PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot?

hybridbellbaske
01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Look I know it's winter in the north and all....but it sure ain't down here in South Australia.

Last Friday 2,300 amateurs/wannabees (like my self) rode the annual Etape style ride along the south coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula, being that days's stage of the race. The race route was 154 kms, but I did a shorter version of 94 kms, starting at 8am.

hot, Hot, HOt, HOT!!!! Itwas about 35 degrees celsius when we started, with a strong north wind blowing- and it got up to at least 42 degrees along the way. Lots of tough hills. Would be a spectacular ride on a good day.

But, it was so hot and hard it was no fun- just a question of survival. Many riders did'nt finish- 25 were treated by Ambulance officers, 5 more were actually taken to hospital, with 2 of those ending up in the ICU.

So, how hot is too hot?

P.S. Serotta content- I finally saw another Serotta, apart from my Fierte, at the start- a lovely new Nove. There just are'nt many of them around down here.

yeehawfactor
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
it's gotta be very hot to not ride. the issue in charlotte is usually ozone. as long as you're not doing crazy efforts at 3 in the afternoon, you're fine. i've never seen a day here in boone to hot to ride, and there's a lot of climbing, so yeah.

jerk
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
we need a party sound.

Grant McLean
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
that's hot!

http://www.targetem.com/paris-hilton.jpg

-g

e-RICHIE
01-24-2006, 08:47 PM
that's hot!

http://www.targetem.com/paris-hilton.jpg

-g

dang

Grant McLean
01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
dang

richie-issimo,

It's a g-rated posting ...

Catulle
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
dang

Just chill....

jerk
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
hot.

BBB
01-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Related to hybridbellbaske's post, the Alpine Classic was held on Saturday just gone. This is an annual 200km ride through the mountains in Victoria. I am told by a guy who rode it that it reached up to 45 degrees celsius, or 110 plus degrees fahrenheit. Not sure of statistics about finishers/ambulance cases, but this same guy reckoned he drank 13 litres of water and did not have a toilet stop. That's a litre of water for every 15.3kms.

slowgoing
01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I can never remember to multiply or divide by 5/8 or to add or subtract 32.

dbrk
01-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow what it feels like to be warm...Just fyi, me and the missus are off to Montego Bay, Jamaica for a yoga retreat where I'll be teaching for the next five days. Okay, okay, so that's not work but we've not had anything like a holiday in a long time. No bikes, sadly, sadly. But I got work and I may get some wireless time, we'll see.

See'yas'later, pals,

dbrk

Sandy
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Have you ever seen that lady on the Animal Planet that teaches Yoga or stretching or something with dogs? You should teach a Yoga class with bicycles. :)

Yogurt Sandy

Sandy
01-24-2006, 10:59 PM
By the way, next time that you come to the DC area and teach Yoga in Takoma Park, please let me know. I would like to meet you. I'll bring the pretzels. You can make yourself into a pretzel.

All twisted in knots,

S Sandy

jeffg
01-25-2006, 05:18 AM
this is the hottest I have ever ridden in. 120 F with mucho climbing, but it was spectacular! Check out the link below for a humorous account of that day, with pics ...

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/RoadEngTT.htm

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/RoadEngTTRS4.htm

William
01-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Too Hot!!! (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=164487&postcount=15)

William ;)

sjbraun
01-25-2006, 07:33 AM
we know hot. I once rode on a summer afternoon. The ambient temp was 117. It was probably more like 140 at street level. With enough water, it was okay, but the water was hot, my feet were burning, in general it wasn't a very satisfying ride.
We start most of our summer rides at 0600. That way, we finish with temps in the low nineties, which is absolutely fine.
I've found I can ride effectively-meaning I can make an effort when I want to, to about 102, after that the law of diminishing returns sets in.

Steve- yeah, its a dry heat, but its still hot.

Catulle
01-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Here in the tropics, this is the dry season. Dry season means that it rains a little less often than during the rainy season, and the direction of the wind also changes from south to north. The north wind from the dry season is a significant p.i.t.a.

Although days are mostly bright and sunny and a little, just a little, less hot and humid than usual, the gusts of wind make up in difficulty for an otherwise pretty flat terrain. Maybe it wouldn´t be so bad if you rode against the wind all the time. But enjoying hauling butt with the wind on your back just to turn and face the tough wind makes you want to cry.

:crap:

bironi
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I would have melted into a puddle on some of those heated climbs. I am a real heat weanie. That ride has always attracted and repelled me. For my own health, I'm glad I never signed up.

Byron

wanderingwheel
01-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Byron and jeffg, that was the ride I was thinking of also when I read the OP. That was definitly too hot to ride, but I finished that day. At least there was no humidity.

jeffg
01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Byron and jeffg, that was the ride I was thinking of also when I read the OP. That was definitly too hot to ride, but I finished that day. At least there was no humidity.

I bet you finsihed ahead of me. Here I am all wrapped up just after the worst part of the heat after Skaggs but before the wall ...