PDA

View Full Version : Can electronic shifting be an "EPIC" help to folks with hand problems?

paulh
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Regardless of Shimano vs. Campagnolo and whether it's worth the money or not, or ugly or whatever. I've seen it in shops, but have not used it. Right now I use mechanical Campagnolo. But, I've broken my right wrist in the past and on long rides, > 80 miles, my left hand loses strength. So, some hand pain in general.. maybe some slight arthritis. If I get electronic shifting will all my problems vanish with the newfound ease of shifting? Comments?

fatallightning
12-29-2013, 12:28 PM
We set up a bike for someone with a significantly shorter right arm. All the shifting was done from the left side. Bar top shifter for the FD, drop shifter programmed to shift the rear. Works perfect.

Threshold
12-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes, electric allows for more adjustment for reach than mechanical. In addition, the new electric ergonomics are killer for small hands. The other issue is your fit...you have to be careful of carbon bars because I have seen some with screwed up molds resulting in one side being 1cm further forward, so it screws up your position and weight distribution. The other issue is to make sure your reach/height of levers is exactly the same and that your front end is straight so you are not putting more weight on one side. You also maybe positioned fore/aft incorrectly putting too much weight on your hands.

christian
12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah for sure. Women and kids with small hands and people with limited hand strength will definitely benefit from electronic. My kids' road bikes will definitely have 105 electronic when the time comes.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2013, 01:02 PM
It will help many, but could hurt some.

I don't have full dexterity of the fingers in my right hand and distinguishing the buttons on di2 is a challenge. I'm sure I could use a satellite shifter, but being restricted to only using the satellite shifter is less ergonomic than just using mechanical levers.

fuzzalow
12-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Campy only for me and I don't have any EPS yet.

But I think about how good EPS would be after everyride where my hands are frozen stiff with limited movement from riding 90 minutes all the way home into a 20mph headwind with 20F ambient in January.

Electronic shifting, oh hell yeah, how is it not an improvement?

oldpotatoe
12-29-2013, 01:39 PM
it will help many, but could hurt some.

I don't have full dexterity of the fingers in my right hand and distinguishing the buttons on di2 is a challenge. I'm sure i could use a satellite shifter, but being restricted to only using the satellite shifter is less ergonomic than just using mechanical levers.

eps....

jbrainin
12-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Electronic groups are a godsend for riders with arthritic fingers.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
eps....

Correct. The only problem EPS has (for me) is the price point and reliability of Record 10.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Correct. The only problem EPS has (for me) is the price point and reliability of Record 10.

Athena EPS

thirdgenbird
12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Athena EPS

Haha, still more than the two groups I already own. If one of them dies, Athena eps may be an option.

rrudoff
12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
My wife has problems with both wrists as well as small hands, standard 105 was tough for her, especially front shifting. The swing of the lever for an upshift was just too far. Upgraded her to Ultegra Di2, keeping 105 cranks and brakes. She has had about 2 years, zero problems and a huge motivator for her to not have pain. Also we travel with bike a lot, and the Di2 makes things a bit quicker.

bewheels
12-29-2013, 05:10 PM
+1 yes electronic shifting absolutely helps with hand issues (I am in that camp).
But not all hand issues are the same. I would recommend testing/demoing a bike with the group of your choice. It is a fair amount of coin to be throwing down without knowing it will help you.

jpw
12-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Athena EPS

have you started using it yet?

tigoat
12-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Not sure if it will help your wife's hand problems but imagine pushing your computer mouse buttons, as Di2 buttons feel very similar.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
have you started using it yet?

Not yet, with Xmas and all, haven't yet built the workshop..parts and stuff just crammed in the back of the garage..first project tho..trying to start to move stuff around end of this week.

nooneline
12-30-2013, 09:07 AM
It will help many, but could hurt some.

I don't have full dexterity of the fingers in my right hand and distinguishing the buttons on di2 is a challenge. I'm sure I could use a satellite shifter, but being restricted to only using the satellite shifter is less ergonomic than just using mechanical levers.

This is one approach some pros use - superglue and sand:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/01/11/1326276584957-1lpoffzn2n2ve-500-70.jpg