PDA

View Full Version : Costco Novaform mattress

Kingfisher
01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Anyone bought/used this type of mattress? Wife and I need a new mattress and this seems to be a cost effective alternative to tempur pedic, etc.
Reviews are mostly positive for an $800 mattress

blantonator
01-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Although the return policy is nice, i'd probably pass. If I recall it's the same mattress as a popular amazon model.

Check out brooklynbedding.com for tempurpedic alternatives. They come highly recommended.

Exonerv
01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
The wife & I purchased a 14" model earlier this year and have been quite satisfied with ours. However it's a firm mattress.

I picked up our queen model for $500 on sale. Factor in another $100 or so for building a platform if you don't already have something flat/sturdy to use as a base...box springs are not recommended. From my understanding Coscto will send a truck to pick it up if you're not happy with it.

Veloo
01-05-2014, 08:58 AM
I don't have this model but we've had a foam mattress for about 5 years.
I got it cuz we wanted a king size but there was no way a king coil mattress was going to fit through the tight path to the bedroom.

I do like the feel of our firm/ dense foam mattress. The only one thing is in the summer it can get hot since you since into it a bit more than you would a coiled mattress. My air conditioning in the bedroom is not the greatest so sometime I wake up in the middle of the night and the parts of my body that are sunk in and not getting much air flow feel like they are burning. That's me though, cuz I like cooler temperatures vs hot.
My wife is fine as she prefers a warmer sleeping environment.

Vientomas
01-05-2014, 09:24 AM
I have both - The Nova Foam and a Tempurpedic. The Nova Foam is more firm and not as comfy than the Tempurpedic, but it is much less expensive. I prefer the Nova Foam to a coil mattress and box spring.

Exonerv
01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Having owned one of the earlier generation foam mattresses, I have found the 14" gel model to be far better from a temperature standpoint.

eddief
01-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I always thought these guys looked interesting. Internet direct to your door. I sleep on a 9 inch slab of latex and have enjoyed it a lot. Not one of their's, but latex all the same. When I was researching latex, I spoke to them on the phone and it seemed like a no BS sales approach:

http://www.sleepez.com/

Lots to know about latex. (kinda like buying a bike.)

http://www.sleepez.com/buyer-guide.htm

wallymann
01-05-2014, 10:16 AM
it felt comfortable to snuggle into, but apparently we need more back-support than these foam deals offer. after getting our tempurpedic mattress, over time both wifey and i developed chronically sore & weak backs.

when we went back to our traditional coil-spring mattress our back-issues disappeared...VOILA! we've since moved our traditional mattress to a platform-style bed and our backs are still feeling great.

akelman
01-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I sleep on a 9 inch slab of latex and have enjoyed it a lot.

We have a latex mattress (from Ikea, so it was much less expensive than many alternatives (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188468/#/80188475)) and absolutely love it. This after years and years of experimenting with different options: traditional, memory foam, air, water, etc.

That said, mattresses are, more than any other item I can think of, a matter of taste. Which makes it essential that whatever you buy has a money-back guarantee. You REALLY want to be able to sleep on a new mattress for at least a month before you decide if it's right for you. I believe that Costco will allow you to do that.

azrider
01-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Instead of shelling out the cash for the entire mattress we opted for the Novaform "topper" and we couldn't be happier.

blessthismess
01-05-2014, 01:46 PM
With a mattress it is really all a matter of personal preference and circumstance. Me and my GF are both side-sleepers as well as light sleepers and we really saw a major difference after switching to a medium soft memory foam mattress. We both wake up less in the night and are less sore in the morning. You just need to find what works for you and your sleeping habits. Most mattress retailers will allow 30-120 days for a refund/exchange, make sure you give your self AT LEAST 30 days if not more before becoming locked in to your purchase. You will really never know till you sleep on a mattress for a while whether its right for you.

mcteague
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I HATE mattress shopping but needed a new one. After lots of searching I ended up here: http://www.bedinabox.com/
The quality is high and the price is low. Only issue is they are only direct sales. However, they have a killer return policy; 120 day trial and free return shipping if you don't like it. I got the PacBed Original with gel topping. Best mattress I have ever had and could not be more pleased. It comes compressed in an air-tight bag. Once you cut the bad open the mattress starts to swell to full thickness. There was a slight odor for a few days but that was the only negative.

Tim

buldogge
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Latex here as well…both a king in our room, with different densities either side of center and a twin in the boy's room. Both are SavvyRest via Clean Bedroom…both Talalay, if I remember correctly.

I think that they have remained comfortable for far longer than previous coil spring beds that we have had, and hopefully that continues to be the case, given the higher upfront cost.

-Mark in St. Louis

Ken Robb
01-05-2014, 03:40 PM
We bought a Healthy Back brand memory foam that felt good in the store but we realized that it was too soft when we got it home. We traded it back to them for a Tempurpedic that was firmer but slept too hot for us. Gave it to friends who like it fine. Bought a REALLY FIRM innerspring from COSTCO which works better for us but borders on being too firm. Either it has softened slightly with use or we have toughened up.
:banana:

pdmtong
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
not sure how costco ships their foam mattressess--- to come vacuum packed and folded. the idea was they would expand at home. well, the mattress never fully expanded and always had a low spot/crease. returned it.

have been on a temperpedic for years now...was upper-mid price. works great for us.

kgreene10
01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
We have two Novaform mattresses from Costco and have been sleeping on them for the past eight years. I love them and will never go back to a traditional mattress. My low-back pain is virtually gone. I actually like our older model that's less firm more than our newer one that is somewhat firmer.

One bit of advice - make sure the mattress rests on slats so today air circulates underneath it. We didn't do that with our first one and it molded. The instructions hadn't mentioned it so Costco took it back after several years in use. A great retailer.

mcteague
01-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Check out this site before you buy. Lots of useful info.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Tim

malbecman
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
We have this mattress and love it. It is firm like other memory foam products and takes a night or two to get used to it but we'd never go back to our old pillow top mattress. 2 big pluses in addition to the overall comfort: It does not sag when you sit on the edge and it also does not shake or shimmy at all when one sleeping partner rolls over at night; it's rock solid.
All memory foam mattresses weight a ton so you'll likely need a stronger platform and moving it is a pain. Our's came all rolled up and compressed in plastic....you heave it up on your platform, position it, slice open the plastic and let it expand for a couple of hours. :-)

Nathan
05-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Anyone bought/used this type of mattress? Wife and I need a new mattress and this seems to be a cost effective alternative to tempur pedic, etc.
Reviews are mostly positive for an $800 mattress

After reading reviews at SleepMentor (http://sleepmentor.org/the-best-novaform-mattress-review/) website, I bought Novaform foam mattress at Costco and put it on my box springs. The bed was very comfortable but it was too high. I had to jump up onto the bed. Not good for a 64 year old with a bad knee. I have now taken the bed off the box springs and it is too low. If I set on the bed it sinks and doesn't seem to have the support it had with the box springs.

Plus now its too hard to put the sheets on the bed. This bed requires deep pocketed sheets. Can't get this right may have to return it

velotrack
05-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Check out this site before you buy. Lots of useful info.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Tim

I would rather sleep alive, thanks.

:cool:

gavingould
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
we've been sleeping on one of the Ikea latex foam mattresses for 6-7 years now.

p nut
05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
We've had our Novaform from Costco for about 5 years. Was $400 at that time. It took a while to break in. It was very firm at first. But after a month or two, it got softer and really pleasant. My wife loves it and can't sleep on anything else (we are both side sleepers). I think this mattress still has some good life left, but if it goes out, we'll definitely be getting another.

Heat "issue"--I read about this before buying, but really hasn't been a problem for me. Our temps get over 100 degrees 30 days per year, but never been an issue.

roydyates
05-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't have this model but we've had a foam mattress for about 5 years.
I got it cuz we wanted a king size but there was no way a king coil mattress was going to fit through the tight path to the bedroom.

I do like the feel of our firm/ dense foam mattress. The only one thing is in the summer it can get hot since you since into it a bit more than you would a coiled mattress. My air conditioning in the bedroom is not the greatest so sometime I wake up in the middle of the night and the parts of my body that are sunk in and not getting much air flow feel like they are burning. That's me though, cuz I like cooler temperatures vs hot.
My wife is fine as she prefers a warmer sleeping environment.

+1 The temp issue with foam mattresses is tricky. My wife upgraded us to a Tempurpedic but then she found it was too warm for her and we switched back to our old traditional coil mattress.

schwa86
05-31-2014, 07:15 AM
I HATE mattress shopping but needed a new one. After lots of searching I ended up here: http://www.bedinabox.com/
The quality is high and the price is low. Only issue is they are only direct sales. However, they have a killer return policy; 120 day trial and free return shipping if you don't like it. I got the PacBed Original with gel topping. Best mattress I have ever had and could not be more pleased. It comes compressed in an air-tight bag. Once you cut the bad open the mattress starts to swell to full thickness. There was a slight odor for a few days but that was the only negative.

Tim

I bought one of these last fall as well. Could not be happier with the mattress or the speed of delivery etc. Came right to the door in a couple of days.