PDA

View Full Version : ot: Jay Leno waxing philosophical, whacking off re: 911

eddief
12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I was intrigued and barfing and envious at the rich guys discussing this beauty:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/26/porsche-911-singer-jay-lenos-garage-video/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Ken Robb
12-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I can understand a $300,000 one-of-a-kind automobile easier than a $50,000 mass-produced (relatively speaking) over-sized wristwatch.

Gsinill
12-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Watched this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE) a few months back. Honestly, if I had enough money to buy any car I want, this would be it. Hands down!

thirdgenbird
12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Watched this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE) a few months back. Honestly, if I had enough money to buy any car I want, this would be it. Hands down!

Me too. Why bother with a boring modern production car when you can have this.

It is sort of the same argument that could be used when comparing a high end mass produced carbon frame vs a more expensive custom frame.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2013, 08:22 AM

If I had that kinda dough, I would buy one of these.

54ny77
12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Am a big fan of Rob Dickinson's actual singing. Dude has a great voice.

Ahneida Ride
12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
My favorite car ... no brainer !

ctcyclistbob
12-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I was intrigued and barfing and envious at the rich guys discussing this beauty:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/26/porsche-911-singer-jay-lenos-garage-video/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Thanks for posting this, I thought it was really cool. They said it took 4,000 hours to make that car and it sells for $350,000 which seems pretty low relatively. Not many $$$ per hour.

The perfection in every aspect of the car was amazing, just like it is in a custom bike. A bike is a lot more affordable though.

This reminded me of the old Klein priorities poster with a 911 :

Marz
12-29-2013, 01:54 AM

Of course.

Great pic of a very beautiful aircraft.

gasman
12-29-2013, 04:58 AM

An F4 phantom is a pretty cool plane.

I'd go for an SR-71 if I was stinking rich

Saint Vitus
12-29-2013, 08:50 AM

Anything for you, Auric Goldfinger...

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Engine:
3.8L Flat-6
Power:
360 HP / 280 LB-FT
Transmission:
6-Speed Manual
0-60 Time:
4.0 Seconds (est.)
Drivetrain:
Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight:
2,650 LBS
Seating:
2+2
Base Price:
$350,000 (est.)
As-Tested Price:
$490,000 (est.)

Here is the link .... http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/porsche-911-reimagined-by-singer-review-first-drive/

I believe that 500 Kfrn price does not include the price of the car.
It's just the re-imagining.

Gsinill
12-29-2013, 09:45 AM
It took more than 4,000h to build it up (actually Dickinson said: "we stopped counting after 4,000").
Make it $500K and you end up with an hourly rate of $125.
This is still $10 less than what the Porsche dealer charges for the Zuffenhausen trained "technicians" that weren't able to identify an issue on an Cayenne I used to own before the engine finally blew up…

This said, the car is a (still unaffordable) bargain ;)

As-Tested Price:
$490,000 (est.)

tuscanyswe
12-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Thats been my dream car since i first saw it as well. I always loved the classic looking 911s and this is just icing on the cake (and then some).

Lovely!!!

ctcyclistbob
12-29-2013, 10:43 AM
The labor cost would be less than $125/hour because the $500k includes all parts purchased too.

Oh well, it doesn't matter because I can't afford one anyway. But if I could I'd go for this look :

tiretrax
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I fell in love with that car as a young boy in the 1960's. There were only a handful around. I probably built the Revel model 5 times. Unfortunately, the 911 was ruined when it changed to a computer controlled, power assisted everything luxomobile. It's very sad that one of the great sports cars is now just a luxury two door that handles well. The 964 model was a vast improvement over it's late 70's-80's predecessors, and almost as good looking as the original 911's, but this recreation is fantastic. If that had been around 20 years ago, my children never would have attended private school, even though I'm getting something more substantial in return.

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
It took more than 4,000h to build it up (actually Dickinson said: "we stopped counting after 4,000").
Make it $500K and you end up with an hourly rate of $125.
This is still $10 less than what the Porsche dealer charges for the Zuffenhausen trained "technicians" that weren't able to identify an issue on an Cayenne I used to own before the engine finally blew up…

This said, the car is a (still unaffordable) bargain ;)

I completely agree .... this is the best car out there. bar none.
If only I had 500 Kfrn to burn ....

Check out the images of the Silver Mexico 911 on the Singer Site.
Sheer Perfection .... :banana:

oldpotatoe
12-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Nope, just goes high and fast..not a great airshow aircraft PLUS..ya can't buy surplus US aircraft..they are owned by the US Gov't and leased to the military..then to D-M after they are retired. Ya gotta look to a foreign company for a military aircraft..no SR-71 ever went to another country.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I completely agree .... this is the best car out there. bar none.
If only I had 500 Kfrn to burn ....

Check out the images of the Silver Mexico 911 on the Singer Site.
Sheer Perfection .... :banana:

For me it is either Nebraska or New York. In my dreams, I would combine aspects from both.

Fixed
12-29-2013, 01:31 PM
My favorite car ... no brainer !

Class
+1
Cheers:)

gasman
12-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Nope, just goes high and fast..not a great airshow aircraft PLUS..ya can't buy surplus US aircraft..they are owned by the US Gov't and leased to the military..then to D-M after they are retired. Ya gotta look to a foreign company for a military aircraft..no SR-71 ever went to another country.
Yea I know I couldn't own one but I was in DC visiting family last week and saw a static display of an SR-71. It's just so effin cool it's been on my mind ever since. You're right it wouldn't work at an airshow. Still it's an inspiring plane.

choke
12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, the 911 was ruined when it changed to a computer controlled, power assisted everything luxomobile. It's very sad that one of the great sports cars is now just a luxury two door that handles well.+11ty billion. I'd much rather have a '73 RS than the Singer. Or a Ruf Bluebird. I'd even take a 912 over it. :eek:

But then, pretty much anything with 4 wheels I find boring these days. If I won the lotto a Liberty Cycle Car (http://cycle-car.com/) would be one of the first things I ordered - right after I found the Desmosedici RR.

Ken Robb
12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Yea I know I couldn't own one but I was in DC visiting family last week and saw a static display of an SR-71. It's just so effin cool it's been on my mind ever since. You're right it wouldn't work at an airshow. Still it's an inspiring plane.

We have one on static display in front of the SD Aerospace Museum. Of course inside we have a Fokker Tri-Plane so it's in good company.

bikinchris
12-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Of course, you have to buy a tanker and crew to refuel an SR71 after takeoff. The tanks leak like crazy at normal temperatures and they have to refuel after takeoff. So one Sr71 is not enough, you need a second plane and crew to make it work.

As for cars, I guess I am prejudice. I want a 1967 Mustang with the 5.0 Coyote engine and the Cobra Jet manifold mated to a 6 speed. Put a complete suspension upgrade and 4 wheel discs and that would be fun for me. A nice light car with high revving V8. I would have about 400,000 to spare from that Porsche. And yet, I used to work at a Porsche dealership and am well aware of how nice the older 911 handled.

93legendti
12-29-2013, 10:27 PM
F-15 - never shot down in combat. So tough, one even landed missing a wing- it had been sheared off in a brush with another jet.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=f-15+lands+missing+one+wing&pcarrier=T-Mobile&pmcc=310&pmnc=260

fuzzalow
12-29-2013, 10:30 PM
That is a lovely, desirable example of a 911. Take a donor car 911 to keep a street legal shell and change almost everything else inside and outside the car except for the VIN.

A car that light is impossible to enjoy on the street; its limits cannot even be tickled much less tested. This the main drawback to any super car caliber automobile that can't or won't be run on a race track - the car is coveted for what it is as an object but can't be experienced for what it can do. And for a driver, that is ultimately unsatisfying. But what a beautiful car to own.

To continue the game of fantasy aircraft or cars to own: in aircraft a Harrier jump jet so I could actually use it and land it anywhere there's room to set her down. In cars, any recent vintage Formula1 Ferrari Grand Prix racecar with the track time to run it on. Spa or Suzuka, Watkins Glen if limited to stateside tracks.

Louis
12-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd take a Staggerwing Beech over a silly SR-71 just about any day of the week. (unless I needed to get somewhere in a real hurry)

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/staggerwing_simonthomas.jpg

Lewis Moon
12-29-2013, 10:33 PM
On the front page the title to this was shortened to "Jay Leno waxing..."

I need some brain bleach.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 08:07 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170463-lockheed-unveils-sr-72-hypersonic-mach-6-scramjet-spy-plane

The 'question' is whether or not it will be manned or remote..I'm guessing remote..too bad..less sea stories.

As for the Staggerwing..mee too...except for the Phantom...maybe get both..all ya need is the mega gigantic millions lottery...or convince Bill gates you are related to him..

redir
12-30-2013, 09:00 AM
F-15 - never shot down in combat. So tough, one even landed missing a wing- it had been sheared off in a brush with another jet.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=f-15+lands+missing+one+wing&pcarrier=T-Mobile&pmcc=310&pmnc=260

Holy S... :eek:

malcolm
12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
I fell in love with that car as a young boy in the 1960's. There were only a handful around. I probably built the Revel model 5 times. Unfortunately, the 911 was ruined when it changed to a computer controlled, power assisted everything luxomobile. It's very sad that one of the great sports cars is now just a luxury two door that handles well. The 964 model was a vast improvement over it's late 70's-80's predecessors, and almost as good looking as the original 911's, but this recreation is fantastic. If that had been around 20 years ago, my children never would have attended private school, even though I'm getting something more substantial in return.

My wife has driven Porsches for over twenty years. She currently has a '13 or '14 C2S and she says in some ways it's her favorite and least favorite all at the same time. It's an incredible car, easy to drive very powerful and very comfortable. It also does well on the track as her last visit to the driving school they were using them.

She has owned them going back to the '80 including a couple turbos and I think her favorite or at least the one she misses the most was I think a '93 RS America. I suspect she would sell me if I was worth anything for one of these singers.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Yep, lotsa lifties from the fuselage with this and other 'nacelled' type aircraft designs.

But, stranger than truth..sorry for the thread drift. F-8 flying with wings folded..happened on the F-4 also.

fuzzalow
12-30-2013, 09:16 AM
As for the Staggerwing..mee too...except for the Phantom...maybe get both..all ya need is the mega gigantic millions lottery...or convince Bill gates you are related to him..

Mere lottery money won't do it, that's not enough! IPO windfall (see Zuckerberg)...or longstanding business behemoth (see Larry Ellison)...or 1st wave dot com survivor (see Jeff Bezos).

The less high profile of the 3 founders of MSFT Paul Allen already has and plays with the aircraft toys we commoners are having beer conversation about. I think he bought a Mig Foxbat or something from the dissolution of the old Soviet Union. Money isn't everything, but it can sure buy some pretty fun stuff.

93legendti
12-30-2013, 10:53 AM

I know...amazing. Doesn't hurt to have a great pilot in the first seat, but what a plane.