PDA

View Full Version : Folding bike as a commuter

Veloo
12-31-2013, 08:01 AM
I have considered getting a folding bike for a while and wondering if I should get rid of my current commuter (MTB with 26" wheels) if and when I do.

Pros I see to the folding:
- space savings for a small house
- "pack-ability" for travel or throwing into a trunk

Cons (questions) I am guessing I may have as a commuter doing anything from 1 km to 30 km
- will the smaller wheels drive me nuts?
- where will I secure my Kryptonite NY lock?
- will it be high enough to hang my bike rack bags off of?

bargainguy
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Let's answer your cons first:

1. Probably not. Steering can be a little more twitchy but one adapts quickly.

2. Don't even think of locking a folder. They're meant to be taken along with you. Locking a folder is a magnet for theft.

3. You can hang racks which will allow panniers, but heel clearance is an issue on folders as well as rack height. Better folders have nice rack options, cheap folders often have no rack option.

weaponsgrade
12-31-2013, 03:20 PM
I rode a dahon, bike Friday tikit, before settling on the brompton. The bike Friday felt closest to a regular bike. The dahon seemed like the best deal in terms of parts spec. But brompton had the smallest fold. For me, that was the most important.

weisan
12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I rode a dahon, bike Friday tikit, before settling on the brompton. The bike Friday felt closest to a regular bike. The dahon seemed like the best deal in terms of parts spec. But brompton had the smallest fold. For me, that was the most important.

Succint. Spot on.

Ken Robb
12-31-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a bikefriday New World Tourist that would be a fine commuter. BF sells lots of racks and luggage for their bikes. OTOH, the tall seat post and the small wheels means there is PLENTY of room for the biggest saddle bag you need to hang from your B-17 saddle so I can carry a bunch of stuff in my Rivendell Hoss Bag with no need for racks. Many bf bikes come with a trailer hitch so you can tow the big Samsonite suitcase that the bike fits into as a roomy trailer.

bf staff folks are very helpful explaining how their stuff can work.

pzung
02-26-2015, 07:12 PM
My daily commute is about 32 miles round trip and I am trying out a foldable bike for a change. We are not allowed to take bikes into the building at work but they provide us a bike cage where we can keep the bikes locked up safely. I have added the Topeak MX to carry my lunch, clothes, and computer. The side pockets unfold out and has enough room for a laptop + notebooks. The picture should be self explanatory.

Pro: Easy to ride, small and space saving.
Con: Smaller cockpit, not as comfortable for long commute as the 700c bikes.