PDA

View Full Version : FS: Bottom Bracket Taps and Facer

J.Greene
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm selling a spare set of Cyclus taps and a Facer. The taps are English and well used but are very worthy of anything done in a home shop. The facer is less used and is still very sharp and includes guides for English and Italian Bottom Brakets. The cutters can be affordably sharpened and new cutters are available too. $225 shipped to you.

Gsinill
01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Why can't that be Italian :(

Was just checking eBay for a set...

J.Greene
01-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Sold, thank you!

thirdgenbird
01-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Sold, thank you!

Hopefully to a central Iowa bike shop. I had to find a frame builder after striking out at like 8 bike shops.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Hopefully to a central Iowa bike shop. I had to find a frame builder after striking out at like 8 bike shops.

Kinda don't get this, few hundred $, get a customer for the future, $ well spent, IMHO. Below average shops have no frame tool. Average have BSC, good ones also have Italian, really good ones also have French, exceptional ones also have Swiss.

AngryScientist
01-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Kinda don't get this, few hundred $, get a customer for the future, $ well spent, IMHO.

the tool is the easy part, trusting your mechanic not to screw up a customers frame is the hard part.

thirdgenbird
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I think angryscientist may be right.

One shop told me they no longer do it because it isn't needs anymore. I would argue that it is more vital with external bottom brackets than it ever has. Anyway, they told me one of their more experienced mechanics owned the tool personally and would do it from home. The cost? $200. Forget that noise.

ColonelJLloyd
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
average have bsc, old ones also have italian, really old ones also have french, no one has swiss.

fify

oliver1850
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Well, not that far from central IA. :banana:

Last time I needed Italian threads chased, I called 8 bike shops with no luck. Even the shop in Champaign (130 miles away) that's been in business for decades and used to sell steel Pinarellos said no.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2014, 11:19 AM
fify

Tee hee, had French, BSC, far superior Italian, of course. Didn't have Swiss. I have on occasion, 'chased' Swiss to BSC.

Gsinill
01-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Alberto's in Highland Park.
They will do my De Rosa (if I don't break down and buy my own set).
Not necessarily close for you though...

Last time I needed Italian threads chased, I called 8 bike shops with no luck. Even the shop in Champaign (130 miles away) that's been in business for decades and used to sell steel Pinarellos said no.

oliver1850
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I will just get the Italian taps as well.

thirdgenbird
01-02-2014, 12:03 PM

That's pretty sad. I wasn't even asking about an Italian frame. I needed a bsd frame faced.