PDA

View Full Version : favourite pro races?

Admiral Ackbar
01-04-2014, 11:30 AM
now that winter is in full swing with snow covered roads and single digit temps I've been help up inside with not much to do but watch old races!

I've always been particularly fond of the 1 day classics, Milan San Remo, Gent Wevelgem, Liege-Bastogene-Liege, Amstel Gold, Flèche Wallone, and of course -especially- Paris-Roubaix and Ronde van Vlaanderen. in fact these are nearly the only events i watch

i can't even begin to describe the enjoyment I've gotten out of watching squads like Mapei absolute dominate these events, 15 years on - knowing the outcome of many of the races I'm still here shouting at my computer screen as if I'm watching it live!

so hit me with your favourites; grand tours, stage races, 1 days, if theres a particular year you enjoy id love to know that as well.

much thanks, looking forward to what everyone has to say.

thwart
01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
The Ronde.

First, one day Spring Classics rule.

It's early in the season, so excitement level is higher... and anything is possible.

Plus, the countryside very much resembles the local environs here. :banana:

I'm hoping the new route is more like the one from a few yrs ago.

choke
01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Paris Roubaix is definitely my favorite. '92, '94 and '01 are good ones to watch. And of course A Sunday in Hell is a classic.

For the Giro, Stars and Watercarriers.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Flanders, Fleche, and Lombardy. These races pretty much encapsulate bike racing and its ties to the country in which the races are held.

gavingould
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
M-SR, RVV, P-R. looking to actually head to the Ronde this year

earlfoss
01-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I do enjoy watching The Tour of Flanders every year more than most of the others, however all of the spring classics are pretty dang great.

Rada
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Spring Classics hands down.

soupless
01-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Flanders, Fleche, and Lombardy. These races pretty much encapsulate bike racing and its ties to the country in which the races are held.

Lombardia is one of my favorites. I think the nickname "Race of the falling leaves" is gorgeous, and as a young man learning about the sport, hearing that there was a race in October in Italy just sounded soooooo exotic.

It's not the hardest, or the longest, and in this day and age not a ton of heavy hitters show up but to me, it's just great.

Also--I love seeing new faces emerge at the Giro and Vuelta, the Vuelta especially. The TdF is so big and so important it seems there's very little left to chance or heart or emotion.

fourflys
01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
another vote for the Ronde… not sure why I like it better then Roubaix, but I do...

FlashUNC
01-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Roubaix, San Remo and LBL.

All are ridiculous races for their own reasons and make for great viewing.

What they've done to Lombardy is a tragedy.

MattTuck
01-04-2014, 05:31 PM
I'll echo the obvious, one day races are great. Watching stages of grand tours is ok, but since a lot of stuff happens contextually (impact on the GC vs. a stage win), they can be exciting or very dull.

Mountain stages are fun to watch while on the trainer. Flat stages, not so much.