PDA

View Full Version : Does this forum ever change your mind? OT?

CaptStash
12-24-2013, 04:10 PM
So after reading and posting on the Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas thread, I have found that it has changed mind a bit. Since I don't really celebrate Christmas, I always pretty much just said Happy Holidays, because that was how I saw the season applying to me. Since reading the thread though, I realized that many people prefer Merry Christmas. Who am I to judge.

Do the forum really changed my mind. Has that sort of thing happened to anyone else here?

CaptStash....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

malcolm
12-24-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm one that likes the OT threads. There is always someone here that knows much more about cycling than I do, but I can have an opinion on OT threads.

To answer the question, yes I've had my viewpoint swayed more than once here. There are some very bright articulate folks that hang out here.

thegunner
12-24-2013, 04:33 PM
bike related - I used to be the kid who had carbon-lust for all the latest and greatest offerings from Cervelo, Cannondale, Scott...

then I was shown Firefly, Moots, Vanilla, Sachs, Crumpton, David Kirk etc. etc.

I now own a Moots and very much would like to add a steel Speedvagen cross to my stable.

Surely not what you were after, but this forum changed my views on what a 'great bike' are.

cash05458
12-24-2013, 04:38 PM
absolutely the forum has changed my mind about many things...for sure...good and smart folks here...I am not one to say these sorta things but I really appreciate this place...hope everyone has a good year!

Don49
12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
yes I've had my viewpoint swayed more than once here. There are some very bright articulate folks that hang out here.That pretty well sums it up for me too. I've had my consciousness raised in a number of areas from the discussions here. Certainly bike stuff, but also medical, piercings, Tequila, ethics, religion. Mostly I've learned from reading the posts but not contributing so much. And that's the beauty of discourse among smart people on any topic, you always learn.

markie
12-24-2013, 04:47 PM
The forum changed my mind about internet forums!

This place is normally safe and polite compared to the rest of the WWW. I guess I like it here! Happy whatever makes you happy!

2LeftCleats
12-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Great diversity of opinion on this forum, and while I have my strong beliefs on certain subjects, I like hearing what others think. When someone poses a well-reasoned opposing argument, I'm forced to loosen my grip a little.

While not part of the OP's query, this forum is like going to Wikipedia; the knowledge base is so wide and deep.

wooly
12-24-2013, 04:58 PM
The forum changed my mind that I could actually meet great people and become friends with folks met on Al Gore's internet.

Seramount
12-24-2013, 06:06 PM
changed my 'mind' or changed my 'opinion'...?

my opinions have been altered by cogent discussions on some topics...things like bar tape, tires, tequilas...but, I've ignored the conventional wisdom here on some others...for example, wearing black kit.

but, for deeper, more philosophical topics such as politics, religion, nah, not really. I've analyzed a fair amount data on those and feel fairly comfortable in my beliefs.

haven't read anything on this forum that would change my mind on how I feel about those issues.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-24-2013, 06:17 PM
No.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-24-2013, 06:18 PM
After further reflection . . . . Yes.

crownjewelwl
12-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm embarrassed to ride carbon clinchers while wearing rapha!

parco
12-24-2013, 07:07 PM
The short answer is Yes. I'm always interested in what others have to say. The internet has been so good for Word of Mouth type communication. Where as before I was pretty much limited to the group of people I cycled with, now I can be in touch with a good part of the world.

Climb01742
12-24-2013, 07:09 PM
There are very smart, articulate people here. And they've definitely widened perspectives for me. Of course on occasion they've confirmed opinions too.;)

djg
12-24-2013, 07:24 PM
So after reading and posting on the Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas thread, I have found that it has changed mind a bit. Since I don't really celebrate Christmas, I always pretty much just said Happy Holidays, because that was how I saw the season applying to me. Since reading the thread though, I realized that many people prefer Merry Christmas. Who am I to judge.

Do the forum really changed my mind. Has that sort of thing happened to anyone else here?

CaptStash….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Well, I think maybe the forum has changed my mind, or help form it, about this or that bike gear question. Maybe a good band tip here or there. Changed my mind on a social issue? Not that I recall, but never say never. I mean, on things that matter -- lots of inputs, right?

But go with your gut on this, I reckon.

eddief
12-24-2013, 07:40 PM
made me think about the old saying, "don't poop where you eat."

Tony
12-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes! Being away from cycling for a while and now back into it this forum has taught me much and has changed my mind on several things. There is much to learn here from so many folks! I like this place a lot!
Thanks!

mike p
12-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes it has on occasion. Some very intelligent folks on the forum. I particularly appreciate when someone can make a well reasoned articulate argument without becoming nasty or snarky on a political OT thread. Thats not always easy to do and I appreciate it.

Mike

Louis
12-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes on some bike-related stuff, and maybe other miscellany, but none that I can recall on any of the "big" social / political issues that tend to generate quite a bit of heat, but little light.

parris
12-24-2013, 09:38 PM
For me the forum has been a very good place to help get up to speed on things after having been away from the bike for close to 20 years. When I was a shop rat in my early 20's I had some VERY strong opinions. When I started to ride again I was much more open to things but I had no reliable baseline to know if a fair amount of what I was looking at was total crap or not until I found this forum.

One of the things that doesn't seem to have changed much are geo on road frames. Top tubes generally have some amount of slope depending on model but in looking at geometry charts from today compared to in the past they're pretty much the same with a fewer exceptions than not.

Ti Designs
12-25-2013, 02:55 PM
No.

Keith A
12-25-2013, 10:18 PM
No.Yes :)

Ti Designs
12-25-2013, 11:55 PM
yes :)

sjbraun
12-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Not changed my mind in the sense that I think about any one topic differently, but it has opened my mind to new knowledge about bicycles.
Hence, I now own a Pegoretti, a Look 585 and have a Hampsten coming soon.
I learned about all of these bikes through this forum.

Thanks for the info, ladies and gents.

-Steve

oldpotatoe
12-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Certainly a treasure trove of knowledge, lots, OT, that I have gotten.

Kinda a filter, when the interweb is just raw info, a lot not accurate at all.

Hasn't changed my opinion on much bike stuff tho....100 grams saved still doesn't mean much(nothing)...type thing.

But the depth of knowledge, from MDs to electricians, that is amazing...

Mikej
12-27-2013, 07:48 AM
No I still like slopers and plenty of seat post.

bcroslin
12-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Does this forum ever change your mind? OT?

Only when I want it to.

bluesea
12-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Not yet.

http://imageshack.com/a/img30/9039/glock19.png

CunegoFan
12-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I use the internet as God intended: To reinforce existing biases.

:)

eippo1
12-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Hasn't really changed my mind, but did make me more open to trying things Campy again. Still love the Red on my Ti bike tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Germany_chris
12-28-2013, 05:09 AM
On bike stuff, sure and reaffirmed a few things. On OT stuff, no it does tend to reinforce why I don't like particular things though.