PDA

View Full Version : Overhauling Dura Ace sti levers

sales guy
01-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Not sure if anyone has done it before. But I was working on mine and honestly, kind of pissed. Between mine and a friends 7700 sti lever, same model mind you, they have different internals!!

Very surprised.

The Shimano tech manual actually has a couple pieces in reverse from the shifters I have. Totally weird. Not sure why, but I did get them overhauled(completely stripped down, cleaned and relubed).

I just find it really odd that they are that far off. Even from same model to model.

cmbicycles
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
They could be different in part if one is flightdeck compatible. I have a mixed set on one bike and the flightdeck shifter body is slightly longer than the one without. Other than the main ratchet gear they were similar internals... at least the ones I had apart.

sales guy
01-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Both sets are flightdeck models. Both are 7700-C models.

For whatever reason, like I said, some of the parts are even installed differently than the tech sheet by Shimano. It's really weird. Some completely different parts, not just from the tech specs, but also between the two models. Really odd.

Ken Robb
01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
unlike the two-way Ultegras the Dura Ace shifters of that period were either double ring or triple ring specific. Might that explain your findings?

guyintense
01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I run nothing but 7700 on my bikes and have noticed a few versions of their shifters in my sometimes successful attempts at repairs. Never worked on a triple though.
You might find this link helpful:

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/shimanosti/duraace9sti/strip.php

redir
01-06-2014, 07:56 AM
I took apart a 9-speed Ultegra shifter and could never put it back together again.

What are you a watch maker or somthin'?

sales guy
01-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I took apart a 9-speed Ultegra shifter and could never put it back together again.

What are you a watch maker or somthin'?

No, a bike mechanic who's worked in the industry for almost 30 years in many different ways. Wrench for pros and in a shop, designer and manufacturer of components, worked for a couple bike companies and as a GM for a company.

Although, when I owned a shop, a watch shop guy who was a customer asked me to work for him if I was every interested cause I fixed his sti lever back in the day. He thought I'd be good at it. And I do like a nice watch.

No, these are both doubles. And I've seen the Norvil site thing. I've done the repairs without his site. Actually, I don't find his site helpful. Not enough info in my opinion. And the internals are not the same. Again, it's really odd, but the internals are totally different than I've seen. Like they switched cause of durability issues or something. Or ran out of parts or something. Really odd, even compared to another exact same model(supposedly).

I've fixed dura ace and others before. Done my shifter dunks to free up the nasty grease before also. These are my personal ones. So I stripped them down. I don't mind the time and work. Plus I like it. And then they'll be good to go for along time.

bcroslin
01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Is it possible the shifters have been overhauled once before and not put back together correctly?

sales guy
01-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Is it possible the shifters have been overhauled once before and not put back together correctly?

One would think that, but they shift! If the parts were in incorrectly, they wouldn't work. And they shift and brake just fine. Not sure why they are the way they are. The return spring thing, that's odd also. They are reversed. Left to right/right to left. But like I said, they shift and brake just fine. So not sure what's up.

kgreene10
01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Not to hijack but can anyone fix my rear 7800 sti that misses shifts? Seems like it might have just "worn out" - is a shifter with that diagnosis repairable?

sales guy
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Not to hijack but can anyone fix my rear 7800 sti that misses shifts? Seems like it might have just "worn out" - is a shifter with that diagnosis repairable?

I've done two set so far successfully(stripping, cleaning, relubing, rebuilding). Happy to offer the help if you want.

The missing shifts could be the grease solidifying. Or, you could have a worn piece. No way to know till it's stripped apart though.

Jeff N.
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
You guys have more patience than I do. Whenever I've ever had shifters that need overhauling, which is rare, I'll usually:
1. Slam-dunk them in the nearest recepticle.
2. Buy a new pair.

sales guy
01-06-2014, 05:01 PM
The biggest problem with Shimano sti levers, whether mountain or road is the grease gets solid in them. Usually I take them apart, put them in a citrus degreaser for a few horse, scrub them down, rinse them off and relubed. Worked perfect after that. These dura ace ones are personal, so I figured I would do a total disassembly. That way I don't Have to worry about them for a long time.

jtakeda
01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Is it possible the shifters came from different factories?

Factory 1 likes to do it a certain way
Factory 2 likes to build em another way?

Did you and your friend buy the shifters from the same place.
I.e. You bought at LBS, he bought online from a international retailer?

thirdgenbird
01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Ford does (or did) things that way. The Romeo plant did things one way and Windsor did it another. You have to know where your 4.6 came from to order parts. I believe the designs started out the same (or close) but each one made changes independent of the other.

sales guy
01-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Is it possible the shifters came from different factories?

Factory 1 likes to do it a certain way
Factory 2 likes to build em another way?

Did you and your friend buy the shifters from the same place.
I.e. You bought at LBS, he bought online from a international retailer?

Both bought roughly the same time(same year) and from the same supplier.

I'm not sure. Both say japan on them. Both show the same model number. I have no clue. It's just funny and I figured I would see if anyone on here overhauls stuff too, vs the trash bin way.

thirdgenbird
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM
I overhaul stuff, but never an sti.

01-06-2014, 08:53 PM
No, a bike mechanic who's worked in the industry for almost 30 years in many different ways. Wrench for pros and in a shop, designer and manufacturer of components, worked for a couple bike companies and as a GM for a company.

Although, when I owned a shop, a watch shop guy who was a customer asked me to work for him if I was every interested cause I fixed his sti lever back in the day. He thought I'd be good at it. And I do like a nice watch.

No, these are both doubles. And I've seen the Norvil site thing. I've done the repairs without his site. Actually, I don't find his site helpful. Not enough info in my opinion. And the internals are not the same. Again, it's really odd, but the internals are totally different than I've seen. Like they switched cause of durability issues or something. Or ran out of parts or something. Really odd, even compared to another exact same model(supposedly).

I've fixed dura ace and others before. Done my shifter dunks to free up the nasty grease before also. These are my personal ones. So I stripped them down. I don't mind the time and work. Plus I like it. And then they'll be good to go for along time.

I'd like to tell you that the shifters are so versatile that they even work when parts are installed backwards. But actually, Shimano is always updating the internals on their equipment, especially on STI levers. By the time you get to a new generation of Dura Ace, the prior version already has acquired many of the updates of the new generation. This lets them test out engineering changes and keeps improving the product. They aren't alone in this, but it means that you can have half a dozen bikes and none of the levers are the same inside. I've taken apart quite a number of them and never had the same internals twice.

The basic answer to the question of how to deal with STI mechanical failures is, very simply, ................... Di2.

Gblumenstock
01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Did you take any pictures of your overhaul and the differences? I would be interested to see them.

GB

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

sales guy
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Did you take any pictures of your overhaul and the differences? I would be interested to see them.

GB

I didn't sadly. I will. I don't have them installed yet so I could pull them apart again. Wouldn't be tragic to do it.

Keith A
01-11-2014, 08:38 PM
So it sounds like you were able to do the overhaul and get everything back together.

sales guy
01-11-2014, 09:56 PM
So it sounds like you were able to do the overhaul and get everything back together.

Oh there was never an issue getting them back together. The thread was about just the weirdness that two supposedly identical shifters bought from the same place around the same time being very different. Even to the point that left internals were on the right and right on the left. Just super odd. But yeah, they are together and work fine. Completely degreased, relubed and rebuilt.

fiataccompli
01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm just impressed to hear of someone successfully rebuilding Shimano road STI ....and doing so many times over. I am usually successful with cleaning / relubing but had come to believe the lore that mortal humans can not rebuild STI.

curious...is 105 and Ultegra also as easily rebuilt? (Sorry for the semi-hijack there)

sales guy
01-11-2014, 11:05 PM
No worries. You're not hijacking at all.

The dura ace is the more difficult. But you can rebuild all models of sti lever. Ultegra and 105 are virtually the same depending on year. But yeah, it can be done. I've done not sure how many dura ace ones now over the years whether a full overhaul or a dunk and relube. The Ultegra and 105's, a dozen or so each. I can do them without a manual or whatever. Which, there really isn't a manual for them. There is a guy who put something up on the net. But I don't think it's 100 percent perfect. Takes a bit to follow it. For me anyways.

Mr.Bean
01-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Shimano quality is exceptional across the board so even though they are very different I would not attempt to service them. Unlike the Sram stuff they are not made to be taken apart

oldpotatoe
01-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Shimano quality is exceptional across the board so even though they are very different I would not attempt to service them. Unlike the Sram stuff they are not made to be taken apart

It can be done tho..the issue is that shimano, bless their hearts, provide zero small parts. AND sram, in spite of their initial 'rebuild just like Campagnolo', BS, don't either. They spouted some BS as trying to control innards, so no Red levers with apex type innards type poppycock. I'd say sram has more of an issue with QC than lever innards. Maybe they ought to try owning the factory instead of sub contracting their manufacturing.

sales guy
01-12-2014, 08:55 AM

Actually, they are meant to be rebuilt, to a point. Shimano back in the day did offer replacement parts. They offered the blade as a complete unit for rebuilds and a bunch of other small parts.

If you go look at the tech docs, or as Old knows, they used to have binders filled with the tech pages so you could order small parts and see exactly what they used, sizes of pieces(thread sizes, bearings, axle length etc.) what they were called and everything.

I used to love when they would have an update. Was like Christmas redoing the binders. I haven't seen an update in ages, but everything is still online to view.

Old is right though, campy is the only true rebuildable brand still. They've gone more and more away from it, but you can still do it more than others. Which is a very nice feature and reason to buy Campy.

Gblumenstock
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
What did you use to relube?

GB

sales guy
01-12-2014, 02:03 PM
What did you use to relube?

GB

I use my own mixture of Finish Line Grease and TriFlow. I do the same with Mavic freehub bodies. Quiets things down, but not too gooey where the pawls don't engage. Been doing it for years. Works great. Both are waterproof. Both readily available to mere mortals. And they last a long time. The triflow thins out the grease enough that everything is smooth.

For a normal dunk and lube, Phil or finish line cross country/wet lube. But in the foaming spray bottle. It penetrates wonderfully.

I've yet to have issues on any of the relubed/rebuilt or dunk and lube shifters I've done. Been doing it since 94. Saves people money.

Sign of a great wrench is being able to fix things before they happen OR fix things others can't or won't. I've made a ton of long time customers being able to do both for them. Got to fly some kickass jets cause of it!

Gblumenstock
01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Much appreciated. I will try that mix on my shifters.

GB

Ahneida Ride
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
The basic answer to the question of how to deal with STI mechanical failures is, very simply, ................... Di2.

Best answer is Retroshift ! http://www.retroshift.com/ :banana:

oldpotatoe
01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Best answer is Retroshift ! http://www.retroshift.com/ :banana:

Hardly. Decent LBS' or people that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' either recognize there is little to go wrong with Campagnolo Ultrashift or buy a Lever or 2 for small parts, or both. The others are in the 'Bic lighter' category.

Or buy EPS.

sales guy
01-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Much appreciated. I will try that mix on my shifters.

GB

No worries. I do a thin-ish layer of grease on the parts and then put some triflow in there in the shifter ratchet mech. I do the same with the mavic freehub bodies. Coat everything, then thin it out with a drip bottle of triflow. Nice and silent and works great. Just can't put a ton of grease in though.

sales guy
01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Hardly. Decent LBS' or people that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' either recognize there is little to go wrong with Campagnolo Ultrashift or buy a Lever or 2 for small parts, or both. The others are in the 'Bic lighter' category.

Or buy EPS.

I agree. It's sad that most of the things are landfill now. Vs campy and it's ability to be overhauled and rebuilt properly. I'm a big fan of fix at all costs and replace only when necessary.