PDA

View Full Version : Vineyard cruising in December

velotel
12-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Weather here in the french Alps has been crazy. Early in the month I rode Alpe d’Huez with sub-zero temps in the shade but in the sun during the climb I was in a short sleeves, no gloves, no hat. Followed by a descent into the freezer. Since then it’s been warm and mostly sunny. Like warm enough that we’ve been eating lunch outside at the house. The house gets hit big time by the sun plus there’s been a bit of a temperature inversion with it warmer at altitude than in the valley. Absolutely delicious weather.

Monday afternoon late drove to Chambéry to give a bottle of wine to someone. Took my bike for a quick spin in the vineyards. Don’t know why but I enjoy riding through vineyards. Of which there are a lot in valleys between Chambéry, Grenoble, and Albertville. And more every year. Seems the imaginary climate warming has been pushing wine production north. Savoie wines used to be barely worth drinking according to wine snobs but with this non-existent climate warming Savoie has been turning out some nice wines, particularly a white from around the village of Chignin which is where I thought I’d ride. That’s the sunny side of the valley so the idea was some nice cruising in the sun through the vineyards.

Naturally didn’t work out like that. By the time I stopped working, put away the tools, cleaned up my mess, etc., etc., I was a racing the setting sun. The sun won. Oh well, another time. Rode anyway. Small roads twisting up through the vineyards growing on steep slopes. Unlike the swiss, the savoyards didn’t bother terracing the hillsides. Not steep enough I guess. Climbed up into a small valley where there’s a classic set of S-turn switchbacks, round, smooth, and flowing from turn to turn. It’s the road I ride down from the Col de Marocaz when I do the short loop version. Fun downhill, especially those switchbacks.

Got to the intersection where the road to Marocaz turns off. Too late for that, went straight instead on a road I didn’t know just to see where it went. Further up the hill, over the top, then down to Chambéry. The road that is. I just went to the top, turned around, rode back down in the dusk. Short ride but still managed around 450 meters of up, around 1500 ft. Getting out, feeling the air streaming over me, smelling the earth, that was good, even if brief. Like I said, crazy weather, almost end of the year and I’m cruising on the bike like it’s still autumn. And I’m definitely not complaining. So far this month I think I’ve been averaging at least 4 and maybe close to 5 rides a week. All short with the exception of Alpe d’Huez, just enough to keep me sane. Gotta love it.

A few shots from the vineyards. Nothing special.

choke
12-25-2013, 10:48 AM
You have such a variety of terrain to choose from...it must be nice to live in paradise. If it's anything like here this time of year, once the sun gets low on the horizon it starts to cool rapidly.

velotel
12-26-2013, 12:49 AM
You have such a variety of terrain to choose from...it must be nice to live in paradise. If it's anything like here this time of year, once the sun gets low on the horizon it starts to cool rapidly.
Yep, it is nice. The variety of terrain really is extraordinary, and with a bit of driving even more extraordinary. I mean the Med is only about 3 hours away, Italy less than that, Switzerland an hour and a half.
Cheers and happy holidays

soulspinner
12-26-2013, 08:24 AM
wow. luv to cycle through the vinyards in western ny but not quite the same:bike:

Mr. Pink
12-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Can you find a way to bike all winter?

William
12-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Beautiful! Even in Winter I wish I could ride some of those roads with you big guy!

I've wheeled through some vineyards in the Willamette Valley, Cascades on one side, Coast range on the other....very beautiful.

William

velotel
12-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Can you find a way to bike all winter?
I think the only time I missed a week without riding in the last 3 years or so was this summer when I broke a toe and ended up having to go 8 or 9 days without riding. Otherwise I normally ride at least a couple of times every week throughout the winter. But not always on the plateau where I live. I'll drive down into the valley to ride when the roads are too icy here. Otherwise riding all winter in France is easy, assuming you've got the clothing.

Beautiful! Even in Winter I wish I could ride some of those roads with you big guy!
Big! Not me, I saw how big you and a bunch of the others are in a thread recently. We're talking some big lads on this forum and you're right up there. Me, I was always just under 6 ft and I suppose I've shrunk some since they say we do that with age.
Anyway, you would like the riding here even in the winter. But maybe not yesterday while it was snowing hard. Got about 50cm. And today sunshine.
Cheers