PDA

View Full Version : The one(s) that got away....

chengher87
12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I had my eye on two Bianchis; an Impulso and an Infinito, ebay and craigslist (respectively). They had both been sitting for a LONG time (sellers kept re-listing and in the case of craigslist, bumping it to the top of the queue every week or so). Both at ridiculous steal (not actually stolen I would hope) prices because the sellers kept lowering the price every month. I don't check over Christmas (two days!) and both are gone, just like that. And I had been saving the entire year for a big bike purchase (yes, I've made smaller time purchases here and there, but well within my budget)!! And now I have none.

Those were good deals too 105 and Chorus equipped (respectively). Oh well, now that I think about it, perhaps still having that money probably is for the best. My mother is in need of new cookware and my father would like (doesn't really need) a new recliner. First world problems.

Any one else out there having non-buyers' remorse this holiday?

thegunner
12-29-2013, 12:26 PM
missed a gaulzetti corsa in my size for ~1200 across the hall

consoled myself by buying a vamoots the following month, but damn - that would've been quite the pair :)

oliver1850
12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
missed some BIN wheels on ebay that were a good deal.

buddy loves his Infinito by the way, just built a matching Cavaria.

jet sanchez
12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
This Mapei C40 for only a thousand bucks. Just couldn't work out the timing with the seller, missed it by a day.

http://i.imgur.com/V2njh4R.jpg

primov8
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
For over a month, I kept seeing a new '13 De Rosa Superking 888 EPS frameset with the price eventually dropping to $2199 w/ a best offer option. I kept telling myself I didn't need another bike and/or project.
This past Monday, I went on ebay to buy the frameset and it was no longer there. :(

notsew
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Argh, I had one. A perfect disc poprad with record. Rode it but couldn't pull the trigger. Emailed a couple weeks later and it was gone.

I missed another poprad that was going for crazy cheap. After a couple emails, it turned out his wife had just had a baby and he had to delay the sale. He said he would call in a week. I emailed before the end of the week and he said he needed a few more days. A few days later I emailed again, not wanting to be too pushy, and he had sold it to a guy who called him every day to get it. All fair in Craigslist and I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but that one burned a little. I guess I need to learn to be a little more aggressive.

Oh well, I ended up buying a frame off the forum and building up one nicer than the cheap one and cheaper than the nice one, so it all worked out. :)

SoCalSteve
12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Dave Kirk's personal DKS...outbid on eBay...:crap::crap::crap:

ceolwulf
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
There was a nice carbon Merckx frame that I got outbid on by 33 cents. That stung a bit. Went very cheap too.

And not quite the same, but after I'd got my cyclocross frame and the majority of the parts on the way, a local shop decided as part of after-Christmas sales to clear out their Ridley X-rides for $750 off, which put the price pretty much the same as what I've got in mine, and similar specs, but the Ridley has a fair bit more CX pedigree than my Masi, and of course would have a warranty. Is OK though, I get to use Campy.

jtakeda
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Found an Eisentraut Model A in my size.

Took it home, started to clean it up and found a crack.

Seller took it back no questions since he didn't see the crack.

Litton repair would've cost $750 which would've made the bike too expensive and couldn't really work a deal out.

WickedWheels
12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I had my eye on two Bianchis; an Impulso and an Infinito, ebay and craigslist (respectively). They had both been sitting for a LONG time (sellers kept re-listing and in the case of craigslist, bumping it to the top of the queue every week or so). Both at ridiculous steal (not actually stolen I would hope) prices because the sellers kept lowering the price every month. I don't check over Christmas (two days!) and both are gone, just like that. And I had been saving the entire year for a big bike purchase (yes, I've made smaller time purchases here and there, but well within my budget)!! And now I have none.

Those were good deals too 105 and Chorus equipped (respectively). Oh well, now that I think about it, perhaps still having that money probably is for the best. My mother is in need of new cookware and my father would like (doesn't really need) a new recliner. First world problems.

Any one else out there having non-buyers' remorse this holiday?

What size? Maybe I can help...

tiretrax
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Too many to talk about - both bikes and girls (don't tell my wife about either).

Anarchist
12-30-2013, 11:04 PM
De Rosa Titanio. Watched the same frame and fork sell twice, cheap.

Wanted it, dearly but kept telling myself I did not need another bike.

Kick myself over those two events.

rando
12-31-2013, 03:03 AM
A LOOK 695 frame recently that would have been more trouble than it was worth to set up as I wanted. I really had my heart set on trying out a Fizik Volta on that bike.

http://www.slanecycles.com/images/look%20695%20white%20red.jpg

chengher87
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
What size? Maybe I can help...

Haha, a size 50 in the Bianchi geometry would fit me best. But, I'll have to pass. Gotta admit, I'm....very...slightly relieved that both those bikes are gone. At least now I won't fawn over it any more. Plus I already have a LOOK I still need to build up and a tiny apartment.

Although, I am now getting slightly interested in the Lemond Maillot Jaune listed on this forum......

It's always something.................

cmg
12-31-2013, 12:41 PM
the Serotta legend ti i got recently was motivated from being on the losing end to many times. the moment i saw it was in the ball park i contacted the seller, made a deal. figured i could resell it if it didn't work out. now if i could find a Fondriest x-status in a 48cm size that would be great. saw one about 5yrs ago and didn't jump on it. too many times late for the show.

oddsaabs
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
2 got away in the past few years.

First there was this Kirk: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=100077

and then there was this Moots: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=135137

Thankfully, a perfect Time VXRS came along and I didn't let that one get away!

kramnnim
12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
A Look 695 with SR and 303s for...$1,500? Because of the price, I thought it was for the frame/fork...nope. The buyer flipped it on eBay for $3-4k sans wheels.

sevencyclist
12-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Thought you were talking about Lance before year 2013...

avalonracing
12-31-2013, 04:50 PM
This post just reminded me about a (SSCX) single speed cross Steelman with a Steelman stem and both a Steelman and ENVE fork that I agreed to buy from someone across the the country. It would have fit me like it was build for me. We had a deal via the phone/text and then he dropped off for a few days. When he got back to me he said that the original owner (who it was actually built for) found out it was for sale and really wanted it back and he thought he should sell it to him instead of me unless I was going to be "bummed about it".

I said that I was looking forward to it and if he did follow through and it to me and I decided not to keep it I would resell it to the original owner at my cost. Well, I guess he didn't mean it when he made that offer and texted back to say he was going to sell it to the original owner. No big deal if that is the case and if the OO does have it now I hope he doesn't make the mistake of letting it go again. It probably would have ended up with the OO anyway because as much as I love the look of a single speed, when it comes down to it I live in a reasonably hilly area and I love gears.

There will always be another bike.