PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on using Moots RSL fork on Moots Compact frame

Mattbotak
12-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Looking into forks for a Moots Compact frame. Have an opportunity to get a Moots RSL fork for a reasonable price. Anyone know if the Moots RSL fork will be fine on a Moots Compact frame? Thanks, Matthew

pdmtong
12-23-2013, 11:13 PM
see my pm

false_Aest
12-23-2013, 11:34 PM
You know who would be good to ask?

.... Ben Serotta.

beeatnik
12-23-2013, 11:46 PM
You can easily find the necessary rake info on the Moots site.

As for it being the right fork, IMO, if you want to change the ride characteristics of the Compact for the worst, it's the perfect fork.

fuzzalow
12-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Um, sounds like there is something less than admired about the RSL fork. What's the scuttlebutt on this puppy? Or is it a dog?

oldpotatoe
12-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Um, sounds like there is something less than admired about the RSL fork. What's the scuttlebutt on this puppy? Or is it a dog?

Not at all...if the rake is the same as the one spec'ed for the compact, I doubt you could tell the difference in ride quality. Mostly longer rake(I think 45 for a lot of sizes) on the RSL and it looks different.

happycampyer
12-24-2013, 08:45 AM
When the RSL was first introduced, it came with an Alpha-Q GS-40 fork, which is a very stiff fork—stiffer than the GS-10, which was Alpha-Q's "classic" road fork. When True Temper/Alpha-Q went under, Moots ended up having forks made for them to their specs. The current RSL fork is very similar to the GS-40 and the standard Moots fork is similar to the GS-10 (although they both take an expander plug and not a glue-in insert).

If you like the feeling of a really stiff fork, you'll like the RSL fork. The RSL is a stiffer frame than the Compact, and Moots wanted to match a stiff fork to the frame. It's probably not as stiff as the 1.125—1.5" tapered Enve fork, which became an option on the RSL, but that's the idea. As OP notes, it looks different, too. In addition to jutting forward at the crown, when you look at the fork legs up close they are almost triangular in shape.

fuzzalow
12-25-2013, 07:26 AM
When the RSL was first introduced, it came with an Alpha-Q GS-40 fork, which is a very stiff fork—stiffer than the GS-20, which was Alpha-Q's "classic" road fork. When True Temper/Alpha-Q went under, Moots ended up having forks made for them to their specs. The current RSL fork is very similar to the GS-40 and the standard Moots fork is similar to the GS-20 (although they both take an expander plug and not a glue-in insert).

If you like the feeling of a really stiff fork, you'll like the RSL fork. The RSL is a stiffer frame than the Compact, and Moots wanted to match a stiff fork to the frame. It's probably not as stiff as the 1.125—1.5" tapered Enve fork, which became an option on the RSL, but that's the idea. As OP notes, it looks different, too. In addition to jutting forward at the crown, when you look at the fork legs up close they are almost triangular in shape.

Thanks for a cogent synopsis on this.

As for it being the right fork, IMO, if you want to change the ride characteristics of the Compact for the worst, it's the perfect fork.

If it boils down to a matter of mismatched stiffness for a RSL fork on a Compact frame, I don't know if that automatically makes it detrimental to the ride characteristics of a Compact. It'll certainly change the feel. I have not ridden a bike with a mismatched fork rake from original "design spec" either and don't know that I could tell or feel a difference in +\- 5mm of rake without A/B testing bikes mismatched only in rake. I'd guess that a rider adjusts for the different turn-in and steering characteristics almost imperceptibly after riding it for a very short time. As long as there is some trail left in the geometry and the rider allows the bike to run while not circumventing the inherent stability of the front end geometry, it should still work fine. Oh well, idle speculation for the winter-bound Northern Hemisphericals.

I think anyone who had ridden any gas pipe bike from the bike boom era and transitioned to the liveliness of a Reynolds 531 bike has absolutely no illusion of overriding stiffness as a coveted frame characteristic.

cmg
12-25-2013, 01:31 PM
size of frame? steerer tube angle? what is the rake on the fork now? if it's a 43mm rake now, a 50mm will make it slightly twitcher. if it's a 50mm now a 43mm will slow down the steering.

DRietz
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
if it's a 43mm rake now, a 50mm will make it slightly twitcher. if it's a 50mm now a 43mm will slow down the steering.

Uh, I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards.

A little too much eggnog, maybe? ;)

christian
12-25-2013, 02:36 PM
No, he's got it right. Holding HTA constant and ignoring the effects of wheelbase, less rake means more trail and more stability. More rake is less trail and less stability.

DRietz
12-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah, that would make sense.

I guess I had too much eggnog!

Mattbotak
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback. The deal on the Moots Compact fell through. Just purchased a Moots Psycho X bike which I am hoping to use as an all-round ride. Cannot wait to try out.