PDA

View Full Version : Palm Desert/Palm Springs Riders - Looking for transportation suggestions from LAX

Pierre
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi,
My family was planning on coming down from Toronto, Canada for a visit beginning Feb 15 but then I found out that the annual Tour de Palm Springs is scheduled for the week before...

So here is my challenge. My wife generously proposed that I go down a week ahead of time so that I can participate in the ride. I'm seriously considering this but will need to take both of our bikes with me (I'm having trouble with the idea of leaving her with two kids, their luggage AND a bike bag at the airport). With that in mind, I would be flying direct to LAX - probably on Saturday the 7th. I need to find a way (without having to rent a car for a whole second week)to get from LAX to Palm Springs...with the two bike bags in tow. I'm thinking that Greyhound might work out as long as I can make my way to the station from LAX...has anyone else on here had a similar challenge?

Thoughts are welcome!

eddief
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
probably not too spendy and maybe solves the problem.

christian
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Skywest and United fly there, I think.
Primetime shuttle has big econolines that would fit bike cases and drive there.
You could rent a car one-way.

vav
01-08-2014, 11:20 AM

^ this. about $ 100. And also, February 7th is a Friday ;)

Louis
01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Agreed on the rental car - nearly any rental should be able to handle a bike bag if you put the rear seats down.

Ken Robb
01-08-2014, 11:42 AM
you might score very good deal on a rental for your entire stay via Priceline's Name-Your-Own- Price program. That would be really good if you were available to get your family at LAX.

druptight
01-08-2014, 02:02 PM

This is what I would do.

mgm777
01-08-2014, 02:35 PM
you might score very good deal on a rental for your entire stay via Priceline's Name-Your-Own- Price program. That would be really good if you were available to get your family at LAX.

+1. Go to the the rental car retail web sites and research retail prices for your dates. Then, go to priceline and put a bid in for 60% of the retail price. This works for me nearly every time.

Ralph
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM

When you are 100% certain about your plans.....This is what I would do. Price Line a mini van. But....no refunds and difficult to change Price Line deal....so make sure other plans certain.

mosca
01-08-2014, 07:43 PM
It is Southern California - you NEED a car;)

Pierre
01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Priceline - brilliant!!! Thanks, guys. I had not heard of that service. That will make it easier to pick up the family smoothly when they come down the following week.

I'm in! Now I just have to figure out how to ramp up my mileage from 1hr VQ and Spinerval spinning sessions every second day to something more reasonable in 30 days....