PDA

View Full Version : Damage to Rear Stay - Oltre XR

Splash
12-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Well, another suprise and another shock...

this time i see one of the rear stays has been chipped or maybe somethign worse.

this bike has sat in a spare bedroom for a few months while i build up time to build this bike.

i don't know how this chip occurred - but pretty upset.

looks like someone has stood on it or something...

let me know your thoughts - is it serious or just paint work?

splash

Bruce K
12-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Looks like it's time to contact Ruckus Composites

That looks ugly

BK

Splash
12-30-2013, 06:37 AM
so close and yet so far...

my dream over riding a class bike is over.

really angry now that someone in my family or the people coming in to install the a/c in that bedroom recently has damaged it.

the $5,000 frame is probably a throw away item now.

thanks for you all of your help people.

splash

Joachim
12-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Not really. It will be a few hundred $ repair. Contact Ruckus like suggested.

Bruce K
12-30-2013, 07:37 AM
If you search the forum you should find pictures of repairs to similar damage to my Cannondale Super-X done by Ruckus

$375 including repaint of the area

It is virtually impossible to tell where the repair was made and the bike rides as nice as ever

Contact them - the frame is not lost

BK

thegunner
12-30-2013, 10:34 AM
alternatively, calfee - surprised no one mentioned them yet...

Bruce K
12-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Calfee is good but VERY pricey vs. Ruckus and paint is extra.

BK

Splash
12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
i live in australia, so sending frame anywhere overseas is off limits.

thanks anyway.

splash.

thegunner
12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
i live in australia, so sending frame anywhere overseas is off limits.

thanks anyway.

splash.

man you give up so easily: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/bikes-and-tech/carbon-repair-options-for-repairing-carbon-bike-frames_196178/6 :p

Splash
12-30-2013, 02:07 PM
thanks mate,

splash

Bruce K
12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Well, THAT would have been good to know! ;)

But, even with that situation, help is at hand.

Good luck with the repairs.

BK

enr1co
12-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Good luck with the repair- should be a fairly basic repair for a quality carbon repair shop and the local one mentioned in Velo Snooze sounds good on paper.

You'll need to strip down your bike again but good practice w/ rebuilding, re-taping etc :)

chengher87
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Definitely repair that frame, it'll be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Although if I were you, I'd waterboard the entire family to find out who damaged the frame and then make them pay for the repairs (and if you find out before water-boarding that person, make that an extra long water-boarding session:bike:)

Splash
12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
thanks guys.

it really has been a harrowing few days for me - but enlightening and an education - thanks to you guys!

i have learnt alot and i tried to keep my carbon parts free from destruction but i guess i need to try harder and lock stuff away when not in use.

the only problem is that carbon repairer is around 4000kms from where i live and is probably the only repairer in the country that i would trust.

may have to send the wife down and wrap the frame in cotton wool / bubble wrap so the airplane people don't break it further..

as for the waterboarding - yes - great idea. grrrrrrrrr ! :mad:

anyone know of solid robust bike frame carriers for plane luggage?

splash

thegunner
12-30-2013, 04:01 PM
thanks guys.

it really has been a harrowing few days for me - but enlightening and an education - thanks to you guys!

i have learnt alot and i tried to keep my carbon parts free from destruction but i guess i need to try harder and lock stuff away when not in use.

the only problem is that carbon repairer is around 4000kms from where i live and is probably the only repairer in the country that i would trust.

may have to send the wife down and wrap the frame in cotton wool / bubble wrap so the airplane people don't break it further..

as for the waterboarding - yes - great idea. grrrrrrrrr ! :mad:

anyone know of solid robust bike frame carriers for plane luggage?

splash

i think you're overanalyzing this! just get the frame to a good shop and have them pack it and insure it for the cost of the frame minus the cost of repair. yes, the crack is bad, but frames like this aren't that delicate. a good packing job + send it off and let the carbon repair place take care of it. :banana:

Splash
12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
will do.

pity everything is closed until 20/01/14 as far as bike repairs are concerned in Oz.

i wanted to buy a robust case anyway so if any of you use such hard carry cases for plane travel - let me know of your recommendations..

splash

Bruce K
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
I've had good luck with my BikePro - semi hard case

The Thule case looks good but pricey

I'm sure other folks have ideas/suggestions

BK