PDA

View Full Version : forum members who were a mensch this year (i'll start)

Climb01742
12-24-2013, 10:12 AM
a mensch is someone of high character and good qualities, admirable, in other words, a dude who would do you a solid. or a dudette, for that matter.

while our little sandbox here can, at moments, get contentious, that's the exception, i think, not the rule.

there are very good people here, willing to go out of their way to help. feels like the season to give thanks and give these folks a shout out.

who on the forum helped you this year?

i'll start. for me it was soulspinner. i'm researching used cars hoping to find a good one to buy. volvo is near the top of my list. soulspinner works at a volvo dealership. he's busy at work, yet over the last few weeks, he's always taken the time to answer my many questions. he even got info about specific cars for me. and above and beyond, he asked a friend of his who knows acuras a question for me.

his insights and knowledge have really helped me. he did it out of kindness. he's a mensch. thanks a lot, soulspinner. folks like you make this place what it is.

was there someone like this for you here this year?

peace everyone.

Peter P.
12-24-2013, 11:33 AM
I nominate Veloo for mensch-hood.

I posted on the forum looking for seemingly unavailable brake hoods for my 9 speed STI levers. Not only did he have a pair to offer, he sought out some from a local bike shop.

He shipped them out from Canada, and was nice enough to forewarn me there might be surcharges for the cross-border shipment to the U.S.

Yes, there are many good people on this forum and for that I'm thankful.

gmcampy
12-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Oldpotatoe has helped me many times, but there are MANY that have also got me answere to the questions I asked... Thanks for this forum!!!!!

Happy Holidays, Glenn

vav
12-24-2013, 11:56 AM
:hello: Mike aka "Pinkshogun" and William. :hello:

rwsaunders
12-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I can't narrow it to one person as I've got my own all star team in mind....my go to guys for information and support.

Dave Thompson
Grant
Thwart
Jack Brunk
William
Keevhon
Xjoex
Sailorboy

Three that spent some time here and are over at VSalon for the most part...

Fixednwinter
TooTall
DarrenCT

Thanks folks and to the lunatic fringe in general who roam these hallowed portals...:banana:

Climb01742
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
rwsaunders, thanks for reminding me of another mensch who's helped me many times, jack brunk. jack is, indeed, good people.

eddief
12-24-2013, 12:42 PM
the first forum popularity contest in 13 years. if only i'd have known this was coming...i would have done more political threads.

Dave Thompson wins Miss Congeniality.
Dave Kirk wins the Douglas Brooks Medal of Honor.

Marz
12-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Oldpotatoe has helped me many times, but there are MANY that have also got me answere to the questions I asked... Thanks for this forum!!!!!

Happy Holidays, Glenn

Absolutely!

cash05458
12-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Chefrider really went outta his way to do something nice for me...Anthony...solid and good guy!

Peter Vecchio...but that is most likely a given to most reading this. Thanks for answering all my stupid questions and fine work Pete!

Texbike...for helping bring that Mondonico into the stable this year!

so many good folks on this forum really...

soulspinner
12-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Thanks Climb, just glad to help when I can.

For me, stripped Campy TORX bolts and TPetsch volunteers to send me two for dirt and include shipping on two bolts. Keeps me informed up to the minute about a cheap part to save this guy some coin (tuition kills)........ There are a lot of menches here. Thanks again Thomas.

gomango
12-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Thirdgenbird/Casey for doing a superb build on my Tommasini Super Prestige. He helped source just the right bits to put it over the top!

This year he is doing it all over again and building my Merckx Alu Cross. His builds are crazy nice and this one is shaping up to be a functional, classy off road machine.

Thanks Casey!

weisan
12-25-2013, 05:18 AM
Most appropriate thread this time of the year, thanks Climb-pal.

I have received numerous help from countless pals here over the years, at the risk of missing so many by singling just one or two...special mention goes to

roguedog has gone above and beyond to help me with my job search by reviewing my resume, forwarding contacts, notifying job links. The search is far from over, I still haven't land a job, but the help I have received from roguedog-pal is like the chinese proverb: 雪里送炭 someone delivering coals during winter, warmed my heart, kept me alive, gave me the hope that I desperately needed at this time. So, thank you dear pal.

Fixed
12-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Too many to name everybody here has been very kind and giving to me in my return to cycling . I would like to say thanks and how much you guys mean to me .
Cheers to all
This place rocks :)

merckx
12-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Old Potato

Cheers!

thirdgenbird
12-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Thirdgenbird/Casey for doing a superb build on my Tommasini Super Prestige. He helped source just the right bits to put it over the top!

This year he is doing it all over again and building my Merckx Alu Cross. His builds are crazy nice and this one is shaping up to be a functional, classy off road machine.

Thanks Casey!

Haha, I was going to nominate you. Putting bikes together for you has fed my appetite and prevented me from building bikes I'd don't need :)

This reminds me that I need to get an order list for the alu cross. I will be in toch shortly!

thwart
12-25-2013, 10:50 AM
The level of humanity at this place is generally so high that anyone who's not a mensch stands out...

Veloo
12-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I nominate Veloo for mensch-hood.

I posted on the forum looking for seemingly unavailable brake hoods for my 9 speed STI levers. Not only did he have a pair to offer, he sought out some from a local bike shop.

He shipped them out from Canada, and was nice enough to forewarn me there might be surcharges for the cross-border shipment to the U.S.

Yes, there are many good people on this forum and for that I'm thankful.

Thanks Peter P.
I was happy to help you avoid the same pain I went through. As a newbie to this forum, I noticed right away how helpful everyone was. Thanks to Brian Cdn for getting me onto here. I'm on other forums and Facebook but this community is in it's own class.

WayneJ gave me deal on the elusive brown Aliante and I am grateful for that.

So many of you guided me through my conversion to Campy a few months ago - thanks very much for the advice.

Looking forward to more interesting discussions in 2014.

axel23
12-25-2013, 02:39 PM
... I'll have to go with TexBike. Mike is always there when I need the odd piece of advice and the even odder component ("wait, I've got one of those!").

And Lou Deeter, for his appreciation of Italian racing frames and overall knowledge and decency.

Ti Designs
12-25-2013, 02:44 PM
The level of humanity at this place is generally so high that anyone who's not a mensch stands out...

I wanted to make it into this thread in the worst way - and I have!!!

thegunner
12-25-2013, 03:20 PM
I wanted to make it into this thread in the worst way - and I have!!!

you know - your posts about fluid pedaling stand out in my mind for some reason. If for nothing else, you've made me consider what it means to be a better cyclist, and for that I consider you a mensch.