PDA

View Full Version : The Derailleur Derailed My Ride - Seeking Advise

jambee
12-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Ladies and Gents,

As you can see in the attached picture, there is a mean crack in the wheel of my Shimano Ultegra Derailleur. It spins just fine at the moment, but does not fill me with confidence when mounting the steel steed.

My travel bike, a beautiful Hunter/BreakAway/GravelTourer is meant to be taken everywhere. It has so far been on a tour in Northern Spain, all over Germany, in Israel and California. It gets around. As such it also gets knocked around a ton.

Its first incarnation involved a Rolhloff Speedhub which is now being serviced by Rohloff before heading to a second hand market. I did not like riding that way. So I replaced it with Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters and Ultegra Derailleur. The latter survived just under 1000 km.

Any suggestion on a derailleur that can take a beating, works with bar-end shifters (10 speed) and will give me at least 12-30 on the cassette (i.e. long cage)? I might even entertain SRAM options, but honestly finding SRAM parts in some locations is impossible whereas even a little shop in Tel Aviv (where I am at now) had replacement cogs for the Ultegra Derailleur.
Happy holidays and dazzle me with your ideas.

CNY rider
12-26-2013, 06:50 AM
I'd say you caught a bad break.
Go with Shimano again.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Ladies and Gents,

As you can see in the attached picture, there is a mean crack in the wheel of my Shimano Ultegra Derailleur. It spins just fine at the moment, but does not fill me with confidence when mounting the steel steed.

My travel bike, a beautiful Hunter/BreakAway/GravelTourer is meant to be taken everywhere. It has so far been on a tour in Northern Spain, all over Germany, in Israel and California. It gets around. As such it also gets knocked around a ton.

Its first incarnation involved a Rolhloff Speedhub which is now being serviced by Rohloff before heading to a second hand market. I did not like riding that way. So I replaced it with Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters and Ultegra Derailleur. The latter survived just under 1000 km.

Any suggestion on a derailleur that can take a beating, works with bar-end shifters (10 speed) and will give me at least 12-30 on the cassette (i.e. long cage)? I might even entertain SRAM options, but honestly finding SRAM parts in some locations is impossible whereas even a little shop in Tel Aviv (where I am at now) had replacement cogs for the Ultegra Derailleur.
Happy holidays and dazzle me with your ideas.

Why not just change the pulley? Tacx, shimano OE parts...like $20.

jambee
12-26-2013, 06:55 AM
That's the plan for now. It's just that they have replacement jockey wheel here for 245 NIS which is about 66 USD (pretty much the cost of the derailleur). So I have to ride it as it is until I get back to places that will sell replacement wheel for those $20 you mentioned.

My goal is just to entertain a derailleur that might be more robust. I'd imagine that mountain bike derailleurs are built to take a beating, but I believe that Shimano MTB parts will not work with road bar end shifters...

oldpotatoe
12-26-2013, 07:00 AM
That's the plan for now. It's just that they have replacement jockey wheel here for 245 NIS which is about 66 USD (pretty much the cost of the derailleur). So I have to ride it as it is until I get back to places that will sell replacement wheel for those $20 you mentioned.

My goal is just to entertain a derailleur that might be more robust. I'd imagine that mountain bike derailleurs are built to take a beating, but I believe that Shimano MTB parts will not work with road bar end shifters...

YGBSM...shimano 9s MTB rear ders work just fine..10s do not, if you stay in index or click shifting. no sram works, less reliability there anyway than shimano. BUT lotsa mailorder outfits with replacement, 11 tooth pulleys for way less than 245 NIS..bet they ship to Germany, if the LBS are charging that kinda $ for shimano pulleys. AND the pulleys are pretty much the same thruout the shimano rear der. range..same material. VERY unusual to have them crack, BTW.

jambee
12-26-2013, 07:03 AM
@oldpotatoe I have never seen a jockey wheel fail, but there is a first for everything :-) I'll get replacements and just change the wheel for now unless someone has ideas that are indestructible :)

Gummee
12-26-2013, 07:26 AM
@oldpotatoe I have never seen a jockey wheel fail, but there is a first for everything :-) I'll get replacements and just change the wheel for now unless someone has ideas that are indestructible :)

The AL pulleys are tougher, but they're also noisier, more finicky, and the bearings aren't as protected.

Me? I'd get another pulley and run em till they die.

M

AngryScientist
12-26-2013, 07:27 AM
cage looks to be in great shape, i'd get a new wheel and not give it another thought.

sitzmark
12-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Have Bullseye pulleys on my Suntour MTB Pro gear from years (and years) ago and they still spin like new. Had a few extra but never used them.

The high dollar pulleys being offered might be the ceramic bearing version. I recall paying $25USD or less for pulleys for my wife's Ultegra bikes. I run Sram and prices are similar except for ceramic bearing pulleys.

Hate to steer away from LBS, but if that's the pricing offered for standard pulley wheels, go online.

Nothing is "indestructible". ...just a matter of fate and time.

dave thompson
12-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Where are you? I've got a set of new Ultegra pulleys I can put in today's mail to you. Yours for the cost of postage.

Let me know. Click on my name to send me an e-mail.

oliver1850
12-26-2013, 01:15 PM
I have a new SRAM RD here with a cracked pulley. It's never been on a bike. I'd guess it's a fairly rare occurence with either brand. I would replace it with another Shimano, or aftermarket if you prefer. Carry a spare pair if it's going to worry you, but I doubt the next one will crack.

jambee
12-26-2013, 02:23 PM
You guys are awesome! This forum is awesome! Dave's offer is evidence!

Thanks so much for the tips.

FlashUNC
12-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Nothing is going to be completely bullet-proof, and Shimano makes about as bullet-proof of stuff as you're going to find. (And I say this as a total Campy snob.)

As others have said, just replace the pulley and move along with what you've got.

Ti Designs
12-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Ignore the crack, ride the bike.

AgilisMerlin
12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
bedazzled /

http://fairwheelbikes.com/images/kcnc_pulley_11t_gold.jpg

http://nyvelocity.com/files/u18/pulleys.jpg

http://www.sepedakita.com/en_newsimages/WMN_756.jpg

http://www.jensonusa.com/KCNC-Bike/KCNC-Ceramic-Derailleur-Pulley-Wheel

jambee
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM