PDA

View Full Version : Flo 30 wheels.

Shortsocks
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Looking at getting a pair of these Flo 30 wheels for myself. Have been reading reviews of them everywhere and rarely if ever do I see any negative reviews. Trying to find a used pair of Zipp 101's and even used 101's cost more than a brand new pair of Flo 30's....

Anyone have any long term reviews of the 30's or input? 500 bucks seems too good to be true for an aero alum wheel. Or does anyone have any coupons for the? :)

What do you say?

yoshirider
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
I have a pair of them and I actually prefer the look of these wheels over my Zipp 303 Firecrest Clincher wheelset.

They're fast on flats and I can't tell the difference between these and my Dura Ace 7850 wheels on climbs (Strava shows my times as pretty much the same). Keep in mind that I swapped the hub for a PowerTap G3 so it is heavier than the stock build.

As for comfort, I have only ridden it on my CAAD10 and Socal roads are pretty smooth so I can't really comment on that.

I've only experienced cross winds a couple times. I remember one occurrence in particular. There was an strong gust of wind out of nowhere (it was not a windy day) and these wheels felt as stable as my lower profile rim.

One complaint I have about the wheels is it is VERY difficult to mount tires on them sometimes. I had trouble with some Michelin folding tires and even GP4000s. However, someone showed me a technique over the weekend and we were able to get tires back on a lot quicker after replacing a tube. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

phcollard
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I would be interested in hearing from owners as well. Looks like a nice all around wheel that is priced decently.

That being said the "pre sale get ready to hit the buy it now button as soon as we send you an email" marketing is really bugging me. I can't believe these guys are unable to stock their stuff.

Shortsocks
01-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I have a pair of them and I actually prefer the look of these wheels over my Zipp 303 Firecrest Clincher wheelset.

They're fast on flats and I can't tell the difference between these and my Dura Ace 7850 wheels on climbs (Strava shows my times as pretty much the same). Keep in mind that I swapped the hub for a PowerTap G3 so it is heavier than the stock build.

As for comfort, I have only ridden it on my CAAD10 and Socal roads are pretty smooth so I can't really comment on that.

I've only experienced cross winds a couple times. I remember one occurrence in particular. There was an strong gust of wind out of nowhere (it was not a windy day) and these wheels felt as stable as my lower profile rim.

One complaint I have about the wheels is it is VERY difficult to mount tires on them sometimes. I had trouble with some Michelin folding tires and even GP4000s. However, someone showed me a technique over the weekend and we were able to get tires back on a lot quicker after replacing a tube. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

How many miles do you have on your Flo 30's? Always wonder how long it takes for the black to wear off the braking area....looks really good btw.

Seems that people prefer riding these over their deeper wheels, crosswind and not having to change out pads....

Thanks for the review.

rice rocket
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Nice cabinets...I was just on Sears.com looking at those... :)

yoshirider
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I have about 500 miles on them. About half of those miles were on an indoor trainer. The brake track is still black for the most part. Only the rear wheel has some silver lines on it.

tribarbet
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I haven't heard or read any bad reviews on Flo wheels. I have a pair of Flo 30's. I bought them on their last pre-order and because of winter they're pretty new (about 100 miles). I couldn't tell you yet how long it takes for the black to wear off.

I really like them. Fast on flats, comfortable on crappy roads (the wide rims make a difference), and although they are maybe on the heavy side I cannot tell that much of a difference on the hills over my 404's. Plus they look great.

Hope it helps.

Mark McM
01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
That being said the "pre sale get ready to hit the buy it now button as soon as we send you an email" marketing is really bugging me. I can't believe these guys are unable to stock their stuff.

I appears that Flo Cycling is now able to stock the Flo 30 model for immediate shipping. The other wheels are still sold via the "pre-order" system, however.

See the details on their web page: http://flocycling.com/

Shortsocks
01-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I appears that Flo Cycling is now able to stock the Flo 30 model for immediate shipping. The other wheels are still sold via the "pre-order" system, however.

See the details on their web page: http://flocycling.com/

Thats odd. I just went to order the Flo 30's, 10 speed, black/black, <198lbs and they said "Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!"

Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

yoshirider
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Call or email Jon. He's very quick with his responses and should be able to help you out.

702-529-4799
http://www.flocycling.com/contact.php

phcollard
01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Thats odd. I just went to order the Flo 30's, 10 speed, black/black, <198lbs and they said "Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!"

Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Same here. I wish I could buy them though.

yoshirider
01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Same here. I wish I could buy them though.

I noticed you're located in Canada. They ship via UPS so expect to pay hefty brokerage fees if purchasing direct from FLO :(

BumbleBeeDave
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM
. . . until now. Just took a look at the website and those are some great prices.

But am I understanding the listed specs correctly that for the 60 and 90 these are aluminum rims with carbon fairings, not actually all carbon rims?

Looks like a great deal on the 30's. Not to hijack the thread, but I've been really happy with my Boyd's I got last spring--all carbon equivalents to ZIPP 404's. Boyd also has a 30 model aluminum wheel, 75 grams lighter for the set and only $400 . . .

http://www.boydcycling.com/30mm-rouleur/

BBD

rice rocket
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Their profile is pretty good, they certainly did their research (or copying) there and it shows. I'd say right up there w/ the new Firecrests and such in stability (I won't try to measure speed gains), I had FLO 90s and found them to be pretty awesome even in really windy days (but I also have a pretty aero optimized frame too).

Their fabrication + QC is superb, they really did their homework there as well. My only caveat is they are chunky (2100g for the 90s), and don't ride in the wet if you want to keep your brake tracks black for more than 10 miles. ;) That said, they DO brake in the wet, unlike most carbon rims w/ carbon brake tracks.

phcollard
01-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I noticed you're located in Canada. They ship via UPS so expect to pay hefty brokerage fees if purchasing direct from FLO :(

Oh damn. No. UPS go to hell!

Bummer.

stuckey
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I have a pair with a few thousand miles on them and they have been fine so far. The black is just starting to wear off, I do not tend to brake much though.

Shortsocks
01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Jon got back to me super quickly. Here was his response to me:

"Thanks for writing. I am sorry we are out of stock. We plan to have more wheels near the end of January and will sell them as during Order 10. Since you are on our newsletter list we will be sure to keep you updated. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Take care,

Jon Thornham"

Okay. So I have until the end of Jan.
Oh well. It's pretty damn cold in Dallas so I'm in no particular rush.

Mark McM
01-07-2014, 09:54 AM
But am I understanding the listed specs correctly that for the 60 and 90 these are aluminum rims with carbon fairings, not actually all carbon rims?

That's right. The philosophy at Flo Cycling is that they want to provide the best bang for the performance buck. Since aerodynamics matters far more than weight, they used a construction method that gave the best aerodynamic shape at the least cost (which was an aluminum extrusion rim with a carbon fairing glued on). They are heavy, but on flat and rolling courses weight has only a miniscule effect, so Flo wheels can give 90% of the benefit at 50% of the cost of all carbon wheels.

Canadian
02-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Looking at getting a pair of these Flo 30 wheels for myself. Have been reading reviews of them everywhere and rarely if ever do I see any negative reviews. Trying to find a used pair of Zipp 101's and even used 101's cost more than a brand new pair of Flo 30's....

Anyone have any long term reviews of the 30's or input? 500 bucks seems too good to be true for an aero alum wheel. Or does anyone have any coupons for the? :)

What do you say?

Thanks for asking about our products. You mentioned the price sounded too good to be true. I understand why you would say that so I wanted to explain why the price is so low. Our prices are set where they are because we sell directly to the consumer. Many other companies sell via a standard distribution model. It looks like this...

Manufacturer -> Owner -> Distributor -> Retail Store -> You

Our model looks like this...

Manufacturer -> Owner -> You

The simple fact is the fewer people who get there hands on the product before it gets to you, the less you pay.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about our products.

Take care,

Canadian
02-11-2014, 10:35 AM
How many miles do you have on your Flo 30's? Always wonder how long it takes for the black to wear off the braking area....looks really good btw.

Seems that people prefer riding these over their deeper wheels, crosswind and not having to change out pads....

Thanks for the review.

The black brake track wear will depend on your riding conditions and style. For example, wet conditions really speed up the rate at which the black color wears off. If you ride in dry conditions, the black color will stay a very long time.

Obviously other conditions like brake pads, and how much you brake also play into the equation.

I hope that helps,

Take care,

Canadian
02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Actually that is not correct. We only ship via USPS to internationally, including Canada, because the rates are much more reasonable. In the very beginning we tried a few shipments internationally via UPS, and quickly learned that was a bad idea.

Take care,

Canadian
02-11-2014, 10:40 AM
. . . until now. Just took a look at the website and those are some great prices.

Looks like a great deal on the 30's. Not to hijack the thread, but I've been really happy with my Boyd's I got last spring--all carbon equivalents to ZIPP 404's. Boyd also has a 30 model aluminum wheel, 75 grams lighter for the set and only $400 . . .

BBD

That is true. All of our wheels have aluminum rims with carbon fiber fairings.

Canadian
02-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh damn. No. UPS go to hell!

Bummer.

We actually only ship to Canada via USPS. The other users comments were incorrect. UPS rates are simply too high.

Tony
02-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Boyd also has a 30 model aluminum wheel, 75 grams lighter for the set and only $400 . . .

BBD

However, I think those are only 19mm wide rims.

Shortsocks
02-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Well ····. Look at this! FLO is on our forum!
How cool is that? I actually ordered a set of Flo 30's on the most recent order. Looking forward to riding them. I found the order day to go pretty flawlessly

Black Dog
02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
We actually only ship to Canada via USPS. The other users comments were incorrect. UPS rates are simply too high.

Good thing to clear up.

So Flo guy you are in Las Vegas and your username is Canadian. Are you guys ex-pats?

Shortsocks
02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Good thing to clear up.

So Flo guy you are in Las Vegas and your username is Canadian. Are you guys ex-pats?
I was wondering the same thing.