PDA

View Full Version : anyone else fighting off an illness? bronchitis here...

wallymann
01-05-2014, 10:09 AM
i normally start my pre-season training on jan-01, but i picked up a bug of some sort from my wife, whom got it from my mother, and am dealing with a case of bronchitis. i'm supremely pissed off right now!

i also had bronchitis last jan and didnt respect the illness and ended up with 3 recurrences that spread the condition over the entire jan/feb timeframe -- couldnt resume training until march...now that SUCKED BIG TIME!

so i'm not going to be a hero this year, first priority is GET HEALTHY. when i've got that in hand, then i'll look at training.

anyone else dealing with an illness of some sort?

AngryScientist
01-05-2014, 10:26 AM
just now starting to feel back to normal after battling some type of bug. hang in there, let your body tell you when you're ready, i've made the same mistakes in the past, rushing fitness back is a sure fire way to do just the opposite. heal up!

ecsnsmb
01-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Heal up quick! Just had walking pneumonia for the last month. Seriously blows. Tried to go for a few short rides and just ended up in a hacking mess on the curb. It's amazing how fast the fitness goes away too.. Got some work to do now! Best of luck!

Wilkinson4
01-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Yes, going on 3 weeks. If I didn't get a flu shot I swear it was the flu. Could have been a different strain I guess. But, still dry coughing.

mIKE

eddief
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
malaise. Not a bad cold, not the flu, but a bothersome throat and chest niggle.

malcolm
01-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Yes, going on 3 weeks. If I didn't get a flu shot I swear it was the flu. Could have been a different strain I guess. But, still dry coughing.

mIKE

On an individual basis the flu shot is about 70% effective in the best of years.

As bad as that sounds you should still get vaccinated because it's the herd that you are concerned about and if everyone gets one and they are 70% effective that will decrease the viral load of the herd considerable thereby protecting all of us.

parco
01-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Same as eddief. Little throat tickle, small amount of upper chest stuff and a small cough, low grade headache. It just won't go away. Been about two weeks now.

Seramount
01-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Same as eddief. Little throat tickle, small amount of upper chest stuff and a small cough, low grade headache. It just won't go away. Been about two weeks now.

my office is infested with this...we had 40% affected and 20% absent at one point. apparently, it's a virus and all those that sought medical help didn't get anything but a Rx for cough syrup...

plus, cedar pollen is at astronomically high levels right now which is not helping anything...

damn cough is annoying as hell.

NickR
01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Same here, hit twice on thanksgiving week and new years week, it sucks.

NickR
01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
To makw matters worse, we've had nothing but great riding weather in SoCal.

kgreene10
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Nasty flu, bad enough I couldn't get out of bed for eight days, then a sinus infection, then bronchitis. It's literally been four weeks and I'm still feeling crappy. I managed to ride yesterday for an hour at a pace I did for seven hours a few months ago -- and I was exhausted yesterday.

The Austin area road races are all packed in Feb and March. That's not happening. Getting sick at the wrong time can really screw the season.

SpeedyChix
01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
i normally start my pre-season training on jan-01, but i picked up a bug of some sort from my wife, whom got it from my mother, and am dealing with a case of bronchitis. i'm supremely pissed off right now!

i also had bronchitis last jan and didnt respect the illness and ended up with 3 recurrences that spread the condition over the entire jan/feb timeframe -- couldnt resume training until march...now that SUCKED BIG TIME!

so i'm not going to be a hero this year, first priority is GET HEALTHY. when i've got that in hand, then i'll look at training.

Good time to be smart. Load of H1N1 fatalities in healthy folks and a dozen in critical condition in Michigan.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I've had a bad case of sinusitis for three weeks now. Finished my 10-day supply of antibiotics but still dealing with sinus drainage and sneezing. My nose is raw from blowing it to clear my sinuses. Can't sleep, either, because of the drainage and sneezing.

Started riding again in earnest this week, though, as I can't wait this out any longer.

mgm777
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Wallyman - I've been dealing with the same issue since Christmas. Constant cough, chest tightness. What did you do to recover, other than rest? I did get a flu shot this year.

jamie789
01-05-2014, 02:42 PM
That sucks, I had chronic bronchitis for years when I was little and a teenager. Got it bad 3 times a year and coughed a lot the rest of the time, everyone thought I just chain smoked all the time. Make sure you get a lot of rest and do anything you can to keep stress (mental and physical/systemic) down. Diet can do a lot to reduce internal inflammation and systemic stress. I try to stick to unprocessed foods in the simplest (simple vs complex carbs, amino acids vs protein) form so the digestive system has to do as little work as possible. Although changing your diet too much at one time can tax your system too.
Hope you get your strength back soon.

Ken Robb
01-05-2014, 03:35 PM
10th day of bronchitis here and I THINK I may be getting a little better today.

maxn
01-06-2014, 06:06 AM
2.5 weeks of being a mucus factory here. I feel your pain, my brothers and sisters!

HenryA
01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Got a nasty head cold at Thanksgiving, barely well by Christmas and then sick again by New Years. Hacked up a lung this morning, but otherwise feeling better.

kykr13
01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Hadn't been sick in years, but I caught it just before Christmas. Mostly better now but the cough has been hanging on still. Going around here, for sure.

joep2517
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
knocking on wood - as this is the first time in a few years I haven't been sick to start of the new year. BUT in the past three months I've had medical procedures done that have taken me off the bike. Last year ended on an off note. I'm hoping to heal up soon so that I can start to ride.

Waldo
01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Flu from hell. First week I had a fever and a cycle of chills-sweats-chills-sweats. Now I'm coughing up brownish-green loveliness. It'll be two weeks on Wednesday.

ChrisG
01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Apparently this throat/cough thing is going around. Mine arrived January 1, and since then I've done little but sit on the couch and mope around the house.

OTC cough suppressant has been necessary to get anything resembling sleep, but there's been only the slightest nasal congestion and nothing at all in my chest. Just spells of spasmodic coughing and the attendant sore throat.

Hopefully back on the bike by the end of the week.