PDA

View Full Version : Force rear shift lever not indexing lowest gear

JimmyTango
12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Howdy,

I'm installing a force group and have arrived at the final dr cable install and set up.

Limit screws check,

Cable tension check,

All lubed and shifting nicely... But the shifter won't hold the dr in the lowest gear (largest cog).

It'll get there, but won't hold the gear and clicks itself down to the next cog as soon as I let go of the shifting paddle.

Am I missing something?

thunderworks
12-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Probably a cable tension problem. Try tightening your tension slightly.

Johnny P
12-26-2013, 02:39 PM
probably a cable tension problem. Try tightening your tension slightly.

+1

JimmyTango
12-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Probably a cable tension problem. Try tightening your tension slightly.

No, it isn't a dr thing... The cable tension is fine, like I said, the dr gets there just fine but the index in the shifter "slips". Is there a chance I somehow set it to 9 speed or something crazy that I've never heard of??

madcow
12-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Even though the low limit looks to be set right, back it out a little and try it, be careful of course not to over shift. With Sram there is a range for the limit and if you're on the tight side of that range it can prevent it from locking into gear.

It's also possible that you have the whole thing setup one detent off.

mtechnica
12-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Limit is probably set wrong on rd

regularguy412
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Mebbe a 1mm spacer on the bottom of the freehub to push the cassette slightly more outboard?

Mike in AR:beer:

JimmyTango
12-26-2013, 03:55 PM
The limit screws are fine. I can easily push the cage ever so slightly past the big cog.

Again, I'm sure it's the shifter... I'm just wondering if it is broken or there is some way to tinker with the shifters that I don't know about?

hockeybike
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Derailleur hanger bent outward somehow?

Hindmost
12-26-2013, 05:24 PM
It's also possible that you have the whole thing setup one detent off.

What is happening with shifting at the other end of the cassette?

JimmyTango
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
What is happening with shifting at the other end of the cassette?

It shifts normally at the other end. Smallest cog is the last shift and the limit is set with the cage even at the cog.

Black Dog
12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Lossen the shift limit screw a bit more and try again. It might seem like it is going far enough past the cog visually but it may not be enough to hold the gear. Also dial up the cable tension a bit.

thunderworks
12-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Try this . . . shift to your low gear (largest cog). Let it climb the cog, then fall back onto the next cog - just as you've described. Then using the barrel adjuster, see if increasing the tension will bring the derailleur back to the largest cog. If it does, then shift down the cassette to see if it still drops down the cassette and makes it into the smallest cog (high gear). It's worth a try. I've had similar problems with my SRAM Red stuff, and it's always been a cable tension issue.

JimmyTango
12-26-2013, 11:57 PM
It was the tension!!

You guys did it-- tension was too low. All good now.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Howdy,

I'm installing a force group and have arrived at the final dr cable install and set up.

Limit screws check,

Cable tension check,

All lubed and shifting nicely... But the shifter won't hold the dr in the lowest gear (largest cog).

It'll get there, but won't hold the gear and clicks itself down to the next cog as soon as I let go of the shifting paddle.

Am I missing something?

I'm guessing that the first 'click' isn't moving the RD to the next highest gear(next biggest cog) so you are 'off' one click...so with sram, the last click, moves the chain down not up the3 cogset.

thunderworks
12-27-2013, 09:43 AM
It was the tension!!

You guys did it-- tension was too low. All good now.

Glad it was a simple fix.