PDA

View Full Version : spoke sources??

spokelacer
01-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey folks,
I have yet another stupid question.
I used to build wheels(alot of them) and some time ago my supply guy dried up. So this winter I am rebuilding a few steeds and find myself in need of about 300 spokes. Wow, they have gone up in price!
I need at least a 50 CX-rays, and some super comps(for three tandem wheels)
as well as some short 180 mm spokes. Anyone know a reliable place to fine them where I won't feel shorted after my purchase?

In case anyone cares the builds are:
Titanium light bike: King hubs, 340 ZTR rims, 24, 20 holes,
Three tandem wheels: King hubs, aeroheat rims, 36 holes
Bike friday with a23s, 24 holes front and rear,
Suzue and taipan rims, 36 holes(for the bike trailer), maybe cut/thread old spokes...

It seems the market has really changed after 4 years away from it.
Thanks!

Gsinill
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I use Brandon at bikehubstore.com for Sapim spokes.
Price is good, fast shipping (free if $100+) and a nice guy to deal with. He also responses very quickly to emails.

sales guy
01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I can get stuff for you from my supplier. But it is a wholesaler for bike people.

Mark McM
01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
We all know that the standard answer to "Where can I get ..." questions is "Your LBS". But very few LBS's will have stock all sizes and styles of spokes in stock (that's a lot of slow moving inventory). Sure, they'd be happy to special order them for you, but they'll generally require you to buy an entire box (typically 50, 72 or 100) of each size. If you're just build a few wheels, you'll want to find a place you can buy spokes individually. So here are a few online sources of individual spokes:

Universal Cycles (http://www.universalcycles.com)

Bike Hub Store (http://www.bikehubstore.com/)

Wheelbuilder.com (http://www.wheelbuilder.com/spokes-nipples/)

ProWheelbuilder.com (http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/)

The Sapim CX-Ray spokes you mention typically go for about $3.00. I don't think there's any particular advantage of DT Super Comp spokes (2.0/1.7/1.8). I'd recommend using standard DT Competition spokes (2.0/1.8/2.0) or Wheelsmith DB14 spokes (2.0/1.7/2.0), which should be at least as reliable and only half the cost.

oliver1850
01-09-2014, 01:05 PM
ExcelSports has pretty good prices on DT:

Champion: .50
Competition: .75
Revolution: .99
Blk. Aerolite: 4.00

You can get Revolutions at Excel for the same price Universal gets for Competitions.

spokelacer
01-09-2014, 01:11 PM
That is a good question, I find LBS(and I love to support local business) even in Boston tend to want to sell you what they have, and at full retail. That comes out to 2.50$ for a competition spoke. As a builder I don't need their expertise and I have learned that they always recommend what they have in stock, never wanting to order Sapims or other less common spokes. That is, as least here. I also tend to buy the same length spoke for different builds when they differ but a few MMs, then I just nip them and threat them with my spoke threader. So, if online sources are willing to go bulk, I take advantage.

Thanks for suggesting the Bike Hub store, they have great prices!

SuperComps were recommended ten years ago and they are amazing in the right situations, I have built up a 1290 gram MTB wheel set that I raced for 5 seasons and only trued twice. 64 super comps did the job, because they are 1.8 mm at the nipple, they can easily use aluminum nips without much concern.
I have also used them on tandems with no complaints from people I built for. That said, assuming the builder knows his stuff, you are probably right that the spokes aren't a big difference.

spokelacer
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
If you have a connection... I am all ears: should we email?

spokelacer
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks, I will check out excel!

Gsinill
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
+1 on the LBS who was my first choice for the current build but like others said, I needed uncommon 297 and 299 of which they had neither.
Re. BikeHubStore: I like the fact that Brandon started this as a hobby and now makes a living out of it. That combined with his responsiveness and his overall good service is the next best thing after the LBS - IMHO.

And no, no relation, self interest etc.; just sharing my good experience...

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
+1 on the LBS who was my first choice for the current build but like others said, I needed uncommon 297 and 299 of which they had neither.
Re. BikeHubStore: I like the fact that Brandon started this as a hobby and now makes a living out of it. That combined with his responsiveness and his overall good service is the next best thing after the LBS - IMHO.

And no, no relation, self interest etc.; just sharing my good experience...

297/299 uncommon?!

Jim@vecchios.com

has DT, Comps and Revs, silver and black, from 258 thru 304....every mm and if he doesn't he has a Phil spoke cutter/threader(at least for Comps). No Sapim nor DT Aerolight.

Gsinill
01-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Yes, that's the answer I got from my LBS (should have put quotes around it). They were willing to order them for me but only if I took the whole package since they "would probably not be able to sell the rest". Don't really blame them, I guess they know how their stuff moves and understand that they don't want to stock anything they can't sell within a reasonable time...

297/299 uncommon?!

Mark McM
01-09-2014, 02:55 PM
297/299 uncommon?!

Jim@vecchios.com

has DT, Comps and Revs, silver and black, from 258 thru 304....every mm and if he doesn't he has a Phil spoke cutter/threader(at least for Comps). No Sapim nor DT Aerolight.

But is Vecchios the LBS that's near for Gsinill? I have no doubt that Vecchios and a few other special shops do carry a large inventory of the most common spokes - but these shops are becoming the exception, not the rule.

One shop near me used to carry a large inventory of spokes in several gauges and lengths. But as they moved toward selling pre-built wheels instead of building their own, the haven't replenished their spoke inventory, and now have very few spokes left.

Another local shop bought a Phil Wood spoke cutting machine to reduce the inventory of spokes they need to keep on hand. They keep a large stock of straight gauge spokes, which they can cut down to any length - but that doesn't help if you want butted spokes (they do have small inventory of butted spokes, but these can only be cut down a limited amount). They usually don't have the exact length spokes you might want, but they're happy to cut some down for you - for only an extra $0.50 per spoke. Oh, and if you want more than one or two spokes (like a whole wheel's worth), they give you the stink eye and tell you that you have to come back the next day because they don't have time to cut the spokes right now.

kramnnim
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I can get stuff for you from my supplier. But it is a wholesaler for bike people.

Is this an offer for the OP?

oldpotatoe
01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
But is Vecchios the LBS that's near for Gsinill? I have no doubt that Vecchios and a few other special shops do carry a large inventory of the most common spokes - but these shops are becoming the exception, not the rule.

One shop near me used to carry a large inventory of spokes in several gauges and lengths. But as they moved toward selling pre-built wheels instead of building their own, the haven't replenished their spoke inventory, and now have very few spokes left.

Another local shop bought a Phil Wood spoke cutting machine to reduce the inventory of spokes they need to keep on hand. They keep a large stock of straight gauge spokes, which they can cut down to any length - but that doesn't help if you want butted spokes (they do have small inventory of butted spokes, but these can only be cut down a limited amount). They usually don't have the exact length spokes you might want, but they're happy to cut some down for you - for only an extra $0.50 per spoke. Oh, and if you want more than one or two spokes (like a whole wheel's worth), they give you the stink eye and tell you that you have to come back the next day because they don't have time to cut the spokes right now.

Just telling the guy that Jim has DT, and 297/299 isn't 'uncommon', IMHO
Not a 'statement', I know most bike shops can't even spell 'whelbld'.

oliver1850
01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Dan'sComp has good prices on Sapim, but it doesn't look like they have CX-rays.

http://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/group/BMX+Spokes.html

sales guy
01-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Is this an offer for the OP?

For the OP or anyone really. I don't mind helping out. I'm an industry person who is "sadly" partnering with someone on a shop/frame shop in my area.

I say sadly cause I wish it happened sooner and of course due to the time it takes.

So in the mean time, I'm still doing my industry work and in process of opening the store. We both have builders experience, him more and he is an engineer and tool and die maker. Worked for Alcoa forever and had a hand in designing and actually making "special things" for the military. So the guy is skilled beyond words. Our birthday present to each other is the Brew Frame Course.

And no, we aren't "partners" like that. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Dude is the one who got me into cycling. He's like my dad, old enough to be. Known him for 30 years. He's retiring and wants to fill his day and do something fun. We're heading to NAHBS for ideas and fun. Should be good.

So yes, industry guy who has access and opening a place shortly.

rice rocket
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Dan'sComp has good prices on Sapim, but it doesn't look like they have CX-rays.

http://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/group/BMX+Spokes.html

Dan's Comp doesn't keep their website up to date. Give 'em a call, and they'll probably have it on your door pretty quick.

I've been using Brandon @ BikeHubStore for most of spokes though, he's reliable and once you hit $1k, it's lifetime 10% off (which I should only need one more wheelbuild to hit). Hit $2500 and it's lifetime 15% off. Or 10% off all the time if you're active military.

Gsinill
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Nice, I could imagine doing something like that once I retire...

For the OP or anyone really. I don't mind helping out. I'm an industry person who is "sadly" partnering with someone on a shop/frame shop in my area.

I say sadly cause I wish it happened sooner and of course due to the time it takes.

So in the mean time, I'm still doing my industry work and in process of opening the store. We both have builders experience, him more and he is an engineer and tool and die maker. Worked for Alcoa forever and had a hand in designing and actually making "special things" for the military. So the guy is skilled beyond words. Our birthday present to each other is the Brew Frame Course.

And no, we aren't "partners" like that. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Dude is the one who got me into cycling. He's like my dad, old enough to be. Known him for 30 years. He's retiring and wants to fill his day and do something fun. We're heading to NAHBS for ideas and fun. Should be good.

So yes, industry guy who has access and opening a place shortly.

Admiral Ackbar
01-09-2014, 05:36 PM
another vote for dans comp. i buy all my spokes from them, just order over the phone

ultraman6970
01-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Sometimes you can get good deals from ebay aswell.