PDA

View Full Version : Sram Question

Tony
12-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I purchased this bike and very excited about getting it! http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wi...NjQ2F0MTAwMTU4
I did the following upgrades...
Allegra 6700 crank set, 172.5 50/34
Thomson Elite seat post
3T ARCS Alloy stem
FSA wing pro compact bar
105 BB
These changes added $175.00 to this package, but still under $2000.00 otd. Is there anything else I should consider changing with the Sram components? I have never used Sram, not familiar with this group. This is my last day before they build the bike and ship it to me. I'm thinking maybe the front der?
Thanks for any suggestions.

AngryScientist
12-27-2013, 10:49 AM
dead link...

Nooch
12-27-2013, 10:50 AM
not so sure why you're opting for the ultegra crankset -- I know it works, just curious, if it's an otherwise sram build...

AngryScientist
12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
not so sure why you're opting for the ultegra crankset -- I know it works, just curious, if it's an otherwise sram build...

not knowing what he's coming from...

shimano chainrings shift so much better than sram ones, it's amazing.

Nooch
12-27-2013, 10:55 AM

shimano chainrings shift so much better than sram ones, it's amazing.

makes me wonder what I'm missing, because I think my sram rings shift fine :)

Tony
12-27-2013, 10:57 AM

The Rival cranks look bad fast as the paint rubs off. It was only a small amount to upgrade to the Ultegra cranks. I don't know if they work better only that they will look better in the long run.

AngryScientist
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
makes me wonder what I'm missing, because I think my sram rings shift fine :)

mind you, i'm a pretty die-hard campy guy; but i'll say without a doubt, shimano has the best front shifting of the big-3. they simply have the best designed chainrings for smooth front shifting. campy is close, but sram is a distant third.

sram is/was well aware of how much lower tier their front shifting was, and that led to their new fancy-pants yaw FD, which i think largely helped the problem, but the fact remains that shimano is king of front shifting based on their superior designed chainrings.

(i hear praxis rings are right up there too...)

Tony
12-27-2013, 11:05 AM

I'm not familiar with Sram. There may be some issues with some of their components that I'm not aware of that others here are. This is my last day to make any changes with the specs. The shifters and the front der. are a concern. Should I consider an upgrade with these two components?

gomango
12-27-2013, 11:16 AM
mind you, i'm a pretty die-hard campy guy; but i'll say without a doubt, shimano has the best front shifting of the big-3. they simply have the best designed chainrings for smooth front shifting. campy is close, but sram is a distant third.

sram is/was well aware of how much lower tier their front shifting was, and that led to their new fancy-pants yaw FD, which i think largely helped the problem, but the fact remains that shimano is king of front shifting based on their superior designed chainrings.

(i hear praxis rings are right up there too...)

I have a SRAM Rival build on my Merckx cross bike with an Ultegra crank.

Shifts like a champ.

That being said, I still prefer Campy.

I've switched over most of road/gravel bikes to Campy and I really like supporting fewer systems.

Puget Pounder
12-27-2013, 11:48 AM
I think most of the problems with the front shifting was with the older red FD. That said, I do agree that shimano wins in the front shifting arena.

vqdriver
12-27-2013, 11:55 AM
link to the bike doesn't work. can't make suggestions without knowing what's on the bike now.

re the fd, unless it's a red, non-yaw fd, just leave it alone.

Tony
12-27-2013, 01:15 PM
link to the bike doesn't work. can't make suggestions without knowing what's on the bike now.

re the fd, unless it's a red, non-yaw fd, just leave it alone.

I think they sold out. Maybe this will work?
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wilier-cross-carbon-sram-force-rival-complete-bike?ti=UExQIENhdDo6MToxOmNjQ2F0MTAwMTU4

Here is the specs
Frame Material:
Toray T-700SC carbon fiber, Toray M30J carbon fiber, 60T carbon fiber
Fork:
ENVE
Fork Material:
carbon fiber
Headset:
Ritchey
Shifters:
SRAM Rival
Front Derailleur:
SRAM Rival
Rear Derailleur:
SRAM Force
Crankset:
50/34 t SRAM Rival
Crank Arm Length:
[sizes x-small and small] 170 mm, [size medium] 172.5 mm, [sizes large, x-large, and xx-large] 175 mm
Bottom Bracket:
SRAM GXP
Pedals:
not included
Cassette:
12-25 t SRAM PG-1070
Chain:
SRAM PC-1031
Brake Calipers:
Avid Shorty 6
Handlebar:
Zipp Service Course
Handlebar Width:
[size x-small] 42 cm, [sizes small, medium, and large] 44 cm, [sizes x-large and xx-large] 46 cm
Bar Tape:
Arundel
Stem:
Zipp Service Course
Stem Length:
[size x-small] 90 mm, [size small] 100 mm, [sizes medium, large, and x-large] 110 mm, [size xx-large] 120 mm
Saddle:
Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio
Seatpost:
Zipp Service Course
Seat Collar:
alloy clamp
Wheelset:
Mavic Aksium
Skewers:
included
Tires:
Michelin Cyclocross Mud 2
Tire Size:
700 c x 30 mm
Recommended Use:
cyclocross racing
Manufacturer Warranty:
2 years on frame
Actual Weight:
Matte Black, M: 8,110g

Thanks!

vqdriver
12-27-2013, 01:32 PM
that spec looks fine. if it were mine, i would leave it be.
re the cranks, all black cranks look bad fast if you're knocking it against the ground or pedal like a duck.

Charles M
12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
SRAM's changed the chain, front DER and Chainrings (and cranks)...

The front shifting is nothing like it was 2 years ago.

You'll be fine.

thirdgenbird
12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I would leave it too. If I did anything, it would be praxis rings.

Edit: before rings, I would buy nice pedals and maybe different brakes.

discman
12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
That package looks just fine. CC does a good job putting value bike packages together. Why change it? If you want to upgrade do the whole Ultegra group. Whatever you decide...enjoy the ride.

pdmtong
12-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I would change the brakes and wheels for [performance reasons.
Plus, resale is zilch on those two..so get them swapped before receipt.

Leave the rest for when/if they wear out/break. functionality is fine.

the swap to ultegra cranks is a luxury I would have done AFTER the brakes and wheels.

Tony
12-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I would change the brakes and wheels for [performance reasons.
Plus, resale is zilch on those two..so get them swapped before receipt.

Leave the rest for when/if they wear out/break. functionality is fine.

the swap to ultegra cranks is a luxury I would have done AFTER the brakes and wheels.

The wheels was my first choice for an upgrade, however it just took me over the limit money wise. The wheels that are spec on this bike are a special buy. CC bought a 1000 of them for using on build ups, I would only get a little over a $100.00 credit towards a better wheel set. I decided to just keep it and use it until I could get something better, maybe here.
I did not think of the brakes and called CC after reading your reply, too late for any more upgrades.

I'm surprised at the great customer service at CC. They were really patient with me. I did not realize that one could bargain with CC regarding prices. I was able to get the bike that was on sale for $200.00 less because I told them I was interested in another bike. I also asked them if they could lower the price on several upgrades, and they did!

Thanks all for the help, appreciated!

HillDancer
12-27-2013, 07:59 PM
...too late for any more upgrades...

OK.

I like Shimano's FD-CX70 top pull. Keep that front derailleur in mind for the future.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2013, 07:37 AM
I purchased this bike and very excited about getting it! http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wi...NjQ2F0MTAwMTU4
I did the following upgrades...
Allegra 6700 crank set, 172.5 50/34
Thomson Elite seat post
3T ARCS Alloy stem
FSA wing pro compact bar
105 BB
These changes added $175.00 to this package, but still under $2000.00 otd. Is there anything else I should consider changing with the Sram components? I have never used Sram, not familiar with this group. This is my last day before they build the bike and ship it to me. I'm thinking maybe the front der?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Other than get a entire shimano build..the 6700 crank, with it's stiffer and longer lasting CRs, will shift better, last longer. When you want the best shifting(less thanswapping all the sram stuff for shimano), get a 5700 or 6700 FD..will work better.