PDA

View Full Version : PSA on ebay 1986-Peter-Mooney-Cycles-55cm

cnighbor1
12-26-2013, 06:32 PM
we were just discussing peter Mooney bicycles and here is one FS
Charles (not mine)
1986-Peter-Mooney-Cycles-55cm-Dura-Ace-7700-Frame-340-Vintage-Road-Bike eBay item number:261361859305
1986 Peter Mooney Cycles, Frame #340. Handbuilt at Bellmont Wheelworks by legendary frame builder Peter Mooney, this frame features a Century Road Race Geometry built with mix of Columbus SL & SP Tubing. This frame was originally built as a stock bike for Wheelworks and not as a custom. When I received the frame the original paint had seen enough so it was stripped and powder coated a matte black. The original top tube cable guides where also damaged as is common with these era frames, so they where removed and replaced with 60's era Campagnolo chrome top tube clamps. The frame is straight and true, the rear triangle professionally coldset to 130mm spacing to accept modern axle widths. I never replaced the axle stop posts on the rear dropouts, the threading was difficult to source and its really unnecesary with a modern wheel. Feel free to look at Peters site for more examples of his work @http://www.peter-mooney.com/ Shimano Dura Ace 7700 53/39x175mmx11-23. The last of the 9 speed Dura Ace and the best looking when paired with a vintage frame, this was really the only groupo I felt this frame should be built up with. I'd also been saving it for a frame like this for a few years. 2500 miles on current drivetrain, a new KMC X9L chain replaced the old 7700 chain at 1200 miles. Drivetrain reads new.
A small piece of chrome flaked off the outside for the front derailleur cage right after it was installed, doesn't affect performance but its kind of a bummer. Giant P-SLR1 Wheelset. An amazing wheelset, great ride quality, and very hassle free. Tubeless Ready! It wasn't my first choice for a wheelset in regards to the overall look of the bike, but I was lured by the weight/price point and have not been disappointed. The rest of the components are a mix of Origin8, Selle Royal, Fizik and Zipp.
The tape and saddle are in great shape, but I would replace the tires before any longer, the front would make a good trainer tire, the rear is questionable. This bike was ridden before me, restored and ridden again. It is by no means a new bicycle. There are pain flaws here and there, note the photo of the bottom bracket lug. A few chips from the toptube as well. The inside of the frame has had 3 JP Wiegle treatments since I've had it, and the outside gets a a wax once a season, you'll notice where there are paint chips, there's no rust. All said its still in amazing shape and should continue to perform without incident for many years. Any questions, further photos, or to view the bike personally, do not hesitate to contact me.

Geometry:
TT: 550mm
ST: 560mm
HT Angle: 73deg
ST Angle: 73deg
Stem. 90mm

Handling for this bike will be free, professionally bike shop packaged and shipped at actual cost.

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Details about 1986 Peter Mooney Cycles 55cm Dura Ace 7700 Frame #340 Vintage Road Bike

thwart
12-26-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Peter-Mooney-Cycles-55cm-Dura-Ace-7700-Frame-340-Vintage-Road-Bike-/261361859305?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3cda617ae9

Sweet.

Admiral Ackbar
12-26-2013, 07:02 PM
thats one beautiful bike

Ti Designs
12-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Actually, I have four of them...

cnighbor1
12-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Actually, I have four of them...Have you posted photos to this site would love to see them
Charles
cnighbor2@yahoo.com

gomango
12-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Actually, I have four of them...Have you posted photos to this site would love to see them
Charles
cnighbor2@yahoo.com

So would I.

I've only seen two Mooneys locally here in the Twin Cities.

Both of them were exceptional.

Ti Designs
12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I've worked for Peter Mooney for 28 years, I've bought 7 of his frames over the years. Two were for girlfriends (dating me is like a Ginsu ad, even if you dump me, keep the Peter Mooney as our gift... The last ex-girlfriend only got a Specialized - I'm learning!!!) Two matching race bikes, a track bike, a day touring bike and a retro bike. One of my race bikes I gave away when I switched to riding a Seven, the other became my backup bike. It's now a trainer bike that I keep at the shop for when I teach classes and I'm on the bike. The track bike I'll never get rid of, it's the best bike in the world. The retro bike is worth cleaning up and posting pictures of. It's Reynolds 531 club gauge tubing with heart cut-outs in the lugs and a brampton fastback seat cluster - worth a picture of it's own. It's got a mix of Nuovo and Super Record parts with Simplex retrofriction down tube levers. The spec was based on the common set-up of many of the top cyclists in the late 70's (when I started racing), so it has Super Record cranks but a Nuovo Record inner chainring. The rear derailleur is Super Record, but the pulley cage and upper pivot bolt are Nuovo Record because the titanium upper pivot was milled to the same spec, but without the layer of chrome it gave the derailleur some wobble, and the centered cage shifted better on straight block freewheels.

I may have to pull that bike out of the basement, clean it up a bit and find a better place for it. Some place with visiting hours...

gomango
12-27-2013, 05:55 PM
I've worked for Peter Mooney for 28 years, I've bought 7 of his frames over the years. Two were for girlfriends (dating me is like a Ginsu ad, even if you dump me, keep the Peter Mooney as our gift... The last ex-girlfriend only got a Specialized - I'm learning!!!) Two matching race bikes, a track bike, a day touring bike and a retro bike. One of my race bikes I gave away when I switched to riding a Seven, the other became my backup bike. It's now a trainer bike that I keep at the shop for when I teach classes and I'm on the bike. The track bike I'll never get rid of, it's the best bike in the world. The retro bike is worth cleaning up and posting pictures of. It's Reynolds 531 club gauge tubing with heart cut-outs in the lugs and a brampton fastback seat cluster - worth a picture of it's own. It's got a mix of Nuovo and Super Record parts with Simplex retrofriction down tube levers. The spec was based on the common set-up of many of the top cyclists in the late 70's (when I started racing), so it has Super Record cranks but a Nuovo Record inner chainring. The rear derailleur is Super Record, but the pulley cage and upper pivot bolt are Nuovo Record because the titanium upper pivot was milled to the same spec, but without the layer of chrome it gave the derailleur some wobble, and the centered cage shifted better on straight block freewheels.

I may have to pull that bike out of the basement, clean it up a bit and find a better place for it. Some place with visiting hours...

Some guys have all the luck. :)

I would enjoy seeing pics at some point.

Actually, I think many of us would love to see them.

TIA

Aaron O
12-27-2013, 06:48 PM
I'd definitely like to see them.

vjp
12-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Please do post pics, love builds like this!

The retro bike is worth cleaning up and posting pictures of. It's Reynolds 531 club gauge tubing with heart cut-outs in the lugs and a brampton fastback seat cluster - worth a picture of it's own. It's got a mix of Nuovo and Super Record parts with Simplex retrofriction down tube levers. The spec was based on the common set-up of many of the top cyclists in the late 70's (when I started racing), so it has Super Record cranks but a Nuovo Record inner chainring. The rear derailleur is Super Record, but the pulley cage and upper pivot bolt are Nuovo Record because the titanium upper pivot was milled to the same spec, but without the layer of chrome it gave the derailleur some wobble, and the centered cage shifted better on straight block freewheels.

soulspinner
12-28-2013, 05:32 AM
I don't know who does the paint for him but its sweet...........