PDA

View Full Version : Whats your EPIC, here was my latest....

gmcampy
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
http://www.sbrcycling.org/2014/01/second-winter-overnighter-as-written-by.html?spref=fb

oliver1850
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Looks like a great ride. I attempted to map it as this seems to be play with mapping sites day on the forum. From what I could gather you started somewhere northwest of Strasburg, went as far south as Edinburg, then looped back. I've driven through that area, but never had a chance to ride there.

Buldogge and I had a similar search for a stream crossing in the woods last April. We weren't plagued with ice and snow, but with ticks. I'd never been anywhere where they were so thick. Every season has its perils. That was a fun day, but my most "epic" ride last year was probably a 117 mile solo mixed surface ride at the end of September.

gmcampy
01-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Pretty close, here was the route
http://www.strava.com/activities/104295696

oliver1850
01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I had it pretty close but missed the biggest climb, up Wolf Gap Rd.

Are there houses scattered along the roads along the edge of the mountains, or is it a pretty unsettled area? It looks like much of trip was through Natl. Forest, but is there privately held land within the boundaries? We used to fish on a lake in MN that was in the Superior Natl. Forest, but there were homes and camps that were privately owned. When the area became Voyageurs Natl. Park, all homes and businesses were bought (forcibly) by the government, and most have now been destroyed.

gmcampy
01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I had it pretty close but missed the biggest climb, up Wolf Gap Rd.

Are there houses scattered along the roads along the edge of the mountains, or is it a pretty unsettled area? It looks like much of trip was through Natl. Forest, but is there privately held land within the boundaries? We used to fish on a lake in MN that was in the Superior Natl. Forest, but there were homes and camps that were privately owned. When the area became Voyageurs Natl. Park, all homes and businesses were bought (forcibly) by the government, and most have now been destroyed.

Not many houses around once we left the paved roads, LOTS of hunters and dogs hunting deer and Black Bear IIRC, beautiful scenery for sure. The overnight was a bonus with a cashe of firewood already available :). Riding in the rain in 30 degree temps witout raingear was probably STUPID in retrospect, but after the climb up Devel's Backbone, we would have been soaked with sweat with the added layer, so either way we were doomed to be COLD.

Next route being planned for 2 weeks, 2 overnights with almost no pavement for 2 days......My riding partner is training for the divide ride, me Im just crazy, or going through a crisis according to wife ;)

sc53
01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Were you in VA or WVa or both? Strasburg is in VA right? Massanutten Mtn is in VA too, I think. I'm in northern VA, just trying to figure out where you were riding.

poff
01-08-2014, 07:35 PM
http://app.strava.com/activities/82164570

charliedid
01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
This is epic

Coluber42
01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Hey, I know where that is! My most recent "epic" was the Appalachian Double Cross 1000k, which I did this past October and the previous year as well. It goes from Gainesville, VA to Parkersburg, WV and back. And it goes over Edinburg and Wolf and that was only the beginning. The first time I did it, I was the only one who signed up so I did the whole thing alone plus I got snowed on in the mountains between Elkins and Seneca Rocks on the return. This year there was one other rider, so I had company.
Completely relentless territory, for sure. Definitely the hardest long brevet I've ever done.

gmcampy
01-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Hey, I know where that is! My most recent "epic" was the Appalachian Double Cross 1000k, which I did this past October and the previous year as well. It goes from Gainesville, VA to Parkersburg, WV and back. And it goes over Edinburg and Wolf and that was only the beginning. The first time I did it, I was the only one who signed up so I did the whole thing alone plus I got snowed on in the mountains between Elkins and Seneca Rocks on the return. This year there was one other rider, so I had company.
Completely relentless territory, for sure. Definitely the hardest long brevet I've ever done.

AWESOME, I need to let my ride bud know about that one! Do you have any info on the 2014 ride?

gmcampy
01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
This is epic

Epic woulda been they switched positions :eek:

gmcampy
01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
http://app.strava.com/activities/82164570

Awesome, what kind of bike?

Coluber42
01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
AWESOME, I need to let my ride bud know about that one! Do you have any info on the 2014 ride?

The last I heard, it was not being offered in 2014... long story, but hopefully it will be back in future years. My ride report from this year is here:
http://www.dillpicklegear.com/appalachian-double-cross-1000k-redux/
There is a link to last year's ride report and also a link to the route on GPSies.
The organizer is sometimes slow to respond to emails, but I bet he wouldn't be opposed to making it into a permanent, which one could then ride any time. Since it has often had only one or two people signed up, and basically no support, it wouldn't really even make much difference to ride it as a permanent. The website is Www.romabrevet.org and it has his contact info. You can tell him Emily said hi and recommended his route. :)

oliver1850
01-09-2014, 04:45 PM
That Dolomites route looks good. We need pics.

Charles M
01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Specialized now monitoring this thread...