PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich complete

velotel
01-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Odd weather happening recently. Evening on the last day of 013 was comfortably cold with the beautiful low-angle light of mid-winter. Had an excellent ride on the plateau, watching Mont Blanc and the Alps washed in shades of pink. Later drove down into the valley for dinner and champagne with the mother-in-law. Drove back, started raining during the climb, went through the tunnel and exited into snow falling thick. Did the end-of-the-day-before-going-to-bed dog walk in the snow thinking completing my end-of-the-year-start-of-the-year sandwich in the morning could be less than perfectly pleasant.

Woke up at 4 in the morning to pee, no snow, sky mostly clear. Still clear at 6:15. Looks like I’m good for completing my sandwich. Decide to do a ride up around Chambéry since I have a bottle of wine to give to an old guy there from whom I bought 40 cubic meters of split and dried firewood for a wonderful price. Nice guy. Told me he’d keep what I couldn’t haul off last autumn and I could collect it this spring. Beautiful, dry wood nicely protected from the weather just awaiting my return. Always thought of him as an old guy until I realize he’s around about my age, maybe younger. Damn! He was a furniture maker, has a fine workshop at his house but now he’s retired. Got tired of the work required with wood heat, switched to a pellet stove, thus put a few years worth of firewood up for sale. I bought it all soon as I saw it.

Stopped by his house to give him the bottle. A woman I didn’t know walked down. A friend of the family. Told me the old guy up and died 15 days ago. Just like that, plam! He’s gone. Damn, life can change in a hurry. All the more reason to grab and enjoy ever y ride I can while I can. His house is near the road to Granier. Riding that struck me as a fine call to start off 014. I liked the idea of cruising on its low single-digit grades for a lighter taste of climbing. That was the idea until perversity raised its gnarly old head and before I knew it, I’d turned left onto a narrow road out of Chambéry that climbs in a hurry. I’d driven it a couple of times already, in second gear in my truck with a diesel and relatively low gearing.

Turned out to be as steep as I remembered it being. Climbed 171 vertical meters in 1,7 K, which unless my math has gotten lazy comes out to just about 10% average. Which means that given the easier sections at the bottom and in the middle, there were some long pieces in the teens and I know that just before the top there’s a nice little gift up around 20%. So much for the mellow ride idea. After that it was downhill to join the normal road to Granier. No cyclists at all and not many cars. Big views back over Chambéry with Lake Bourget and the Bauges mountains in the background. Chambéry was only a few klicks away but around me was just farms and fields with scattered suburban homes mixed in. Some pretty nice looking homes I should add, wood, rock, glass, the perfect combo in my opinion.

I’m on my bike, the first of January, riding in tights, two lightweight layers on top with the sleeves rolled up, no gloves, no hat. Also no winter overboots on the shoes. Amazing. But cold in the shade. The road climbs up through a shallow valley until it curls left under high cliffs where the sun hardly touches the ground during the middle of the winter. Saw quite a few spots of ice and snow on the road. Broke out of the shadow zone into the sun and the road was instantly dry.

Long traverse across the mountain into a switchback to the right and another long traverse. Broke free of the trees for some nice views overlooking the valley and the lake in the distance. Hit the section of road that’s carved out of a cliff. Sun still hadn’t hit there yet and the going down side of the road was covered with a nice layer of snow and ice. But the outside line was clear so kept forging on. I wasn’t heading for the col, just to where there’s a tunnel that cuts through the ridge to the other side of the mountain. Decided since it was the first day of the year, I’d turn around there, drop back down to the car, head home to spend the afternoon with the wife.

Didn’t make it to the tunnel. But almost. Road covered with snow and ice and from the sounds coming out of the tunnel when a car went through I suspected there was ice in the tunnel too. Okay, no problem, shoot some pics, add a medium weight Smartwool long-sleeved shirt and a Sugoi wool jersey, and gloves. Still no hat, no windbreaker. Head down. Tip toe through the ice and snow then let the bike roll free. But watching the road surface like the proverbial hawk. Into the long shadow section and slow down. On the way up I’d seen a road heading off with the name of some village I recognized. Had a suspicion that could be a nice option for getting back to the car.

Nice isn’t the word; the road was insanely awesome, simple as that. One laner despite the highway department having rather optimistically painted small lines down the middle. I’m talking so narrow that if I’d met a car, both of us would have had to inch past one another. And get this, the road surface was buff! Not all the time but a significant percentage was.

Kicked in with a long traverse across a broad basin, a slight downhill, just enough that I was on my 50/12 and spinning easy. Hit a short roller coaster section where the road rolled up and over a small ridge. Stayed on the big ring, moved up a couple of cogs, flew over the top and headed down again. Road as narrow as ever. Dropped into a long, broad valley with the road working itself down the slopes via series of round, switchbacks. A completely crazy good road and I had no idea it was there before I spotted the sign back on the road to Granier. And then to really top it all off, I get to an intersection and a stop sign. No indication for direction. Look to the right, look ahead; ahead looks like maybe the call to make so I do. Half a K further on I hit the road I’d been on back at the beginning and in another half K I’m back at the car. Perfect. Sandwich completed with a ride that turned out to be a small gem. Would have been nice to go all the way to the col but even without that I still bagged around 750 – 800 vertical meters of up. Nice start to the year.

Some pics. Happy new year to all

572cv
01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I've been following your posts for a while now, but continue to be surprised by the conditions in your 'hood' in the winter. The photos are really stunning, especially for those of us who had a day with a high of about 10°F, lingering ice everywhere from the latest ice storms, in other words, what could be called not quite unrideable winter conditions. Not even really good skiing.

It looked like your route ran close to Apremont. One of our favorite Savoie wines comes from there, this delicate, ever so slightly effervescent flavorful white.

And all of this appears to be on the northerly easterly side of your home massif... the Chartreuse- do I have that right? All in all, these excursions of yours are a series of joyful insights and vignettes, clearly on the side of both the author and the reader. Have a great 2014! Bons promenades en velo!

merckx
01-01-2014, 08:49 PM
You are a gift.

roydyates
01-01-2014, 10:27 PM
You lead a charmed life ... but where is the snow ? Don't you live in the Alps, somewhere between Alpe d'Huez and Galibier? That's ski country. Are you riding in a different area or is it a bad year for snow?

choke
01-01-2014, 11:09 PM
How is it that every post of yours has such perfect cycling roads? Thanks for sharing...and Happy New Year. You definitely started it right.

velotel
01-02-2014, 02:13 AM
I've been following your posts for a while now, but continue to be surprised by the conditions in your 'hood' in the winter. The photos are really stunning, especially for those of us who had a day with a high of about 10°F, lingering ice everywhere from the latest ice storms, in other words, what could be called not quite unrideable winter conditions. Not even really good skiing.

It looked like your route ran close to Apremont. One of our favorite Savoie wines comes from there, this delicate, ever so slightly effervescent flavorful white.

And all of this appears to be on the northerly easterly side of your home massif... the Chartreuse- do I have that right? All in all, these excursions of yours are a series of joyful insights and vignettes, clearly on the side of both the author and the reader. Have a great 2014! Bons promenades en velo!
Yea, mostly correct. I drove through Apremont (if you didn't know already, roughly translated as after the mountain, but you probably knew that) on the way from my house to Cham. The steep little beast of a road climbs up pas les Charmettes. The road to Granier I was on is the one that departs from Cham. That sweet road I took across the mountain and then down is the last road to the left during the climb, just before the long bend to the left followed by the switchback to the right and the final traverse to the tunnel. As I recall it's called Route de Barberaz or something like that.

Have you tried the Chignin white? That's a nice drink too.

And thanks for the complements. Maybe we'll be able to hook up for a ride next time you're over.

You lead a charmed life ... but where is the snow ? Don't you live in the Alps, somewhere between Alpe d'Huez and Galibier? That's ski country. Are you riding in a different area or is it a bad year for snow?
No, not there, above Grenoble, sort of, on the edge of the Chartreuse mountains. The high Alps are getting lots of snow but so far the lower elevations are bare.

vqdriver
01-02-2014, 02:36 AM
I really enjoy these ride reports. Love the photos but the mental visuals from your descriptions are vivid.

soulspinner
01-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Fantastic . Happy new year Hank.......

572cv
01-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Yea, mostly correct. I drove through Apremont (if you didn't know already, roughly translated as after the mountain, but you probably knew that) on the way from my house to Cham. The steep little beast of a road climbs up pas les Charmettes. The road to Granier I was on is the one that departs from Cham. That sweet road I took across the mountain and then down is the last road to the left during the climb, just before the long bend to the left followed by the switchback to the right and the final traverse to the tunnel. As I recall it's called Route de Barberaz or something like that.

Have you tried the Chignin white? That's a nice drink too.

And thanks for the complements. Maybe we'll be able to hook up for a ride next time you're over.

No, not there, above Grenoble, sort of, on the edge of the Chartreuse mountains. The high Alps are getting lots of snow but so far the lower elevations are bare.

Thanks for the route clarifications. I get a lot of good practice by trying to parse them out, which I usually do on ViaMichelin, because they name all the cols, cite altitude. And make note of all the scenic routes. I also love the graphic style.

Laura and I had Chignin often in Annecy. Very nice indeed. I see it seldom here.

I hope on our next trip your way that we could indeed ride together. We've slowed down a good it, but still love the climbs best of all.

Louis
01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Hank, over a typical summer about what % of your rides require you to drive to the start, vs just riding from home?

velotel
01-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Hank, over a typical summer about what % of your rides require you to drive to the start, vs just riding from home?
My short rides at the end of the day after working on the house are probably 80% from the house. But sometimes I just need a change and drive down to the valley to do a ride up the mountains on the other side of the valley. More significant rides are close to if not 100% driving to the start. There's this small handicap I have with where I live, getting back to the house from the valley involves around 750 vertical meters of climbing (almost 2500 ft) with grades around 8% to 10%. Too rough for me after a good climb somewhere else. But sometimes I treat the valley as my sort of skateboard bowl, but only when feeling very strong. As in descend from my home, cross the valley, up the other side, back down, cross the valley, back up to my home.

Thus for quickies, from the house almost all the time, bigger rides drive first almost all the time.