PDA

View Full Version : Smiley Had the right idea

Serotta PETE
01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Smiley had the right idea - going to Egypt (warm) for vacation. I leave tomorrow for Keystone Colorado for 10 days skiing. COLD!! and hopefully snow. Me and 49 others will be taking over a group of condos. Have to remember to bring wine!!

It will be quite a change from Raleigh, which is 50 today. (Just finished a nice sunny ride.)

ANy suggestions of where to eat, what to see, and slopes that are better than others will be appreciated.

If nothing breaks, I will be back on the 6th of FEB.

Jeff Weir
01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Hopefully we will have the stem length and seatpost setback problems solved by then!

Serotta PETE
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Hopefully. :) :)

KevinK
01-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Smiley had the right idea - going to Egypt (warm) for vacation. I leave tomorrow for Keystone Colorado for 10 days skiing. COLD!! and hopefully snow. Me and 49 others will be taking over a group of condos. Have to remember to bring wine!!

It will be quite a change from Raleigh, which is 50 today. (Just finished a nice sunny ride.)

ANy suggestions of where to eat, what to see, and slopes that are better than others will be appreciated.

If nothing breaks, I will be back on the 6th of FEB.

I'm going with friends at the end of Feburary for a week. We are staying in Silverthorne, just a short drive from Breckenridge. I like Breck, Vail, and Beaver Creek. Unless you just have to ride the highest chairlift in North America, I would leave A-Basin for the locals. The chairs are very slow (no hi-speed quads) and the lodge is "rustic". We hit A-Basin 2 years ago in a winter with little snow and we skiied on ice until we decided to save the rest of the day and headed back to Breck. Vail is a monster ski area, and the back side bowls are great. Have fun and be safe, you should have alot of snow!

Kevin

Serotta PETE
01-24-2006, 01:50 PM
KevinK,,,,THANKS Pete

Smiley
01-24-2006, 01:55 PM
mid 60's F during the day and low 50's F during the evenings in Cairo. Skiing is way tooo cold for this arab .

mwos
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Pete,

If I weren't sitting here with a torn MCL/ACL I'd come up and join you for a day.

Here's the way we ski Keystone. We start the day skiing the front of the mountain. Runs like Frenchman, Irishman, etc are good intermediate cruisers and good for warming up. Schoolmarm and Spring Dipper are good green cruisers. When the Montazuma lift starts getting crowded we head to the back. North Peak has a couple of good intermediate groomers (Last Alamo, Starfire, Prospector) but most runs are left to "bump up". Depending on the time, we ususally get a couple of runs in there. My favorite there is CAT DANCER, a long bump run.

For lunch we go to the Outpost Restaurant. My memory of the food is that it is pretty good, (we pack our own).

After lunch, we ski the Outback, which has really good tree skiing. I hate Elk run, by the chair, it gets skied off early. When you go up the chair to the left are Badger and Timberwolf, fun trees and bumps. If you ski them get a little speed up at the bottom or you will pole back. To the right of the chair is Wildfire. It's a fun tree area, but watch out, the area is pretty open but if you get off the run it gets pretty tight with trees. A little farther down Elk Run there is Porcupine which is a groomer. You have to know where to look for these runs as it is easy to miss them. The Outback is not an area for beginners. If you want off piste skiing you have to ask someone else.

If you are at River Run and the Gondola backs up there is a quad chair right next to it, take it, you end up in the same place and it doesn't get as crowded.

For restaurants and food I can't help you since I am usually in Silverthorne or come home. There is a restaurant in Dillion that is good, Pug Ryan's.

If you're flying into DIA a good place to get wine is Applejacks. It's a huge liquor store with good prices right off I-70 in Wheatridge. When the Cincinnati Ski Club comes out they schedule a stop there.

From what I understand taxes are pretty high in Keystone so it's not the best place to buy clothing or equipment.

If I can help in any other way let me know.

Kathi

mwos
01-24-2006, 02:11 PM
More snow is predicted for the end of the week so be sure to have goggles and warm clothes.

Copper is my favorite area. If it's cold and windy avoid Breck and A-Basin.

Also, watch out for closed ropes, they are like bungy cords and you could end up like me!

Bud
01-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Unless you just have to ride the highest chairlift in North America, I would leave A-Basin for the locals.

Kevin

Breck now has the highest chair in North America- the new Peak 8 imperial express goes to almost 13,000 (Lenawee at A Basin tops out at 12,500).

I love Breck but prefer A Basin. The terrain is great and it's cool to ski that much above the timber. Granted, it can be a bit icy when it's windy, but it's still my favorite. That said, I had a great time at Breck last weekend (after they got almost two feet). The trees were nice, deep and untracked in places despite the people.

We'll be at Breck again on Saturday- should be nice. Anyone else planning on being there? Pete- you should check it out too. Keystone is cool, but there is a lot of great skiing close by.

djg
01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm going with friends at the end of Feburary for a week. We are staying in Silverthorne, just a short drive from Breckenridge. I like Breck, Vail, and Beaver Creek. Unless you just have to ride the highest chairlift in North America, I would leave A-Basin for the locals. The chairs are very slow (no hi-speed quads) and the lodge is "rustic". We hit A-Basin 2 years ago in a winter with little snow and we skiied on ice until we decided to save the rest of the day and headed back to Breck. Vail is a monster ski area, and the back side bowls are great. Have fun and be safe, you should have alot of snow!

Kevin

I've mostly been skiing Utah in recent years, but I've got fond memories of A-basin--it's true that the amenities are limited, but that's not really a big deal for folks staying just down the road at Keystone. The basin has some really good terrain. Copper has some good runs and Vail has about everything--on a powder day, the bowls are great.

Serotta PETE
01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the info on Colorado.

PETE