PDA

View Full Version : HandleBar Tape

Splash
12-29-2013, 08:19 AM
ok - now onto my next venture.... handlebar tape.

i have the sl-k-compact carbon handlebar
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/599/SL-K-COMPACT-HANDLEBAR

...and applied Cinelli C-Ribbon tape (tripple density)
http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php/prodotti?page=shop.product_details&flypage=accessoriflypage.tpl&product_id=131&category_id=2&sub=15

...along with gel pads on the top of handlebar

i was not able to cover one side with a complete single ribbon tape and so double over with another tape - hence the appraent bulkiness.

as per photos, have i gone overboard or will this ribbon tape settle down and be ok? is this a big impact on wind resistance and wil it ache y hands after 100km in the saddle?

also, i cannot get the bar ends planted into the bar due to clearance - despite following the instructions that came with the ribbon tape. how to do this?

i don't ind the extra padding because i tend to nub my hands alot on long rides.

thoughts?

splash.

tigoat
12-29-2013, 09:03 AM
This is such a nice bike with an awesome drivetrain so I wouldn't let the bar tape ruin it. A carbon bar will pretty much provide a very comfortable ride so it is really not necessary to have any extra thickness on the bar tape. Foam or gel on bar tape is just a gimmick, as I don't think it will do much to damp vibration compared to the effectiveness of a full carbon handlebar. I would let the pro do your bar wrap once and learn how to do it like a pro afterward.

Wesley37
12-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I have been using the Fizik 3mm tape for the winter, as I am on the rollers and my position tends to be a lot more static. This aggravates problems with fit that I would not notice on the road, where I move my position a lot more.

That said, cushy tape should not be your main remedy, it is a small way of ameliorating a more serious problem. I am willing to bet that you are having problems with hand numbness primarily because of your fit - specifically, your fit is not balanced, and as a result, you are supporting too much weight with your hands.

For some people getting a more balanced position means moving the handlebars up and adopting a more upright position. For myself, I have actually dropped my handlebars down, but I have the flexibility and core strength to make it work. Whether the handlebars go up or down, however, what matters is having a balanced position, that does not excessively weight the hands.

For more details on getting a balanced position, and testing your position to see how balanced it is, read this:
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/seat-set-back-for-road-bikes/

bike-md
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM
It looks fine to me.

But, I don't think you need it this thick...I do agree that the carbon bars will negate the need for so much tape and gel.

As for the bar plugs, you can taper or cut the bar tape and you would only need the top layer to be squeezed in and that should hold down the other layers.

rwsaunders
12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
http://sveltecycles.blogspot.com/2009/03/bar-tape-done-proper.html

CaptStash
12-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Ok, practical advice:

1: Tape from the plug end up to the stem. Use a rubber mallet to tap in the plug.
2: leave an inch between the stem and the end of the taping.
3: if one roll of tape is not enough, it means you are overlapping too much, undo and try again.

Handlebar taping is not hard, but like many things takes a little bit of practice. Keep at it and you will get it fine. By the way, you tape from the plug end up so that you don't catch the edge of tape when you move your hands down in the drops.

CaptStash....

#campyuserftw
12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Tape aside, in the third and fifth photos, it appears your shifters are not at the same, equal position. Your lefthand shifter looks lower.

Also, is it your goal to tape all the way to the stem? I think that's part of your lack-of-tape issue.

A. Consider moving the tape 1.5" to 2" away from the stem on both sides; your finishing-point which is all the way to the stem is using up your tape, beyond the bulbous area of the bar, doesn't serve a purpose as your hands will never reside there when your hands are on the 'tops', and doesn't look 'pro'. :) Your bars are here, and the tape should resemble this:

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2012/12/10/2/1354716631836_1m9wpzz92tluw_800_75_670.jpg

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2013/11/06/1/1382562853359_1nvlbrvdg5eqb_800_75_670.jpg

B. Perform a proper 'figure 8' at the shifter.
C. Check your shifter's position and secure them firmly to the handlebar.
D. You should have plenty of tape to wrap the bars with one roll, fully, and without out Frankensteining them.

tiretrax
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Another issue - you're supposed to use celeste or white tape on that bike!

I think the gel is overkill with the carbon bars.

I found that stretching the tape and overlapping 1/3 of the prior loop helped to prevent the tape from slumping later, which I think is likely to happen to you.

You should be able to press in the plugs as soon as you make the first loop around the bars. If the tape is too thick, I suggest you reloop it and pull the tape a little tighter. You are definitely going too close to the stem. Look at pictures of pro bikes or on the Bianchi website to see the proper gap - 1-2".

bluto
12-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I've never seen tape that goes all way to stem.....:confused:

OtayBW
12-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Agreed - too bulky, IMO. Ditch the gel pads and move back ~1.5-2 in from the stem. Also, be sure to taper/bevel the last wrap to permit a clean, forward-facing turn at near the stem. Less is more, man...

enr1co
12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I've never seen tape that goes all way to stem.....:confused:

Do you actually ride with your hands all the way in the center of the bars at the stem?

I would get rid of the 3-4 tighly spaced wrap/tape butted up to the stem, cut the tape, finish it with electrical tape and leave at least 2-3inches bare bar from the stem on each side.

Charles M
12-29-2013, 11:59 AM
They're your bars...

Do you find it comfortable?

I do. I wrap my bars with sponge tape on the cross bars to the hoods and then wrap the entire bar again in Handlebra.

It gives you a larger surface (which spreads the load across a larger part of your palms) and great cushion on the tops and leaves the drops narrow for better grip.

And it doesn't look much different until you ask a bunch of folks to judge it...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/sartohandlebra-1024x786.jpg

This place is full of folks ready to tell you how (bad) something looks, without ever asking how it works... (in fairness to the critic's, you're asking though)

And "carbon bars" is pretty generic to tell someone they're more comfortable... That's crap. there are some WAY stiff carbon bars and stems out there that don't do much damping at all.

That's like saying tire pressure won't effect bump damping on carbon rims.

If you wrapped these for comfort and the ability to change hand positions on the tops, mission accomplished. That mission gets accomplished in exactly the same way by guys running Parix Roubaix...

Enjoy the ride.

tuscanyswe
12-29-2013, 12:09 PM
This is such a nice bike with an awesome drivetrain so I wouldn't let the bar tape ruin it. A carbon bar will pretty much provide a very comfortable ride so it is really not necessary to have any extra thickness on the bar tape. Foam or gel on bar tape is just a gimmick, as I don't think it will do much to damp vibration compared to the effectiveness of a full carbon handlebar. I would let the pro do your bar wrap once and learn how to do it like a pro afterward.

You really believe foam/gel or thickness of tape is a gimmick but believe that carbon bars do a good job against vibrations? The exact opposite of my thinking.

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
HandleBra over cheapo cork is one potential solution.

or wrap HB over a decent quality hockey tape.

Most people really like one or the other.

Pete Mckeon
12-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Has been my favorite over the past years:banana: and it can come in combo colours that accent the bike:bike:

HandleBra over cheapo cork is one potential solution.

or wrap HB over a decent quality hockey tape.

Most people really like one or the other.

Threshold
12-29-2013, 12:50 PM
The first layer you need to start a little further up from the butt end and watch the initial overlap start. The second layer wrap normal. Also, it looks like Fizik tape? Those non-foam tapes are really hard to do what you are doing with. Double wrap works best with more pliable foam type tapes and not the stiff synthetic stuff.

Also, you are adding a tone of weight. Are you positioned correctly?? You should not need that type of tape/gel for anything other than cobbles in Belgium!

Splash
12-29-2013, 05:05 PM
thanks boys.

i will re-do the whole lot without gel pads and with a single layer, etc.

i will upload more photos after.

splash

AngryScientist
12-29-2013, 05:18 PM
the photo below shows what's really wrong with this set-up IMO.

there is electrical tape just above the hoods, this is no-good. sweat and the elements will eventually cause the electrical tape to break down and become sloppy, your hands should be in contact with the bar tape only, not having electrical tape in a typical "high traffic" area.

i also think you went in way to far towards the stem, good to leave a little exposed bar in the middle section.

i say all that not as being critical, just offering advice on what i see as problems.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697873181&stc=1&d=1388326678

Admiral Ackbar
12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
take your time as well, i notice that a lot of the "layers" (each wrap of the bar) are uneven in their coverage and angle, go slow, overlap no more than half the width of the tape (imo) and make sure its even along the whole width of the bar. i like my tape coverage as thin as possible so i go for almost no overlap on my tape. but if you want more damping i'd go for 1/2 a width of the tape or so. the area around the hoods is the most difficult. i almost always end up with some of my bar showing through around that area but i don't real care because i ride my bike instead of looking at it

Splash
12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
thank you - great tips.

splash

Admiral Ackbar
12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
whoa, looks like that right side brake pad could use some adjustment too!

Splash
12-29-2013, 06:51 PM
bike only half finished and not yet ridden.

splash

maj
12-29-2013, 06:59 PM
There are several good bar wrap tutorials on YouTube.

Here's one but I'd suggest that you check some others before you give it a go again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-iZjcp_5M

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 08:36 AM
The first layer you need to start a little further up from the butt end and watch the initial overlap start. The second layer wrap normal. Also, it looks like Fizik tape? Those non-foam tapes are really hard to do what you are doing with. Double wrap works best with more pliable foam type tapes and not the stiff synthetic stuff.

Also, you are adding a tone of weight. Are you positioned correctly?? You should not need that type of tape/gel for anything other than cobbles in Belgium!

yikes.

Splash
12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
ok - fwiw - thought i'd post some pictures of the rework.

not that i'll be riding it for a while, but just to say thank you.

i know it's not perfect, but is lighter...

splash

#campyuserftw
12-30-2013, 07:56 PM
You done good. Redemption is yours, and the best part is, you did it. You could've gone to your LBS, but there's some things we should do, and bar tape is one of them imo.

Just a wee bit of TLC near the electrical tape section on the right side (the bar tape isn't secured down fully as a niblet is still loose).

Good work.

:beer:

Splash
12-30-2013, 08:02 PM
thanks.

i saw that little bit of tape sticking out when i was taking the pictures - and will tend to it when i get a chance to ride it some time in the next 4 months..

anyway, thanks for all of your help on this thread.

splash

#campyuserftw
12-30-2013, 08:19 PM
thanks.

i saw that little bit of tape sticking out when i was taking the pictures - and will tend to it when i get a chance to ride it some time in the next 4 months..

anyway, thanks for all of your help on this thread.

splash

Do the right thing. Admire the simple, but effective task you just completed. Grab a glass of red wine, and toast to your Bianchi's celeste, and this man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2FQqHF8x5I

:cool:

Splash
12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
thanks for that link.

i salivated and dreamed of me on that bianchi in tdf ... :-)

one day man, one day.....

splash

pinkshogun
12-30-2013, 09:14 PM
those colors inside the perforations look cool

Tony T
12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
A few comments that gel does not help, well I had a bit of pain that was alleviated with the Fizik Bar:Gel (http://www.fizik.it/products/bar-tapes/bar-gel/)