PDA

View Full Version : what's your best cycling related memory?

Climb01742
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
riding at twilight in summer. the warmth, the fragrances, the soft light, the silent empty roads, the smooth asphalt, the twirl of the chain, the muscles loose, a firefly over a field, enough light left not to rush, and of course the rhythm, the rhythm, the feeling you could ride forever, and a memory inside a memory, remembering riding in summer as a kid, and the freedom your bike gave you then, and now gives you again as a semi-grown-up.

Fixed
01-23-2006, 02:25 PM
my son winning his first race .and riding with him in utah cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
01-23-2006, 02:41 PM
poppin a badass evil-k jump over some garbage cans in a vacant lot

learning how to stand on the top tube and balance while bombing down the steep hill we lived on -- doof's momma said she would kill him if she ever saw him "pull a stunt like that again"

he did

she didn't

(sucker)

e-RICHIE
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
winning sunapee.
72 miles.
4 man break last 22 miles.
i effin cried.

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
my first table top that I landed

the memory still gives me a woody

Jason

e-RICHIE
01-23-2006, 03:01 PM
the memory still give me a woody
Jason

was there a particular brand used on yours?

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
was there a particular brand used on yours?

OF????

tabletop-

memory-

bike-

woody-

Jason

dbrk
01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Chasing down the Cinzano team and having one of their riders stuff his pump in my wheel...

Uhhh...no. I guess that happened in a movie. All my best memories have happened to other people or, as in this case, to fictional people.

On a more serious note, I guess it was chasing down a Cinzano truck on a highway riding on my Masi in the small chainring. No...no...wait. Oh, never mind.

dbrk

p.s. The Serotta Forum folks visit at our Tour of the Finger Lakes was just wonderful. I think it was Keith and Jason who chased down the Cinzano truck...Dennis had long passed it, with Russ right next to him.

Chief
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Getting my butt kicked at the Nationals last year! :crap:

Keith A
01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I must say that two of my most fondest (non-racing) cycling memories have been with our esteemed dbrk. We had the chance to visit with him and his family in July '04 and cruising around with him in his backyard was so enjoyable that I had to come back for the TdFL of that year. His warmth, hospitality and generosity were humbling. On top of that, the rolling hills, the uncrowded roads, the farm houses, the corn fields, pleasant temperatures and of course THE basement have certainly placed these cycling memories on top.

The TdFL was also just wonderful...the companionship of those we have got to know on this forum, the outstanding food and listening to DK talk about building bikes were all fantastic.

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I must say that two of my most fondest (non-racing) cycling memories have been with our esteemed dbrk. We had the chance to visit with him and his family in July '04 and cruising around with him in his backyard was so enjoyable that I had to come back for the TdFL of that year. His warmth, hospitality and generosity were humbling. On top of that, the rolling hills, the uncrowded roads, the farm houses, the corn fields, pleasant temperatures and of course THE basement have certainly placed these cycling memories on top.

The TdFL was also just wonderful...the companionship of those we have got to know on this forum, the outstanding food and listening to DK talk about building bikes were all fantastic.

yes- douglas has the best Kool-Aid!!!!

Jason

slowgoing
01-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Saving up for, buying and riding home my first road bike when I was 14. My parents had banned me from owning bikes for what turned out to be five years after I totalled two spyder type bikes when I was nine, each within a day of purchase, and each resulting in a broken arm.

Spinner
01-23-2006, 03:35 PM
too many to count, beginning with rides as a kid and ending with my last ride, a 28-mile spin on 01.01.06

Keith A
01-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Slowgoing just triggered another wonderful cycling memory. I must have been about 11 or 12 at the time and when we got up Christmas morning, there were two shinny new orange Schwinn Varsity's sitting by the tree for my younger brother and myself. These bikes opened up what seemed to be the whole world at that time. We could ride all over the place and back then we didn't have the worries of today's society, so as soon as we got home from school we were off to explore the world. This became my transportation to school until HS came along and I left my orange machine for the motorized type of transportation.

During those "wonder years" I bet I had that Schwinn catalog memorized and could tell you all the details of the various models at that time. And I attribute this to the beginning of my enjoyment and fascination with cycling.

Fixed
01-23-2006, 03:40 PM
riding at twilight in summer. the warmth, the fragrances, the soft light, the silent empty roads, the smooth asphalt, the twirl of the chain, the muscles loose, a firefly over a field, enough light left not to rush, and of course the rhythm, the rhythm, the feeling you could ride forever, and a memory inside a memory, remembering riding in summer as a kid, and the freedom your bike gave you then, and now gives you again as a semi-grown-up.
bro that is a great picture ..nice cheers :beer:

Ray
01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
My favorite cycling memory is almost always my last ride. Or at least my last good ride, which is most of them, which at the moment was yesterday's 45 mile club cruise. Hopefully I'll forget about that one tomorrow because it will be replaced by tomorrow's fine ride to ???.

Of course, certain tours, rides with my daughter, childhood memories, etc still rattle around in here somewhere. But they're secondary to my last good one which is always soon to be replaced.

-Ray

Grant McLean
01-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Riding in the redwoods of the bay area in Northern California
ranks high on the list. The sights, the smells, the suffering on
those climbs. Good times.

Other than that, ask me after my next ride,
would be my smarty pants answer. Hopefully going to pick up
a Richard Sachs from the factory outlet will be pleasing too.

-g

Kevan
01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
A pal had insisted that I had to attend the “Bloomin’ Metric” in nearby Westport CT, held in May. As I approached the commuter parking lot, bike on rack, goose bumps developed as I saw this huge collection of cool road bikes. I was part of the scene.

Also, attending the Boston to New York City AIDS’ ride was terrific fun. My nephew and I had a blast. Our luck, we were at the end of a 3,000 cyclist peleton at the start of the ride (We thought we were out front). The organizers were extremely strict about riding protocol, so we must of barked out nearly 2500 times “On your left!” until by lunchtime that day we had finally gotten clear of the slower crowd. By the end of the day we had established a pack of about 6 riders who stuck together through the rest of the weekend. Traveling with 6 meant we didn’t need to yell, “On your left!!!” so often. We rolled into the campsites early enough that we never waited in line for showers or meals. After we had our fill we’d return to the camp entrance and cheer on the folks that were just rolling in 3 hours later. Those folks faced the lines and the darkness.

93legendti
01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Riding in Tuscany/Umbria with my wife in 2001.

znfdl
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Finishing my second Death Valley Double Century at Sunset, which the sunset consisted of the valley exploding in a sea of red, then purple grey. No I did not eat any Peyote on the ride.

YO!!!
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
As a teenager;riding in western Pennsylvania farm country. One particular ride on dirt roads included a steep descent and a 90 degree left turn with a modest incline. At this intersection lived a collie that would wait for me everyday and chase me for about 1/8 mile. I would be pedaling furiously to keep just ahead of his snapping jaws.

One day I was driving my car by the farm and decided to stop. I introduced myself to the farmer and a bit later his collie arrived. The dog was a real teddy bear.

The next day on my ride; he was the same old snapping and snarling dog. I think he enjoyed the chase and so did I.

Don
01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Best cycling memory is riding with my wife on her new CIII the first time out after chemotherapy, a lumpectomy and radiation. The smile on her face trumps all other recollections!

MartyE
01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I think one of my best memories or the one that sticks in my
mind the most is finishing my first Hotter n' Hell Hundred.

everything else is just gravy.

marty

David Kirk
01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Winning the coveted Triple ( 20", Open [won on a 26" cruiser], and Cruiser) at the Florida State BMX Championships. That's a lot of races in one day. As I recall it was 14 motos and 3 mains in one day. There was no way anyone else was going to win anything on that day. It was all mine.

Dave

saab2000
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Dropping the group on the big hill in a century I rode in '89. It wasn't a sanctioned 'race' per se, but it was at least as competitive as anything I ever rode. I remember very distinctly hearing a rider's supporter at the top of the hill say, "holy sh**...) as I went over in the 42x19 and the other wankers spun up in their 23s. pansies. caught a leader and drug him to the finish. He beat me in the sprint.

Making the second last selection in a regional championship in the US here and being spun out in the 12, with a big gap between me and the wankers who didn't make it. Got top 10.

Riding next to Eddy Plankaert in 1991 in Knokke on Heist, or something like that.

Finishing the little circuit race in Einsiedeln, Schwyz in 1995, after having sucked for a couple years. Amateurs are fast in Switzerland. It is the only flat race I know of in Switzerland.

Riding from Brussels to Bad Muenstereifel, Germany via Aachen alone in 1991 in a pouring rain the whole effin' way to see the girl I loved.

Riding around Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin.

Riding west of Madison, Wisconsin towards Barneveld and Blue Mound State Park for about 100 miles+ and having that good tired feeling in the legs.

Finding a training partner who is neither stronger nor weaker than myself. Has happened 2 times in 20 years of riding. We could push each other perfectly.

Being able to race cars from stoplight to stoplight and not losing.

Getting droppped by a friend (who is now embroiled in the big Museeuw scandal in Belgium) while riding over the Hulftegg in Kanton Thurgau in Switzerland as he shifted, impossibly, to his big ring and just rode away. Yeah, this sucked, but he was one of the top 2 most talented riders I ever rode with. He was in the top 5 in the Settimana Bergamasca with the then-unkown Pantani and Armstrong when he crashed out throught a store window in Italy. This whole story is not a good memory by itself, but the fact that I got to ride with real talents like this one was a real pleasure. Sometimes getting dropped is not bad, if you know in your own heart that you could not, no matter what, go faster.

Riding with two old buddies around Lake Winnebago 2 years ago in the spring. 100 miles hard. But laughing all the way. And panting and wheezing. And stopping for a coke and some fig newtons in Fond du Lac, at the southern tip. And sprinting hard for late yellows in Neenah, on the northern ride back home. That is real racing and fun.

Most of these stories involve racing, or racers, but that really is not what it is all about. But at some level there is ALWAYS competition going on. Even if it is with myself.

I fly for a living, but I am not a real pilot. I ride for fun and it is really in my heart. I am a real cyclist. I think.

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Winning the coveted Triple ( 20", Open [won on a 26" cruiser], and Cruiser) at the Florida State BMX Championships. That's a lot of races in one day. As I recall it was 14 motos and 3 mains in one day. There was no way anyone else was going to win anything on that day. It was all mine.

Dave

as one of the few ex BMXers here- I will say thats impressive!!!

Jason

jerk
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
winning the hoelliert kermesse (frank vandenbroucke was 2nd) and the jerk's pal nico gave him the lead-out to beat his own best friend and trade-team partner in a race in the jerk's hometown. the race meant nothing to either of those two...but the jerk was about to hang up his cleats dejected and rejected and move back to the united states to pursue a career that would one day lead him to fame and fortune on the serotta forum.

actually five of us took off on the second lap and hammered all the way to the end. it was the only sprint the jerk has ever won...or it was the only time the insufferable vdb has let anyone else beat him!

jerk

TimD
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Taking possession of my Schwinn Sting-Ray.

Carrying a 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of plywood, one end on my handlebars and the other end on the rack of the bike in front, to build yet another tree house (Schwinn Continental).

Climbing around and sitting backwards on the bars and pedalling, while moving (Schwinn Breeze).

Half-mile wheelies, skid contests, slide contests, riding through the woods, riding to the beach, riding into a lake, riding at night all year long in South Florida (Schwinn Breeze).

Learning I could not ride at all after drinking a quart of Colt 45 (Schwinn Breeze, I think)

Completing the Vernon-Vernon century, circa 1987, with two flats in the last two miles (Cannondale R600).

Nighttime rides through Boston (no helmet and ready to fail a drug test) (Cannondale R600).

Finding good people to ride with, by chance.

Calling my buddy to ride, claiming the Doppler weather radar showed it wasn't raining, or going to rain, which he rebutted with "Dude, don't confuse the Web with reality - look out the window" (it was pouring).

Being able to stay on the wheel of my Cat 3 buddy for a nontrivial distance (Trek OCLV).

Nighttime rides through fog, on Nantucket (various).

Extracting a stinging insect from my jersey while going downhill at 44 MPH (Marcelo - rock solid).

Finding the Legend Ti.

Riding to the coffee shop at 9 degrees F. and 15 MPH winds, freezing my a$$ off, but doing it (lugged Italian wet noodle steel).

Finishing the 141 mi Harpoon B2B last year with an out-of-the-saddle big ring sprint, uphill (Legend Ti).

The next ride...

TimD

weisan
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
My dad pushing me up a hill giving a 6-yr-old his first ridin' lesson.

jcmuellner
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I too have more than a few good memories...

Waking up to the sunrise in Alaska after riding four weeks from Washington State. And knowing we still had three more weeks to explore.

All day solo mountain bike rides through the Capitol Forest in Olympia with the summer light filtering through the trees with the moss and ferns all glowing green.

Seeing MC Escher-like 3D frogs jumping from the pavement as I made my way through the last night of my first 1200 km. The beer at the finish at 7AM.

Descending the Tourmalet and enjoying every day spent riding in the those perfect Pyrenees.

Yesterday's 1st-of-the-year century and any other day I ride. Never had a bad day of riding or skiing. I feel fortunate to be able to be out there.

Zard
01-23-2006, 11:25 PM

Same scene one summer evening on a winding road in rural Ohio racing a deer that ran and bounded alongside me for about 200 yards before launching over an old fence and disappearing into a field.

The deer's movements were so athletic and graceful.

That was 20 years ago and the image still lives with me.

shaq-d
01-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Same scene one summer evening on a winding road in rural Ohio racing a deer that ran and bounded alongside me for about 200 yards before launching over an old fence and disappearing into a field.

That was 20 years ago and the image still lives with me.

same with a horse. just awesome. likewise unforgettable. i was riding along country roads and horse started running alongside on its side of the fence for a while..until the end of his fence. wow.

sd

Climb01742
01-24-2006, 04:53 AM
My dad pushing me up a hill giving a 6-yr-old his first ridin' lesson.

wow, THAT brought back memories. my first ride without training wheels... i was 6, too, i think... my dad holding on to the back as i pedaled... then i suddenly realized he wasn't holding on any more... that feeling of equal parts fear and exhilaration... then pride as my dad saw i could do it.

weisan
01-24-2006, 06:14 AM
wow, THAT brought back memories. my first ride without training wheels... i was 6, too, i think... my dad holding on to the back as i pedaled... then i suddenly realized he wasn't holding on any more... that feeling of equal parts fear and exhilaration... then pride as my dad saw i could do it.
Climb-pal, deja vu. Exactly, down to the last detail! I need to wipe away tears in my eyes now...be seeing the old man in less than a week. :banana:

Ray
01-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Oh yeah, some wildlife memories worth a mention. I had about the same experience with a deer running just a few steps ahead of me on a road that he couldn't escape for a couple hundred yards until the embankment eased and he could jump back up into the woods. Very cool. Riding alongside a big ol' Heron (the boid, not the bike) for about a mile as I cruised along the Battenkill River near the Vermont/New York border. And the best one was mountain biking through some very quiet woods in Delaware when an entire herd (?) of white-tail deer jumped out of the woods next to me and ran diagonally past me without (somehow) hitting me. I'd startled them without even being aware they were there and suddenly I was among 'em for about 10 seconds. There were a lot of them - probably 25-35. Quite a sight and quite an adrenaline rush.

And, of course, a short moment of silence..... for the various and sundry varmits that have met their end under my wheels - I felt every one of them crunch and I cringe every time it happens.

-Ray

Tom
01-24-2006, 07:36 AM
I was maybe six or seven and one day I rode out the driveway, down the hill and onto the lower road. I just kept going. After an epic 3 or 4 miles I remembered home was about 1000 feet higher than where I was so I turned around and headed back. What I remember was the joy of saying to myself that I can do this and I can go anywhere I want and there's a lot of new things to see wherever I go.

davids
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Sooo many great memories. There are several "best" rides a month during the warm months, when friends and I can hit the roads for a few hours of riding. Lucky me!

But I do have a 'moment': It's that instant, after being off the bike for enough days for the visceral memory to fade, when I push off and take the first pedal stroke. The bike and I surge forward, and I'm flying again...

chrisroph
01-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Riding last summer crested butte to hotchkiss, colorado. 108 miles, 3660 feet of climbing, but with a net elevation loss of 3500 feet for the overall ride. We averaged 21mph. The ride from sapinero to hermit's rest above the black canyon of the gunnison with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70's was glorious. It was one of the most beautiful days ever on a bike. The ride was the first time I had returned to colorado in 20 years and it was wonderful to reconnect with that beautiful state and relive many memories that had gotten buried over the years.

Winning my first match sprint championship at alpenrose in about 1987.

Riding the oregon state tandem road championships in 2004 with a dear friend, 30 year teammate and a guy I've probably ridden 20,000 miles with,
as my stoker. Tandem racing is fun.

Riding to Helen Beyond with good friends in about 1985. This ride was a double century around mt st helens in a clockwise direction. It left a national forest compound south of the mtn, immediately hit gravel roads, and then hit national forest roads that were one lane wide. It was cold and rainy but we got occasional glimpses of the blast zone with the trees all knocked down in one direction.

Leading out a friend and teammate to victory in about 1973 in the cat 4 rose bowl road race and holding on for fourth myself.

All my wisteria rides with coy.

OldDog
01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe not a cycling memory, but still bike related. I was 13 and hanging out at the local little league field during an evening game. Looking cool, posing with my new canary yellow Schwinn Contenental. I spotted this cute little blonde and she, uh, excited me. I asked her if she wanted to ride my bike. She said no, as it was way too big, but still we became friends. Six years later I married her. And to this day, she buys me bike toys and lets me ride all I want.

Riding memories? Lots. Dad buying me my first bike, a green Columbia spyder bike. And mom grounding me because she saw me riding it a few blocks outside my boundries. Suffering in my first century, Pocono Century Tour, September 1974. Finished in a bit over 8 hours. Bit by the century bug. Riding in rural Kentucky and being chased by a pack of wild dogs. Touring Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway as a scout leader with all my scouts. Crashing my mtn bike in '90 and breaking my neck, that was a close call and long recovery.
Riding tandem with my wife in Maine near Acadia, with her sitting up, holding a lobster in each hand to cook back at camp.

And riding the fluid trainer last night with Spinervals Coach Troy.....urrrgh!

Spectrum Bob
01-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I must admit that there are three

I took the training wheels off of my first bike myself – a little red fixed gear with solid rubber tires – a friend helped by giving me pushes on the sidewalk – by the time I turned into the alley I was doing it on my own – the beginning of true freedom.

I was late for a club ride one day and there were no cue sheets left – I caught up to the back end of the group – I started talking to a cute blond riding an old pink Team Fuji – she didn’t have a cue sheet either – we managed to get a cue sheet from a friend at the first rest stop - when we were starting out I realized that I my pedal was jammed open so I could not click in – I finished the ride only being able to clip in with one foot – the blond finished the ride with me and is now my wife – we fell in love that summer riding together every weekend – I even rode her into the reception of our wedding on the top tube of her mountain bike – we still have magical rides together.

The first 10 mile ride with my 8 year old daughter – we were in the park – had a wonderful picnic next to the creek – we started handing a water bottle back and forth as she learned to drink while riding – we even had a visit from one of her favorite forum friends Too Tall (for some crazy reason my daughter just adores Too Tall) who came riding past and rode with us long enough for us to demonstrate the water bottle had off - I will say that showing Too Tall was like showing my mother he kept saying be careful be careful – it was a great ride.

andy mac
01-24-2006, 02:48 PM
riding drunk through the streets of amsterdam with friends.

riding drunk at night across the playa at burningman with my buddies on my bachelor party past the craziest people and things i'd ever seen.

driving down to belgium and riding the amateur liege-bastion-liege race. my knee went out about 20k's from the finish and my friend's dragged me home. ahhh the belgium beers and food at the end.

(i think i detect a drinking theme. hmmm...)

riding my bike over to my girlfriend’s house when i was a teenager. she told me to buy condoms on the way and the whole trip i was trying to find a pharmacy that had a male guy on the till - i was too embarrassed to be served by a female.

dropping my buddy for the first time. he is one of those uber competitive people who always makes a point to beat you and let you know it.

riding my mtn bike at tahoe smelling the pine trees in summer.

my next ride (???) after get on top of my stupid and still unknown injury.

sellsworth
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Finishing the Davis Double Century in 1991. I was new to cycling and never had ridden more than 25 miles in one day. I did it on my Cannondale mountain bike with slicks. I was nuts. I was so sore that my girlfriend had to help me up the stairs that evening.

SoCalSteve
01-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Completing my first Century, riding with my wife and Team in Training (knowing that I was helping a great cause and cycling at the same time).

Becoming a certified endurance cycling coach with Team in Training (so I could help create fond memories for others -and help a worthy cause).

And, of course being a kid, riding everywhere and the freedom that cycling brought to me and my friends. Those were simpler times...

Steve

spiderman
01-24-2006, 03:39 PM
this year for the sunflower revolution II in cincinnati
was memorable on many levels:
1) a novice like me riding with davis and connie phinney,
phil liggett and ben serotta on the meivici debut.
2) the pouring rain at the end of that ride
limiting visibility to absolute zero!

Ozz
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Best memories:

Finishing Ramrod...

A couple American Lung Assn fundraising rides (Trek Tri-Island) many years ago...most vividly getting my butt handed to me by a chick on a hot pink Serotta as a group of us hauled-a$$ to catch the early ferry to Anacortes so we could grab the good camping spaces. This was my first exposure to Serotta....very cool bike...I think her name was Mary? After that humbling experience, I had to have one to replace the 30 lb. mountain bike I was riding.

Vivid memories...

First bike crash...on my 5th birthday...on my new bike - Blue Schwinn Typhoon. Just learned how to ride a week or so before. Riding down a hill, weaving back and forth across the road (practicing "counter steering" ;) )...hit some gravel and went down. My head cracked the asphalt (this was 1968 - who used helmets?). I spent my birthday party in my room with a raging headache...probably a concussion.

Second bike crash...I was about 11 or 12 and was jumping off a ramp, over traffic cones in our driveway. Same Schwinn Typhoon, now handed down to my younger brother. Going for the "record" of 14 cones, no brakes down a hill, into the driveway off the ramp, landed front wheel first (oops!), over the handlebars. Luckily, I landed flat on chest, with my left arm under me and my head never touched the ground. Unfortunately, my wrist bones got moved up into the back of my hand. Went and told Mom what I did. She told me to sit on the couch until she was finished folding laundry. She was pissed cuz she told us to knock it off before lunch.....spent the night in the hospital after surgery to fix my wrist...enjoyed my first experience with Valium, probably some Demerol too.

I miss my Typhoon....good times. :banana: