PDA

View Full Version : I am an old man now...

ariw
01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Just told a teenager not to ride on the sidewalk as he buzzed me. An accident waiting to happen.

Ari

Fishbike
01-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Hang in there. At least you recognize it.

ceolwulf
01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
We need some more old men around here. Half this town's people-on-bicycles ride on the sidewalk.

And about half the rest ride against traffic.

Bkat
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
As long as you didn't amend that with, "Back in my day we used to ride in the street, you young whippersnapper" you're not old, just sensible.

ariw
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
If I use the word whippersnapper, I authorize anyone here to administer a dope slap.

ColonelJLloyd
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM
A few years back (at about age 30) pushed an 50 year old guy on a bicycle out into the street after he nearly knocked down my wife on the crowded sidewalk full of pedestrians. I'm sure he had no idea why I did that but he had no intention of stopping to discuss it. Sidewalk cyclists really get my goat.

druptight
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
A few years back (at about age 30) pushed an 50 year old guy on a bicycle out into the street after he nearly knocked down my wife on the crowded sidewalk full of pedestrians. I'm sure he had no idea why I did that but he had no intention of stopping to discuss it. Sidewalk cyclists really get my goat.

I've got a buddy who isn't a cyclist, but a runner who was marathon training a few years ago. Came around a corner and found himself face to face with an oncoming cyclist on the sidewalk and there was no time to get out of the way, guy was coming too fast. He braced for impact and basically bodychecked the guy off his bike. Looked down, shrugged, and kept right on running.

Sometimes sidewalk cyclists get what they deserve.

Don49
01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Just told a teenager not to ride on the sidewalk as he buzzed me. Don't feel bad. The sidewalk riders seem to encompass all ages. I've been yelling at them since I was a young man (notice I didn't say whippersnapper).

pinoymamba
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
i recently called college students kids... i'm 28 :eek:

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Just told a teenager not to ride on the sidewalk as he buzzed me. An accident waiting to happen.

Ari

Unless ya got hair in your ears and get up to pee 3 times each night, ya ain't old.

Fixed
01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Unless ya got hair in your ears and get up to pee 3 times each night, ya ain't old.

Iam old
Cheers :)

Bkat
01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
This thread's making me think we should change the tags on our user names from "senior member" to "distinguished member."

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Iam old
Cheers :)

Well yeah, mee too.........

OldCrank
01-09-2014, 03:48 PM
on top of all this, there's the young brats in cars, yelling that I should be riding on the sidewalk.

biker72
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
The cycling community fought hard for designated bike lanes where I live. I still see people riding on sidewalks parallel to the bike lanes.

You're not old till you hear your favorite song in an elevator.

jghall
01-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Cool, I only get up once, so I still have a few years left.

2LeftCleats
01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
If you'd added "and get off my lawn!", THEN you'd be old.

Bud_E
01-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Ari

...and when he rides in the street, angry pickup truck drivers are yelling at him to ride on the sidewalk. :crap:

Frankwurst
01-09-2014, 06:16 PM
The cycling community fought hard for designated bike lanes where I live. I still see people riding on sidewalks parallel to the bike lanes.

You're not old till you hear your favorite song in an elevator.

I'll never be old! To much hair in my ears.:beer:

ariw
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM
For the record, I have also called the cops for noisy neighbors. In my defense though, we had an infant at the time.

giverdada
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
woah woah woah.

ari, you had an an infant and your neighbors were the noisy ones?

good infant!

in all seriousness, though, i've always felt 'old'er than not, and the sidewalk riding thing is terrible. i also yell at people who do it. i also comment on people running red lights. stop signs aren't often that big a deal, unless it's a dick move and flagrant and hazardous, but the red lights and sidewalks…ugh.

my lady gave me The Rules for christmas, always read with a grain of salt and firmly tongue in cheek, but a lot of that stuff seems to oscillate between being old, and being pretentiously poseur. there's HTFU which makes a ton of sense, and the encouragement to ride in bad weather, and then there's a rule about sock length… i figure i'm too old to worry about sock length.

and i also think that in this sport, and in running, (and likely swimming from the looks of it,) getting old doesn't mean anything bad. likely it just means we'll have more class or souplesse as we spin or run or glide on through to the golden years. bring it. i get my ass kicked by senior citizens every club run every week. lots to look forward to.

old_fat_and_slow
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Accept it, unfortunately, it happens to all of us. You'll survive. (Officially, you have to get hair growing all over your back and all over your ear lobes, not just inside your ear canals, to really be considered old. )

malbecman
01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm getting the long-a@@ed nose hairs that need trimming now....yeehaw! :)

dogdriver
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Ah, reminds me of the old adage of "three things to remember after you turn 50"... I'd probably upset the moderators if I printed them...

cinema
01-09-2014, 09:09 PM
don't mean to bring this up again but sidewalks are your friend around here. always a good choice especially between 4 and 7pm. don't mind me if i buzz you, apologies, just trying to stay alive.

HenryA
01-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Hey! Get off my lawn!

ivanooze
01-10-2014, 01:28 AM
i'm down here in so-cal and we are finally rebuilding roads, setting up bike lanes, and i got to say, it is glorious.
-the moment i set my tires on those newly paved roads i literally screamed in excitement while people in their cars were looking at me in a dumbfounded way.
-It's crazy to see how people take construction for granted when it means so much to others, guess they just dont ride

d_douglas
01-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Agreed on the sidewalk thing.

For me, the "aha moment" was when I would describe someone as, "ya know, she's young, like my age", then realize that she is actually way younger than I. I am now wishing I was was 35 but coming to terms with being 44. I think I am too immature to be 44 ;)

Also, I am at a turning point where our doctors are often younger than me. My wife remarks, "is that guy even finished medical school yet?", but in reality, he has been practicing for a decade already !

rwsaunders
01-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Try coaching soccer and dealing with Mothers that could be your daughter(s).

soulspinner
01-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Try coaching soccer and dealing with Mothers that could be your daughter(s).

Ahhh is it hard to concentrate or .............:rolleyes:

TimD
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Hairy-eared former AARP member here. I still ride on the sidewalk when I think it is safer than riding in the street, and will bunny-hop the curb (on an Ottrott) to get there.

I've been known to ride around indoors at my workplace. Easy to see over cube walls while mounted on a 63cm frame :banana:

You are only as old as you feel. And think.