PDA

View Full Version : Floor pump?

jpw
12-26-2013, 04:59 AM
i'm after a floor pump. nothing too k'ching, but something reliable and serviceable would be nice. i see lots of brands offer floor pumps, but i assume they are not all of equal quality. is there a clear winner out there? what features do i need to look for please?

p.s. are the pressure gauges reliable, or is it better to buy a pump without a gauge and then go get a separate hand gauge?

cheers, Jason.

crownjewelwl
12-26-2013, 05:04 AM
The lezyne pumps are nice. I did have a problem with the gauge. They sent me a new gauge nqa and I swapped it out in 5 minutes.

I would say in general you should always have a separate gauge. I have a topeak digital one that is pretty nifty. The ones that come mounted aren't terribly reliable .

My lbs swears by the Joe blow. Claims it put his kids through college!

tmf
12-26-2013, 05:42 AM
I have a Park floor pump that has been reliable over the years. It's not fancy, but does what it's supposed to do.

spdcyclist
12-26-2013, 05:46 AM
I have been very happy with my Lezyne. Very well made. Accurate gauge for most riders. I have a digital Topeak gauge but rarely use it.

CNY rider
12-26-2013, 05:47 AM
My Topeak works fine but the gauge isn't even remotely accurate.

pinkshogun
12-26-2013, 05:48 AM
i work on a lot of cheaper bikes with schrader valves and use a floor pump daily. i usually burn through a pump a year so the warranty at REI is essential for me. the last Topeak i had wouldnt let go of the valve

a month ago i bought this and so far im liking it a lot

http://www.rei.com/product/751436/serfas-tcpg-floor-pump

AngryScientist
12-26-2013, 05:52 AM
i've decided that it's perfectly OK to run a variety of pressures in my tires. worrying about the absolute accuracy of a pumps pressure gauge seems a little silly. generally, if im riding the same bike for a few days in a row, i give the tires the "squeeze test" and just ride without checking pressure at all. accurate instruments have their place, but since the choice of tire pressure is based mostly on how they feel riding anyway, repeatability is more important i think, and any pump gauge should have that covered pretty well.

just my thoughts on the matter.

oh, and i love lezyne pupms. i'm a total believer in screwing the pump head onto the valve stem, not pusing some rubber bushing over the stem and yanking it out.

rnhood
12-26-2013, 06:04 AM
I have a Specialized pump (Air Tool Comp) and its been bombproof. The 3" gauge allows for easy viewing while pumping....and its very accurate. Not the cheapest pump around though. I also have an older Nashbar pump that has held up well but the leverage and easy viewing of the Spec pump has spoiled me.

FlashUNC
12-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Lezyne all the way.

Really well made.

CNY rider
12-26-2013, 06:48 AM
i've decided that it's perfectly OK to run a variety of pressures in my tires. worrying about the absolute accuracy of a pumps pressure gauge seems a little silly. generally, if im riding the same bike for a few days in a row, i give the tires the "squeeze test" and just ride without checking pressure at all. accurate instruments have their place, but since the choice of tire pressure is based mostly on how they feel riding anyway, repeatability is more important i think, and any pump gauge should have that covered pretty well.

just my thoughts on the matter.

oh, and i love lezyne pupms. i'm a total believer in screwing the pump head onto the valve stem, not pusing some rubber bushing over the stem and yanking it out.

I agree with you completely.
That's why as long as the pump works I really don't care what the gauge says.
I go by the squeeze test too.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2013, 06:53 AM
i'm after a floor pump. nothing too k'ching, but something reliable and serviceable would be nice. i see lots of brands offer floor pumps, but i assume they are not all of equal quality. is there a clear winner out there? what features do i need to look for please?

p.s. are the pressure gauges reliable, or is it better to buy a pump without a gauge and then go get a separate hand gauge?

cheers, Jason.

There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...

classtimesailer
12-26-2013, 07:02 AM
There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...

Yep. Get the head with the little lever thingy.

sitzmark
12-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Shop owner that I ride with has a wide assortment of pumps - some well over $100. After messing with a "cheap" Specialized and Serfas pump I told him I'd pay whatever it took to get a reliable pump. Was thinking Lezyme. He handed me a Joe Blow. Around $50 IIRC.

I wasn't happy with the twin head and ordered the Smarthead kit that comes on the Joe Blow Pro. Repair parts are plentiful - I keep a couple of rebuild kits on hand - about $5/kit - and a check valve kit. Have replaced seals once in five years. Only takes a few minutes to disassemble and get back in business.

Doing it again I'd go with the Blow Pro for the Smarthead from the start. Otherwise completely happy.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Yep. Get the head with the little lever thingy.

Hirame and also Tanaka..from Sears, of all places..Brooks at Nordstrom's, Bike stuff at Sears..dogs and cats living together...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6448319709P?ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM6448319709&sid=IDx20131030xMPFSxCPA10

sales guy
12-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Silca or Lezyne. The Lezyne has been my go to for whatever reason. Very nice pump. $55 for a floor drive steel tube with wood handle. Works well. Wish the handle was wider though.

djg
12-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I've been very happy with the lezyne for a couple of years now. Solid, dependable. With any threaded valve, it's an easy, solid connection. Threadless takes either a little futzing or you can screw on a different head, but that's a non-issue for Vittoria and Challenge tubulars these days and, as far as I know, most clincher tubes.

gavingould
12-26-2013, 08:45 AM
i've been using a Performance house brand (Ascent?) for about 8 years. it's red and it works surprisingly well. stays in my car about half the year for race duty. i don't worry about the gauge accuracy - squeeze test.

when it's time for a new one i would probably go Lezyne.

ColonelJLloyd
12-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I have this Lezyne (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/lezyne-alloy-floor-drive-pump?CMP_SKU=LED0136&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&mr:trackingCode=FC122B7C-75B4-E111-805D-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=45815966985&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=65628275745&mkwid=sh8LBYDUI_dc%7Cpcrid%7C45815966985&origin=pla&gclid=CL7D_7CbzrsCFQISMwodCmkA_Q) and love it. I lost the quick connect thing soon after I got it and never bothered replacing it; don't want it.

bart998
12-26-2013, 09:37 AM
I've been really pleased with the Blackburn I've had for 15 years. The gauge works great. When the chuck wore out I upgraded to a classic Silca chuck.

JonSnow
12-26-2013, 10:00 AM
+1 for screw on heads of Leyzne pumps. The classic as mentioned is reliable and classy looking to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

giverdada
12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
we run the park ps-2 in our house. my dad has a joe blow.

when taking the park pump head off the valve, it ffffpsssssssssssss's like you wouldn't believe. this is a problem when leaving at 05:05 with two sleeping kids who you want to stay sleeping.

the joe blow is quiet, secure, and not aesthetically pleasing. it works very, very well. even has a release button if you've over-inflated a bit and want to bring it down. awesome.

both are good and tall, with the park being a bit taller i think, and this is great for the back. either way, i wish you luck with your find. pumps are cool.

n.

RFC
12-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Another vote for Joe Blow. I've been using the same one for two years. I returned three Topeak pumps because heads would wear out and not grip the presta valve.

thwart
12-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Lezyne.

I had an old one with a traditional flip chuck which died after 4 yrs of heavy use/abuse (washer wore out and wouldn't hold onto the valve with higher pressures). Instead of searching for a replacement washer I got lazy, took advantage of a one day super sale and bought another pump with the first version of their screw-on chuck. Worked very well.

Recently contacted Lezyne customer service about the dead pump and asked if they still carried parts for it… they sent me this instead, gratis. The pressure release button makes the screw-on chuck feature work much more easily… even in below zero F temps. And the rest of the pump feels like it's good for another 20 yrs. At least.

Now my garage looks a bit like a bike shop… two functioning pumps. :rolleyes:

Don49
12-26-2013, 12:26 PM
There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...That's church, yo. Had one for years with no thoughts of other pumps.

Ken Robb
12-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Topeak Joe Blow has been good for 7 years. I like the lock-on lever-action head that is Presta on one side and Schraeder on the other. When I needed a new washer on the Presta side after 5 years of use they sent me a whole new head. Then 2 weeks later they also sent a rebuild kit. I guess I'm good for the rest of my riding career. :banana:

I'm not sure gauge accuracy is as important as consistency. I experiment with different pressures for different wheel/tire combinations. Once I learn what I like I don't care much what the absolute pressure is as long as I can easily replicate it every time I inflate the tires. My max target shows as 95psi on my pump so there it's unlikely that I am close to max allowed psi on my 700x25 tires and I run less in my fatter 700x37 clinchers.

gomango
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Lezyne.

I had an old one with a traditional flip chuck which died after 4 yrs of heavy use/abuse (washer wore out and wouldn't hold onto the valve with higher pressures). Instead of searching for a replacement washer I got lazy, took advantage of a one day super sale and bought another pump with the first version of their screw-on chuck. Worked very well.

Recently contacted Lezyne customer service about the dead pump and asked if they still carried parts for it… they sent me this instead, gratis. The pressure release button makes the screw-on chuck feature work much more easily… even in below zero F temps. And the rest of the pump feels like it's good for another 20 yrs. At least.

Now my garage looks a bit like a bike shop… two functioning pumps. :rolleyes:

I hear you.

I need to send a memo out to my family.

"Please do not buy me another floor pump."

I am up to three Lezynes and a Silca.

Enough already! :)

zmudshark
12-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Another vote for Joe Blow. I've been using the same one for two years. I returned three Topeak pumps because heads would wear out and not grip the presta valve.
Joe Blow is a Topeak pump, so your post makes no sense.

The Joe Blow Pro(silver) is much better than the Joe Blow Sport(yellow), but they are both Topeak pumps. I have not tried the Joe Blow Sprint model, but the 'Smart Head' on the Pro works well.

Parts are available as well:
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pump-Replacement-Kit

Nothing beats a Silca, though.

bfd
12-26-2013, 04:37 PM
QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1473273]There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've had my old silca forever or at least since the late 80s! One reason I like it is that replacement parts are readily available! Even the "new" Silca has replacement parts!

There's even an "upgrade" urthene gasket:

http://www.efficientvelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/EVT_DAY_3_GASKET.jpg

I just ordered some and looking forward to trying it out! Good Luck! :banana::eek::butt::hello:

pdmtong
12-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Sold my silca - tire of shredding and replacing grommets
Not all the bikes have smooth stems

Lezyne works nice but on some tubes unscrewing the chuck Unscrews the core out of the valve body

My Blackburn air tower won't die and the two stage feature is essential fr pumping all the tires around here. Once you get multiple bikes and multiple family members with multiple bikes pumping becomes a chore

Maybe time for a compressor

Keith A
12-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Both my Joe Blow Pro and Sport models have been great pumps. My Zefal Husky was also a good pump, but the head left something to be desired as the rubber grommet would always wear out.

OtayBW
12-27-2013, 09:18 AM
There's even an "upgrade" urthene gasket:

http://www.efficientvelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/EVT_DAY_3_GASKET.jpg

I just ordered some and looking forward to trying it out! Good Luck! :banana::eek::butt::hello:
Interesting - is there a link for these?
Thx.

kayten
12-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I had the Joe Blows, very quick and reliable. After the seals gave way, I bought a lezyne. IMHO, the best pump ever. After I switched the head to a Hirame, it became even better....

thirdgenbird
12-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I love my older silca. It has the best head I've used. It is a small lever style unit. I wish they still made it. Unfortunately, it quit working very shortly after rebuild. I should tear back into it and see that's causing it.

The last few years I've been using a specialized air tool pro. The large base, gauge, and bleed valve are great. I really like that the bleed valve is on the handle rather than the head.

Seramount
12-27-2013, 10:19 AM
for snob appeal, I offer up my choice...

Nashbar Big Red Pump...bought it on sale for $19.99.

it's big and red and pumps up my tires.

has worked for 6 years with no issues.

technicolor
12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Interesting - is there a link for these?
Thx.
silca.cc

rounder
12-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Nother vote for Silca. Have had the thing for 20 years and it still works. Have replaced the gasket several times. The gauge seems reliable enough. But, connection to the nipple was bad. Broke lots of nails (bummed out mainly cause they were needed to pick guitar...badly). Air leaked around the nipple. Read the reviews on Paceline. Heard about the Hirame pumphead. Bought one. The thing works great. I was looking for another reason to keep the Silca. Happy so far.

gearguywb
12-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Lezyne. Have had several others but nothing like the quality of these.

fogrider
12-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I've always used a silca. Go with the super and you can rebuild it when parts wear out.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

r_mutt
12-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Joe Blow is a Topeak pump, so your post makes no sense.

The Joe Blow Pro(silver) is much better than the Joe Blow Sport(yellow), but they are both Topeak pumps. I have not tried the Joe Blow Sprint model, but the 'Smart Head' on the Pro works well.

Parts are available as well:

Nothing beats a Silca, though.

my joe blow pro was great for 4 years- almost 5. used it 5 times a week. compared to a new speciaized air tool comp, it's quite noisy on the release. not good at 7 am when you're trying to be subtle. this past fall, it blew it's seal where it connects to the pump. couldn't find the appropriate part to fix it so i binned it. the shop's recommendation (to my surprise) was any specialized pump. it's ugly, but it works great.

zmudshark
12-28-2013, 07:02 AM
my joe blow pro was great for 4 years- almost 5. used it 5 times a week. compared to a new speciaized air tool comp, it's quite noisy on the release. not good at 7 am when you're trying to be subtle. this past fall, it blew it's seal where it connects to the pump. couldn't find the appropriate part to fix it so i binned it. the shop's recommendation (to my surprise) was any specialized pump. it's ugly, but it works great.You can get complete rebuild parts from Topeak:

Ralph
12-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Topeak Joe Blow has been good for 7 years. I like the lock-on lever-action head that is Presta on one side and Schraeder on the other. When I needed a new washer on the Presta side after 5 years of use they sent me a whole new head. Then 2 weeks later they also sent a rebuild kit. I guess I'm good for the rest of my riding career. :banana:

I'm not sure gauge accuracy is as important as consistency. I experiment with different pressures for different wheel/tire combinations. Once I learn what I like I don't care much what the absolute pressure is as long as I can easily replicate it every time I inflate the tires. My max target shows as 95psi on my pump so there it's unlikely that I am close to max allowed psi on my 700x25 tires and I run less in my fatter 700x37 clinchers.

Me too. Not sure how accurate the guage is on my Topeak, but as long as it always reads the same, I'm OK. I know I usually like 90F 100 R from this pump, on a pump up, and don't mind riding them until they get 80-85 F and 90-95 R, so if that stays consistently accurate, or even consistently inaccurate, doesn't really matter. Checking pressure with a separate presta guage, which I have, would probably let air out. And how would you know a guage any more accurate than the pump?

r_mutt
12-28-2013, 07:43 AM
You can get complete rebuild parts from Topeak:

they didn't have what i needed- the seal from the hose to the pump body was leaking. i got a complete hose replacement with a new head, and tried to clamp that on but that didn't work.

jpw
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Me too. Not sure how accurate the guage is on my Topeak, but as long as it always reads the same, I'm OK. I know I usually like 90F 100 R from this pump, on a pump up, and don't mind riding them until they get 80-85 F and 90-95 R, so if that stays consistently accurate, or even consistently inaccurate, doesn't really matter. Checking pressure with a separate presta guage, which I have, would probably let air out. And how would you know a guage any more accurate than the pump?

yes, consistency over accuracy is a gauge i want. a thumb and finger squeeze will not do.

zmudshark
12-28-2013, 01:39 PM
they didn't have what i needed- the seal from the hose to the pump body was leaking. i got a complete hose replacement with a new head, and tried to clamp that on but that didn't work.When I emailed them, they came through, just like Park Tools does for stupid things I break.

Ozz
12-28-2013, 02:47 PM

I thought the same thing... I had (have) a Zefal Husky that I put a Silca head on and used it for nearly 20 yrs.

I got a Leyzyne for Xmas a couple years ago and I am a convert...great head design and smooth operation. Love it.

sg8357
12-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I have a WrenchForce from 6 years ago, the head lasted 2 years.
Bought a Hirame pump head to fix it, 4 years later, still on the original gasket.

steelbikerider
12-28-2013, 06:21 PM
I have a Silca pump that is now 34 years old and is still used almost daily. Why get something else? A new head washer every 2-3 years, a new leather plunger and hose about 10 years ago. I like the old style head so much I put one a Sears Craftsman inflator that goes even higher psi than a Silca pump but I still prefer the hand pump.

merlincustom1
12-28-2013, 07:22 PM
The Lezyne plastic push on chuck is worthless. Otherwise, great pump.

gearguywb
12-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Where can you find the Hirame pump heads….or is there another brand that you guys would recommend for my Lezyne?

thwart
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Where can you find the Hirame pump heads….or is there another brand that you guys would recommend for my Lezyne?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697873068&stc=1&d=1388078645

This works very, very well (see post on 1st page of this thread), although any screw-on chuck will take 60 seconds longer than a traditional lever/pinch chuck to top off tires before your ride… ;)

About $13.

I think the Hirame is a bit more…

wasfast
12-29-2013, 09:56 AM
The KCNC pump head looks interesting and price is decent. It appears to be a variant of the Hirame. Fairwheel doesn't have any stock and I've not gone looking elsewhere.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-pump-head-p-2000.html

Saw this version on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tanaka-QR-Presta-Valve-Pump-Head-modeled-on-the-Hirame-Pump-Head-fits-Silca/331092744232?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D3742822078695258154%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D1906160 85336%26

technicolor
12-29-2013, 01:47 PM
You can get the Hirame for $58 here (http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=665). These guys are in Japan and I think they charge $17 for shipping to the US. Still a hit, but not terrible.

jpw
12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
You can get the Hirame for $58 here (http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=665). These guys are in Japan and I think they charge $17 for shipping to the US. Still a hit, but not terrible.

how does it attach to the valve, with a thread or a rubber ring?

Shaun
12-30-2013, 10:35 PM

cheers, Jason.The Silca Track pump Rules....Fully re-buildable and it inflates both road and mountain tires..BUT..Please purchase a separate gauge..G.H.Maiser...Zefal...Planet bike,,for accuracy..the Maiser gauge is my favorite...Accuracy to +2-3%

oldpotatoe
12-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Hirame from japan..no more distributors in the US, AFAIK.

Tanaka also..essentially the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141120615429?lpid=82