PDA

View Full Version : Computer mount on stem???? Zip ties???

Dave B
01-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I want to mount my bike computer on my stem, but was curious how? Is there specific computers that work and some that don't?

I hear use zip ties a lot, but again does this just go over the face?

Any help would be appreciated. Any bike computer models that do well with this is also very helpful?

Thanks

The Prez

Serotta PETE
01-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Spokes just put a Cateye Micro Wireless on my bike. Used the mount that came with it, as well as zip ties that came with it. Looks good, is secure and works well.

The mount is rubber and the plastic holder that the Computer slides into rest on the rubber semi doughnut mount.

PETE

quattro
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I mounted my Shimano flight deck to my FSA K-Wing bars using zip ties, they work great, secure, light, forget the $$$ carbon fiber after market mounting devices, ZIP TIES RULE!

davids
01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.sugarstation.com/images/complete/bazookajoe.gif

OK, seriously...

I've used a couple different Cateyes, and found the CD-300DW to have a much nicer mounting bracket than the others. It allows the mount to swivel around the bar, so that it can be mounted above it, forward of it, or behind it. The standard mount for the Mity, on the other hand, puts the Computer right over the bar. For comparision, my Axiom has the (complex, battery-eating) CD-300DW. My Nove has a (simple) Mity:

BumbleBeeDave
01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
. . . Sigma makes a computer that has a stem mount. I'm not sure if the mount itself is available separately, but might be worth it to look. I'd also suggest wandering around the nearest comprehensive hardware store. I've usually had good luck doing that and finding something that I could re-purpose into something like a stem mount. Almost anything made of plastic that has the right curve could be re-shaped with a Dremel tool into something you could use as a mount.

BBD

davids
01-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Further information: Cateye sells alternative mount kits, including a "Heavy Duty wire and bracket" kit, and "Center Mount bracket" kit, and a "Stem Mount bracket" kit. At least for the Mity...

Who knew?!?

ols
01-24-2006, 02:35 PM
I have one of their wireless models which works pretty well. The speed only reads in increments of 0.5 if that matters to you though..

Ahneida Ride
01-24-2006, 04:37 PM
. . . Sigma makes a computer that has a stem mount. I'm not sure if the mount itself is available separately, but might be worth it to look. I'd also suggest wandering around the nearest comprehensive hardware store. I've usually had good luck doing that and finding something that I could re-purpose into something like a stem mount. Almost anything made of plastic that has the right curve could be re-shaped with a Dremel tool into something you could use as a mount.

BBD

I have this model. It works great !
It is the Sigma Sport Targa.

Fixed
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
bro here is what you do lay it on your stem then ride off fast . turn around and ride over it a couple of times to make sure then your good to go .i.m.h.o. .just let go bro cheers :beer: oh yeah don't get mad remember i.m.h.o. :crap:

weiwentg
01-24-2006, 05:57 PM

BBD

all the Sigmas are stem-mountable out of the box. the part that mounts the computer is attached to the part that mounts to the stem. you just unscrew 4 very small screws and rotate the first part. Sigmas are not particularly expensive and well made, also.

Dr. Doofus
01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
epoxy

what?

you fear committment?

Dave
01-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Black or clear silicon can be used to attach a computer to the bars or stem. If the mount is intended only for the bars, you may have to cut, sand or file off the curved underside of the mount to allow it to mate with the stem.

Silicon holds fairly well and it's not permanent. If you're rough on your bike, it's not too hard to break the bond, so it;s not for everybody.

I also use silcon to mount wired speed sensors to the fork. No ugly zip ties or clamps on my fork.

Adam
01-25-2006, 08:02 AM
The Mavic Wintech is designed specifically to mount on the stem. The sensor for the wheel magnet is integrated into the skewer as well for an xtra clean look. EZ to use and set up.

Adam