PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 500 mount 'upgrade'?

TBLS
12-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Just r'cvd my first Garmin 500. Factory bike mount ok or should I look at one of the aftermarket mounts (SRAM, barfly, garmin, etc.)?

If so, any reco's?

Thanks!

thegunner
12-27-2013, 03:45 PM
i found the stock mount a bit annoying - even with the bands in place it would shift around if i moved my bike with the stem. i use a k-edge now, but the barfly and sram ones are a bit more cost effective whilst doing the same exact thing.

cheers!

krhea
12-27-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd use the mount it came with before I'd spend money on something I don't know I actually "need".

I used the supplied mount for years with no problems whatsoever. It never slipped and was plenty secure.

I now have both BarFly and KEdge mounts. I don't "need" either but I like the look of the mount so I purchased a few. I really like the BarFly simply for the color choices but both work well. Again, I don't need anything other then the supplied Garmin mount.

dave thompson
12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Beware of the original BarFly and K-Edge. Both can, and will, cut off the mounting ears of the Garmin over time. The BarFly 1.1, 2.0 and the new K-Edge with the plastic insert seem to be better.

pdmtong
12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd use the mount it came with before I'd spend money on something I don't know I actually "need".

I used the supplied mount for years with no problems whatsoever. It never slipped and was plenty secure.

I now have both BarFly and KEdge mounts. I don't "need" either but I like the look of the mount so I purchased a few. I really like the BarFly simply for the color choices but both work well. Again, I don't need anything other then the supplied Garmin mount.

functionally the stock mount is fine. I like having the 500 forward of the bar, so from a positional standpoint an after market mount is nice.

Beware of the original BarFly and K-Edge. Both can, and will, cut off the mounting ears of the Garmin over time. The BarFly 1.1, 2.0 and the new K-Edge with the plastic insert seem to be better.

plenty of discussion on the forum..do a search

kgreene10
12-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree with others that the stock mount works fine, but I actually got a surprising benefit from the k-edge mount. By putting the computer further out front, my neck and back started to feel better and I now find it more comfortable to ride in a more aero position. This may not be the case if you don't constantly look at power numbers like I do. For me, it's enough of a benefit by itself.

eddief
12-27-2013, 04:48 PM
for years, I have found the Garmin factory-supplied mount to be a revelation. So simple, so effective. An example of how it could and should be done.

RedRider
12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
The new Garmin mounts move the computer in front of the bars and allow you to position it on an angle. It makes it easier to see and probably safer since you don't have to look down at the stem. It also gets rid of the rubber bands on the stem.
The new Garmin mount is included in new 500/510/810 packages in addition to the stem mount. The Sram version is about half the price of the aftermarket Garman mount and works as well.

bloody sunday
12-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I use the new Garmin mount that puts it ahead of the stem. It works well.

R3awak3n
12-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I use the new Garmin mount that puts it ahead of the stem. It works well.

same here, its nice. I have seen the edge and its really nice too but i wanted something more simple looking

r_mutt
12-28-2013, 06:20 AM
functionally the stock mount is fine. I like having the 500 forward of the bar, so from a positional standpoint an after market mount is nice.

functionally, the stock mount is fine, if you like a mount that moves every time you push a button.

mounting the computer further away helps your neck with the viewing angle, won't move when you push buttons, and cleans up the lines on your stem. what's not to like? win, win, win.