PDA

View Full Version : OT: Playa Del Carmen

echelon_john
01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Can anybody recommend a resort there? Looking for quiet, clean, pool, nice beach, good food. Nightlife not important.

I've been reading Tripadvisor, etc. but would love first-hand recommendations.

Thank you!
John

crownjewelwl
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
i stayed at the riviera maya down there a few years ago with my in-laws...it was part of some timeshare exchange they had

it was clean...iirc, there's no real beach access since it is rocky, but the pool was huge and nice

food and beverage were cheap...and there was a costco down the street and a full kitchen in the rooms

lhuerta
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
...venture out a bit and head south another 25 miles to Akumal, much more quiet, less crowded, nicer restaurants and cheaper....and avoid the all inclusive traps at all costs (i.e. Taco Bell buffets and cheap Cuervo crap). Las Casitas is best place to stay in Akumal. And you are closer to Tulum ruins and beaches as well.
Lou

djdj
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Grand Velas. All-inclusive, pricey, but really nice. Great food.

wc1934
01-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Went 2 times - both times we stayed at an all inclusive. I was apprehensive at first, but I must say it is the way to go if you want to relax. We did go into playa de carmen for lunch and one dinner, but the restaurants at the hotel were very, very good. The beaches are great (be sure to get up early and get a spot in the shade), location great - easy ride to the ruins etc.

The first time we stayed at Ibirostar Tucan - pretty good value for what you get.

2nd time stayed at Paraiso Maya - little more fancier than Tucan, but well worth the additional cost.

IMHO you will not regret either hotel. You will gain a few pounds - haha.

Buena suerte (kinda of the extent of my Spanish).

Chris
01-03-2014, 03:26 PM
We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso a few years ago very nice. Very clean. Nice beach.

djg21
01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
...venture out a bit and head south another 25 miles to Akumal, much more quiet, less crowded, nicer restaurants and cheaper....and avoid the all inclusive traps at all costs (i.e. Taco Bell buffets and cheap Cuervo crap). Las Casitas is best place to stay in Akumal. And you are closer to Tulum ruins and beaches as well.
Lou

I was at Secrets Capri in November for a vacation with my wife and my retired parents. None of us were impressed and neither my wife nor I would go back to any all-inclusive.

We're not much for sitting at a pool or bar drinking watered down liquor, even if it is included. While there was a lot of food, it wasn't great. And there wasn't much to do at the resort that excited us. It didn't help that the weather was lousy during much of our stay.

I'd second Akamal or Tulum. Rent a casita on the beach. Much nicer, quieter, and more to do. Akamal has nice beaches and good snorkeling (known for the sea turtles) and a nice good dive outfitter if you are inclined. If you do dive, the cenotes make for an interesting trip.

wc1934
01-03-2014, 04:33 PM
We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso a few years ago very nice. Very clean. Nice beach.

The Iberostar runs a real nice chain of all inclusives (you would not be disappointed in any of them). I was told by one of the hotel managers that they are a Spanish based company and the Mexicans would prefer you stay in a Mexican owned hotel.

crownjewelwl
01-03-2014, 04:37 PM
If you want to go baller rock the mayakoba

victoryfactory
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Wherever you stay, Xelha and Tulum national parks are a Must.
VF

HenryA
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Travel a bit farther south to Belize?
Have not been to either for years but I much preferred Belize to any part of Mexico.

Seramount
01-03-2014, 05:36 PM
spent a lot of time in the Yucatan. diving mostly...

but, forget PdC...head to Tulum. charming little place.

there's a pretty varied assortment of places to stay and eat. screw all-inclusives, the fun is finding little places that are cool...

go there soon before the international airport is built...it will cease to have any appeal after that happens.

and fwiw, I'd run, not walk, from anyplace that had a Costco nearby...that's what I'm trying to get away from when I go on vacation.

texbike
01-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I'd run, not walk, from anyplace that had a Costco nearby...

What's wrong with Costco? It's the future!

http://tadleckman.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/welcome-to-costco-i-love-you/

No suggestions on Playa unfortunately. The last time that we were there (about 4 years ago) it had really gone the way of Cancun -very touristy. Kinda crossed it off the list at that point. Good to hear the other suggestions.

Texbike

Ozz
01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
passed thru Playa del Carmen on way to Tulum ruins (on a cruise). Boat moved onto Cozumel and we met up with it there after ruins. I thought Cozumel looked like more fun. Nicer waterfront, lots of good looking resorts, shops, etc.

Lazer
01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Shangri la Caribe

Far enough north that you're away from the annoying stuff. Euro owned. Few Americans. Thatched Roof Cabanas. Free bikes to ride.

edit: name has changed.
http://www.mahekalbeachresort.com

morrisericd
01-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I second the "drive a bit farther". We've been staying in Tulum and Akumal for the last few years. It's easy and cheap to find places on VBRO - most places have very inexpensive cooks that can come well - cook - and clean for you. Until you see the beaches at Tulum you haven't seen beaches! Rent a car and explore the area - very safe and lots to do and see. All sorts of hidden Cenotes (fresh water lagoons) to see. We've done both the all-inclusive (relaxing but not really Mexico and crowded) and the rent a house and for us the house is way to go.