PDA

View Full Version : Solder cables?

nm87710
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Maybe I'm just old skool but I seem to be the only person I know who still solders my cable ends. Anybody else still solder 'em?

Keith Lewis
01-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Maybe I'm just old skool but I seem to be the only person I know who still solders my cable ends. Anybody else still solder 'em?
NO! I burn mine off with an Oxy-Acetylene torch and it seals the ends. Also saves having to have a cable cutter (although I do use the cutter for the housings).

Kahuna
01-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Dude, I would if I could. Attempted and failed miserably many times. Tried silver solder, nickel solder, flux, no flux, low heat, high heat. Iron, butane, acetone wash, u-name-it.

Just call me Captain Crimp-on.

Feel free to share the secret!

loctite
01-25-2006, 05:46 AM
We solder the cables on every bike we sell. Looks GREAT,
1. Sand cable tips
2. paste flux.
3. ACID core sloder.

Also make sure you get the cable hot enough before applying solder.

cycleman_21
01-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Torches? whoa easy now, just did my buddys bike yesterday with a little soldering iron and acid core solder, worked like a charm, and you can take the tip of the iron and roll it around the cable end to make it smooth and neat. Now just be careful where the excess solder falls, and practice on your cutoffs first.

Ron C

cpg
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
I do. It's pimpin'. I usually silver braze them though. It sticks better to stainless cables.

Curt

ctric
01-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Absolutely, it's the only way to fly.

Got back to cycling after 15 years away. Just built up a CDA.
Final touches: Solder and cut and glue the bar tape.