PDA

View Full Version : Tire recomendations for heavy people

Dave B
01-25-2006, 07:46 AM
I want a set of clinchers for a new wheels set that can withstand 125 to 130+ PSI. As a heavier :) rider I could use some help on this one. Money is an object and am looking to get the tires without spending waaaay too much!

Thanks

Prez

Larry
01-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Continental Gatorskins.........25 mm width.
Tough and not extremely heavy.

flydhest
01-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Why such a high pressure? I assert that larger people will do well to go for 700x25 tires. Pressure around 120 is still a bit on the high side, in my ho, but give that a shot.

Oh, Michelin Carbon Pros

http://worldclasscycles.com/clincher_tires_only.htm

Erik.Lazdins
01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure what you classify as heavy, but I consider myself heavy for a rider. I'm 190 and have ridden the last 30,000 miles on Michelin Carbon tires. The rear tire typically lasts 3,000 miles.

With regard to pressures - I used to run 125 psi and experienced a fair number of flats. Over the past couple years I began running 105 to 115 and the flat rate decreased. That said, I always scan the tires for embedded sand, glass etc.

If I'm not mistaken Michelin has just changed the Carbon to a new tire which goes about $35 each. Once I run out of my current supply I'll give this one a try.

Good luck and good riding

Serotta PETE
01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Michelin Pro or Hutchinson. Work well for the folks that I know who we call "MR".

PETE :)

William
01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
I've used various Conti's, Specialized, Michelins etc... The key to a tire for a big guy (and I'm a lean 255 - 260) is going to a 25 or 28 c. When racing I would use a 23 in front and 25 in back. For training I would use a 28. I resisted for a long time but I just got sick of flatting frequently. When I went to 28's the incidents went way down. There really isn't that much of a weight difference (yes we've been over that one many times before here), but when your talking BIG GUYS, it's a different ballgame.

My $.02,

William

SoCalSteve
01-25-2006, 10:41 AM
6' 5" 245-250 lbs...

I use Michelin ProRace2's on all my bikes using both 23's and 25's...

On the 23's the pressure I use is 120-125 and the 25's 110-115.

They are extremely comfortable and I never pinch flat.

They arent the cheapest tires around, but you can usually find great deals on them on ebay. Under $70.00 shipped for a pair.

Good luck!

Steve

coylifut
01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
...I have a few comments on the Michelin Carbons and the Gatorskins. I'm murder on tires and have found both of these to hold up quite well. The Michelin seems to be a bit more tuff and a little lighter. They are a bit dead feeling though. The rubber compound on the Gator skin seems to be stickier and the tire has a much better road feel, but they are heavier and not as flat resistant.

I use these tires on a bike with full fenders and heavy-duty wheels so I don't care what they weigh. With that said, I've destroyed both brands and I'm currently riding the Carbon on the back and the Gator skin on the front. You can get the Carbons for $26.95 at biketiresdirect.com

vaxn8r
01-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I want a set of clinchers for a new wheels set that can withstand 125 to 130+ PSI. As a heavier :) rider I could use some help on this one. Money is an object and am looking to get the tires without spending waaaay too much!

Thanks

Prez
I wouldn't overdo this. What I mean is that a lot of the "heavy duty" tires completely take the fun out of riding. Like several others of recommended, we use Michelin 25 Race Pros on our tandem with a rider/bike weight well in excess of 300 lbs. We put about 95-100psi just like they recommend. It's a fantastic riding tire with decent wear.