PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shimano Mountain Pedals

eolson124
12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Four months ago, I purchased two pair of Shimano PD-M780 XT Race Pedals for two road bikes. This week the drive side pedal on each bike broke, with the pedal body detaching from the spindle.

I'm 220 lbs and push the pedals pretty hard. I've broken pedals in the past, but only after several seasons.

I welcome insight regarding (i) similar experiences, (ii) strength of XT vs XTR pedals, (iii) what is the strongest spindle material, (iv) whether a heavier pedal might hold up better, and (v) the strongest pedal models (road or mountain).

Thanks. EWO

sales guy
12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
So did the spindle break? Or just come loose completely from the body?

Both are common in general on pedals, especially on crank bros pedals. Shimano, not so much.

If the spindle just came loose, put them back together with a new nylon nut and you're good to go. If they broke completely, send them back. They have a year warranty on them. But clean them up really good and polish them up with armor all. It'll make it better for warranty purposes.

Oh, and I run the XTR versions and am 225/235 and 6'3. Never had one break or come loose.

guyintense
12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Try to find the old Shimano 747 mountain pedal. I'm over 200 pounds and have been riding that pedal on my mountain bikes since they came out around twenty years ago, never had an issue. A breeze to maintain too.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Four months ago, I purchased two pair of Shimano PD-M780 XT Race Pedals for two road bikes. This week the drive side pedal on each bike broke, with the pedal body detaching from the spindle.

I'm 220 lbs and push the pedals pretty hard. I've broken pedals in the past, but only after several seasons.

I welcome insight regarding (i) similar experiences, (ii) strength of XT vs XTR pedals, (iii) what is the strongest spindle material, (iv) whether a heavier pedal might hold up better, and (v) the strongest pedal models (road or mountain).

Thanks. EWO

Common on these models and when in the shop I warrantied 2 pair..go to a LBS, have them call and you will et new ones, I'll bet, even w/o sending the old ones in...