edit: Made it back home and had a chance to take a look -apparently I have the skewer lever pointed to the rear. It works great and has never had any issues. Plus it's VERY aerodynamic and saves an average of 20 watts on hills. :)

Texbike

jbay
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
The biggest potential problem with Breezer-style dropouts, IMO, is not so much the q/r lever position they dictate, but the slower, more awkward q/r tension adjustment. You can't twirl the lever quickly, like like you can on plate-style dropouts, as it interferes with the dropout. Admittedly, this is only really an issue if you get a wheel change from neutral support in a race, but seconds will feel like minutes when it does happen...

This is all a prelude to mentioning that Scapin address this issue in a clever, think-outside-the-box fashion. They orient the left-hand dropout like the right-hand one, so you get the benefits of Breezer-style dropouts without the drawbacks. I don't have any pictures, I'm afraid, but it doesn't look bad either -at least in smaller, steel-compatible, proportions.

--John

redir
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
The biggest potential problem with Breezer-style dropouts, IMO, is not so much the q/r lever position they dictate, but the slower, more awkward q/r tension adjustment. You can't twirl the lever quickly, like like you can on plate-style dropouts, as it interferes with the dropout. Admittedly, this is only really an issue if you get a wheel change from neutral support in a race, but seconds will feel like minutes when it does happen...

This is all a prelude to mentioning that Scapin address this issue in a clever, think-outside-the-box fashion. They orient the left-hand dropout like the right-hand one, so you get the benefits of Breezer-style dropouts without the drawbacks. I don't have any pictures, I'm afraid, but it doesn't look bad either -at least in smaller, steel-compatible, proportions.

--John

Yeah not being able to twirl drives me nuts. If I understand your Scapin fix properly then the left drop out is flipped? Or rotated 180deg such that the outside face is flat?

I'm having a hard time seeing how that would work. Seems like the edge (not sure what to call it) of the drop out, the thing that gets in the way, would be in the way of the hub.

??? :confused:

Steve in SLO
01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I hate the skewer being folded between the chainstay and seatstay. That's the hardest place to get your hand on the lever to open it.

Use your left hand, place your thumb on the seat stay, and your index finger under the skewer. Push with your thumb, pull with your index finger. Easy.

Disclaimer: I am left-handed, so that is maybe the only reason it seems easy to me.

jbay
01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah not being able to twirl drives me nuts. If I understand your Scapin fix properly then the left drop out is flipped? Or rotated 180deg such that the outside face is flat?

I'm having a hard time seeing how that would work. Seems like the edge (not sure what to call it) of the drop out, the thing that gets in the way, would be in the way of the hub.

??? :confused:A picture would tell a thousand words, but alas and alack, I can't find one. The only photos I can find on-line of a Scapin with hooded dropouts, are of a carbon frame on which the left-hand dropout is oriented in the same fashion as Moots (and everyone else).

Regarding the dropout alignment, yes, the outside face is flat (and, hence, allows the quick-release to be twirled). The left-hand (non-drive, if you prefer) dropout is oriented exactly like the right-hand (drive-side) dropout. The right-hand (drive-side) dropout is oriented the same as Moots, so the cassette doesn't interfere with it.

The (left-hand/non-drive) axle end-cap or locknut on most hubs is about the same size as the clamping face on a quick release and protrudes some distance from the hub shell, so there really isn't anything to interfere with the dropout.

-- John

Vinci
01-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Use your left hand, place your thumb on the seat stay, and your index finger under the skewer. Push with your thumb, pull with your index finger. Easy.

Disclaimer: I am left-handed, so that is maybe the only reason it seems easy to me.
Also a lefty, and that's how I do it, too.

I tell myself that the skewer is less likely to snag on something with it tucked between the stays, but I really doubt it's that big of a deal.