PDA

View Full Version : Art Stump's Work

zeroking17
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
OK, it's clear that not everyone is going to dig Art Stump's craftwork, but here are two shots (see http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/USA.htm for many more. Thanks to fiamme red for the original link.) that I think are worth lingering over for a few minutes.

I'm a sucker for builders who spend inordinate time and effort on bottom bracket shells, on that part of a frame that remains hidden from view until someone intentionally seeks it out. Look how much Art Stump invested in this. I appreciate it.

And that shift lever is the absolute coolest. It had an "industrial" aesthetic before industrial chic became de rigueur for kitchen appliances. The lever immediately draws my attention away from the lugs (which have more shoreline than the state of Maryland) and makes me want to perform a powershift from 3rd to 4th gear.

NAHBS
01-25-2006, 06:38 AM
While only a few might question my reason for inviting Art as the Guest Of Honor, it became clear to me from the very beginning of the concept of having a GoH.

Art was beginning a movement that had been yet attempted in the US.
He was already an accomplished machinist, and used his skills to make incredibly detailed detailed and ornate lugs. His contributions to framebuilding werent in quantity, but in quality. He was an innovator and should be respected as such.

Art is in his 90s and wheelchair bound. I figured he needed to be honored in some way and this seemed more than appropriate.

I hope you all can agree with me on this.

DW

twin
01-25-2006, 06:41 AM
on a bike and what would be a better place to have wonderful art than a bicycle.

Too Tall
01-25-2006, 06:49 AM
You'll go to heaven twice. If you were a tribe member I'd say it is a double mitzvah :) For cryin' out loud make sure you give him a few rasps and some emery cloth and a set of lugs to screw with while he listens to all your BORING speeches ;)

NAHBS
01-25-2006, 09:54 AM
You'll go to heaven twice. If you were a tribe member I'd say it is a double mitzvah :) For cryin' out loud make sure you give him a few rasps and some emery cloth and a set of lugs to screw with while he listens to all your BORING speeches ;)

I am the last guy on earth that would give a speech...I may give an introduction or two, but speech, never!

DW

Too Tall
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
;) That was a collective "your". :beers:

Looking at the lug outlines reminds me of a time I was roller racing at Larry Black's College Park shop. I was racing my Hetchins with SR Cranks....stopped for a break from the action and went to the lav. When I came back Uncle Larry had his Tester's paint out and was "coloring" my cranks. Like Stump he loved the outline :) Typical, he was soooo into it until his race came around than dropped everything and left the other crank 1/2 finished...as it remained! Funny as heck. The orig. ADD bike rider. WE LOVES yah Larry.

davids
01-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Honoring Art Stump is a great and thoughtful idea. :beer:

My personal esthetics run more to these:

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/Brunk%20seat%20cluster%20400.jpg http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes/cross/bike_c/lrg/5.jpg
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4224&stc=1

Too Tall
01-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Who's fillet brazed bike is that?

Smiley
01-26-2006, 06:42 AM
If I was to guess TT on who done the fillets I'd say Steve Rex or Land Shark !!

H.Frank Beshear
01-26-2006, 07:52 AM
That's a Kirk. It's on his website. I'm liking the look of fillet brazed more and more. Frank

Too Tall
01-26-2006, 09:10 AM
And a straight blade fork :) Nice work.

kurtkraft
06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I was a friend of Art's since the 70's. My uncle Bob McClelland was a lover of bicycles and had an investment casting foundry. While I worked for my uncle we cast his custom rear drop-outs from a mold Art made. I own two bicycles he built- one black chrome he built for my uncle and a frame he built for me set up as a five speed which I painted. Art was one of the most interesting people you could meet. He was a mechanical genius, he worked for years for a Mister Gilmore restoring vintage automobiles. In a past life he built a fuel injection system for a pre-war Mercedes race car from scratch with no plans.
He will be missed.

Kurt Gary

LotusF1
11-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Kirk,

I own Art Stump #3.

<http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/David-G-Whites-Bikes/Stump/>

I am trying to assemble photos and a listing of all the known Stump bikes. I'd be very appreciative if you would send me info and photos on yours.

Thanks,

David
whiteknight <at> burlingtontelecom <dot> net

Bob Loblaw
11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
That is a beautiful bike. I'd never heard of Art Stump, but his work is incredible.

Kirk,

I own Art Stump #3.

<http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/David-G-Whites-Bikes/Stump/>

I am trying to assemble photos and a listing of all the known Stump bikes. I'd be very appreciative if you would send me info and photos on yours.

Thanks,

David
whiteknight <at> burlingtontelecom <dot> net

bart998
11-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Interesting to see all the machinists touches on that Stump from 1973... Semi-vertical drop-outs and braze-on front derailleur? In 1973? Definitely ahead of his time.

jr59
11-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Wow, we don't see many Zombie threads here to often!

Vancouverdave
11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I was a friend of Art's since the 70's. My uncle Bob McClelland was a lover of bicycles and had an investment casting foundry. While I worked for my uncle we cast his custom rear drop-outs from a mold Art made. I own two bicycles he built- one black chrome he built for my uncle and a frame he built for me set up as a five speed which I painted. Art was one of the most interesting people you could meet. He was a mechanical genius, he worked for years for a Mister Gilmore restoring vintage automobiles. In a past life he built a fuel injection system for a pre-war Mercedes race car from scratch with no plans.
He will be missed.

Kurt Gary
Kurt, is Art no longer with us? I hadn't heard. I'm David Feldman, used to work at Wilshire West Bikes and ride with La Grange and Joe Kossack's club.

Vancouverdave
11-04-2011, 09:12 AM
A good Art Stump story, courtesy of Grant Handley, briefly: At the end of WWII, Art was serving in Europe. Some other GI's or English soldiers--I don't remember this detail--had somehow found a prewar Auto Union F-1 car. Nobody could figure out how to start the engine since the starter was not of a conventional kind. Another soldier knew Art and what his machining and mechanical skills were (among other gigs he was an Indy 500 team's mechanic) and he was able to reverse-engineer a way to start the Auto Union.