PDA

View Full Version : annoying shifter rattle

nbl78s
12-29-2013, 04:57 PM
I have some ultegra 6501 brifters I want to mount on my cross bike but the end caps rattle and it drives me crazy. This has got to be common. I have hesitated prying the caps off becauses it seems like they'll crack. Does anyone have a good fix for this?
thanks

Admiral Ackbar
12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
also curious about this, i have old 105 9sp shifters on a bike and the endcaps rattle like crazy, tired to take them off but i was worried id break the levers prying them off

Black Dog
12-29-2013, 07:34 PM
There should be a small screw that holds the caps on. Squeeze the brake lever and look at the top part of the cap that is exposed.

rustychisel
12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
There should be a small screw that holds the caps on. Squeeze the brake lever and look at the top part of the cap that is exposed.

& when you've done that ascertain whether the rattle is loose caps or whether they rattle against the shifter body (more likely). Put a dab of silicone sealant on top of the caps to solve...

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 08:16 AM
I have some ultegra 6501 brifters I want to mount on my cross bike but the end caps rattle and it drives me crazy. This has got to be common. I have hesitated prying the caps off becauses it seems like they'll crack. Does anyone have a good fix for this?
thanks

Common on 6500 levers. Take 'em off, and then use some J/B weld and glue them on or remove them altogether. Just pop on, with a plate underneath that screws onto the lever..the pop on part is what's loose. The screw on ones didn't come to pass until 6510..the chrome ones. The grey 6500 didn't screw on.

nbl78s
12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I couldn't find a screw anywhere and it seemed like they just snapped on. Prying on them made me nervous about cracking the caps though. found a video on you tube that shows how to pop off the caps. Just searched youtube with "shimano 6501" and there it was. My tablet wouldn't let me post the link here though :( after I popped them off I put a tiny piece of rubber foam stripping I had laying around, popped the cap back on and its perfect.