PDA

View Full Version : mini-v questions

cinema
01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
I am looking to add mini-v's to my cross check. If my research is correct, these will work with road STI levers. several shops have told me this isn't the case, but as i understand it the pull for mini-v's is shorter than V's are, and therefore, it should be okay.

I also understand that regular V's will work with a travel agent. is this a better decision? will i get more clearance with a regular sized v brake?

lastly, I'm wondering which model of Kool-stops will fit the mini-v's, particluary the tektro rx5s, which have 8.5cm arms (these are the model i'm set on going with for now.

Steve in SLO
01-07-2014, 12:37 AM
I would go with mini-Vs and avoid the unnecessary complexity of the travel agent.
RX5s will work fine with your STI's, and I would try using the stock pads to begin with. They are actually pretty good.

Rada
01-07-2014, 01:28 AM
I've run Tektro RX5s with STIs and 700X35 tires plus fenders. Brakes worked very well with stock pads. How are so many shops are so clueless.

fogrider
01-07-2014, 01:33 AM
yeah go with mini Vs. the longer V brakes require more pull and the road levers don't have enough pull. I've tried the travel agents and I didn't like the feel. the mini Vs will have less clearance...but unless you try to run fenders, it shouldn't be an issue.

cinema
01-07-2014, 01:43 AM
yeah go with mini Vs. the longer V brakes require more pull and the road levers don't have enough pull. I've tried the travel agents and I didn't like the feel. the mini Vs will have less clearance...but unless you try to run fenders, it shouldn't be an issue.

:banana: 1000 posts.

thanks for saving me the trouble of going with a travel agent. I don't generally run fenders on this bike though I know I should for aesthetic justice. I've got a fenderized 26" for the rough stuff!

I normally use a tire that measures out to about a 34.5, and sees 90% dry pavement. Descending at anything over 30mph is not fun, I have to yank on the levers super hard at points and it's slowly giving me significant pain in my wrists. Have adjusted these things to hell. I switched to kool stops and although they were slightly better, it's still not enough for me.

wombatspeed
01-07-2014, 02:58 AM
those are the lengths you should look for in a mini-v. The price differences don't really affect function but just reflect fancier looks.

If you want a bit more pad-rim clearance try the 80mm length available in various Tektro models. 85mm gives more (than needed) power if that is what you want.

For super muddy CX races mini-v's are not perfect, unless you run Campy levers that let you use the brake quick release

Vinci
01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
I have used mini-V's (TRP CX9) on my Cross Check with road levers (Tektro R100) for a couple years. They worked fine, but always felt kinda mushy. They also JUST cleared my fenders. I don't think anything shorter would clear my fenders at all.

I just recently swapped my levers for Tektro RL520's (long-pull road levers) and the feel is MUCH better, though I haven't been able to commute with them yet since I installed them.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2014, 09:04 AM
I am looking to add mini-v's to my cross check. If my research is correct, these will work with road STI levers. several shops have told me this isn't the case, but as i understand it the pull for mini-v's is shorter than V's are, and therefore, it should be okay.

I also understand that regular V's will work with a travel agent. is this a better decision? will i get more clearance with a regular sized v brake?

lastly, I'm wondering which model of Kool-stops will fit the mini-v's, particluary the tektro rx5s, which have 8.5cm arms (these are the model i'm set on going with for now.

Mini Vs, being 'mini', are designed to work with road levers. Your several bike shops need to look for 'the clue'.

Both mini vs and full size, with a travel agent, will be pretty close to rim but are very strong, either highly recommended by me. Straddle cable a little close to tire so fender may be an issue but they are strong.

Likes2ridefar
01-07-2014, 09:39 AM
having tried both TRP mini v with road levers and various v brakes with travel agents, I would take the travel agent option if I had the choice. They allow more rim/pad clearance and feel better, imo.

XTR + travel agent is a great combo.

druptight
01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm running the rx5's for a few hundred commuting miles at this point with campy 10 speed brifters, with fenders on Conti 28 4 seasons, no issues. Using koolstop salmons to start (took stock pads off without trying them), and they're good. Got rid of my shudder, still get some squeal from time to time on the rear.

They provide plenty of clearance above a 28 tire on my bike to fit a fender, but it will be dependent on your individual bike, the stud position, fender drop from crown, etc.

rice rocket
01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I ran the shortie BMX Tektro 926AL mini-Vs (80mm) w/ Koolstop cross pads on 6700 levers.

Very stiff, very overpowered, not that much rim clearance, but my Planet Bike fenders cleared (CAAD9X w/ Easton fork).

I didn't ride cross with it though, just a gravel bike w/ 33mm Gran Bois tires.

Don't know how you guys ride w/ the 8.4 or 9cm mini-Vs without endo-ing at every intersection. ;)

foon
01-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Don't know how you guys ride w/ the 8.4 or 9cm mini-Vs without endo-ing at every intersection. ;)

I went on a ride recently with two other friends running mini-Vs. We all have the 8.4 TRP, but their brakes are MUCH more grabby than mine. I have koolstop salmon and they have the stock pads. When I tried their brakes I was surprised by how hard it grabs too. But then, none of us has any problems riding on the trails.

mudhead
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm running the 926ALs on a crosscheck with 9sp 105 STI levers. They will stop you quickly with no modulation. Very little clearance with 35c tires and neither my SKS standard fenders or raceblade style fenders will work w/out cutting.

rice rocket
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I went on a ride recently with two other friends running mini-Vs. We all have the 8.4 TRP, but their brakes are MUCH more grabby than mine. I have koolstop salmon and they have the stock pads. When I tried their brakes I was surprised by how hard it grabs too. But then, none of us has any problems riding on the trails.

Hmm, maybe it's the pads...they were the Koolstop cross pads, so it would make sense that they would be extra grabby for when it's covered in muck. Two of the three pads were black, the middle being salmon (not to say that all black compounds are grabby, but it wasn't straight salmon).

Koolstop only says "Our sleek light weight cross pad with our triple compound technology is a great choice for competitive cross bike racers." Okay...thanks for the info.......

Vinci
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Kool Stop's pad descriptions are pretty hilarious. Salmon pads are made for wet conditions, but salmon/black also work well in wet. Oh, and black pads work in the wet too! :rolleyes:

Mark McM
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Kool Stop's pad descriptions are pretty hilarious. Salmon pads are made for wet conditions, but salmon/black also work well in wet. Oh, and black pads work in the wet too! :rolleyes:

But are they stiff yet compliant?

Steve in SLO
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Either I am insensitive or a lard a$s or both. I have never felt my mini v brakes were too grabby. I have run the 926, RX5 models with stock pads and campy levers, and never had a problem. I do tend to do lots of my braking on greater than 4-5% grades, fwiw.

ais99spoke
01-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Not that widely available - but just wanted to throw in that shimano has a confusingly offered "compact v brake" that they have in their flat bar road category... but Isn't technically compatible with drop bar road lever pull. Go figure.

Looks like this-

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/BR-R353_B.jpg

Vinci
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
But are they stiff yet compliant?
Both laterally and vertically.