PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else have SRAM hydros to go back under recall?

JayBay
12-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I was just wondering how many other folks on here have SRAM hydros to go back. I have the Red 22 discs on my 2014 Crux, and so far I've had no issues with them even in a recent single-digit-temp race. But nonetheless I'll be getting them to my dealer for a temporary replacement with SRAM BB7's. The details of the recall action plan are below, if you haven't seen it:

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/sram-road-hydraulic-brake-recall-replacement-plan/

I'm a little concerned about the plan outlined for North America, as compared to Europe and Asia. I want to be sure that when SRAM gets the new design together that they will indeed be sending us a new set of hydros. That seems pretty clear in the Europe and Asia plans:
- "SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a cheque/check for EUR 150"

But for North America this piece seems pretty vague:
- "SRAM will provide a voucher for product or cash reimbursement in an amount to be determined between SRAM and the CPSC"

Are there any dealers on here that have dealt with SRAM on this yet, that might be able to provide some insight? I've sent an email to SRAM but I'm sure they've been inundated with questions and with the holidays and all I don't expect much of a response.

Has anyone else swapped their hydros out for mechanicals under this recall yet?

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 09:50 AM
I was just wondering how many other folks on here have SRAM hydros to go back. I have the Red 22 discs on my 2014 Crux, and so far I've had no issues with them even in a recent single-digit-temp race. But nonetheless I'll be getting them to my dealer for a temporary replacement with SRAM BB7's. The details of the recall action plan are below, if you haven't seen it:

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/sram-road-hydraulic-brake-recall-replacement-plan/

I'm a little concerned about the plan outlined for North America, as compared to Europe and Asia. I want to be sure that when SRAM gets the new design together that they will indeed be sending us a new set of hydros. That seems pretty clear in the Europe and Asia plans:
- "SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a cheque/check for EUR 150"

But for North America this piece seems pretty vague:
- "SRAM will provide a voucher for product or cash reimbursement in an amount to be determined between SRAM and the CPSC"

Are there any dealers on here that have dealt with SRAM on this yet, that might be able to provide some insight? I've sent an email to SRAM but I'm sure they've been inundated with questions and with the holidays and all I don't expect much of a response.

Has anyone else swapped their hydros out for mechanicals under this recall yet?

How does one replace the recalled hydros with mechanical discs W/o changing the levers?

Are the wet disc levers wet and mechanical??

JayBay
12-22-2013, 10:01 AM
The replacement includes changing both the lever and caliper. The master cylinder is embedded in the brake/shift lever, and it's the same for both the hydro disc and the hydro rim brakes.

From what I can tell the issue is solely in the master cylinder, in the levers.

FastVegan
12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
A friend had his done on Friday, brand new red levers and bb7's!
How much is this train wreck gonna cost SRAM??

Scott Shire
12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
So it looks like they'll be giving you new shakes AND BB7 road. They're trying, I'll give them that, but even beautifully set up with conpressionless housing, the BB7s are still (I'd hope) leagues away from the intended performance level of Red22 hydro disc.

I'm a pretty big SRAM fan (apologist?) and this is bad. Hardly confidence-inspiring in the time leading up to the electronic launch. Guys on Red disc are your dream customer - early adopters with means. I bet the party is still raging on over at Shimano.

Bruce K
12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm still waiting for replacement Spyres so SRAM is not alone with issues in disc brake design.

And these are mechanicals!!!

I know there have been concerns about the current brake fluid as it has been adapted from (I believe) motorcycles and that the manufacturers were looking into a bicycle specific fluid.

I am not sure if this is part of the issue but I would bet that Shimano is taking a(nother?) hard look at their design before rolling out their hydros.

Good luck to everyone with these issues but it appears the result if there is a failure does not outweigh the risk. I know the Cannondale/Cyclocrosworld.com team mechanics are frantically changing over about 20+ bikes.

BK

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 11:38 AM
So it looks like they'll be giving you new shakes AND BB7 road. They're trying, I'll give them that, but even beautifully set up with conpressionless housing, the BB7s are still (I'd hope) leagues away from the intended performance level of Red22 hydro disc.

I'm a pretty big SRAM fan (apologist?) and this is bad. Hardly confidence-inspiring in the time leading up to the electronic launch. Guys on Red disc are your dream customer - early adopters with means. I bet the party is still raging on over at Shimano.

With electronic also. 4 wires to interface/battery. SRAM electrical tape.

Freebie Red22 levers and BB7, then new wet brakes when the issues are fixed. Do ya suppose they are gonna ask for the mechanical levers/BB7 back? Watch eBay for a bunch of Red22/BB7, NIB.

As people switch to Di2/shimano hydros.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 11:48 AM
A friend had his done on Friday, brand new red levers and bb7's!
How much is this train wreck gonna cost SRAM??

38,000 setup, let's say $100 per, all in....$3,800,000, lot$.

Charles M
12-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I have 5 bikes in this loop.

Sarto Custom, Scapin Custom, Alchemy Custom, Parlee Custom and Lynskey Viale.

All Hydro (some disc, some rim).

SRAM are swapping Levers, full length cable and Calipers (both disc and rim). They're matching the kit level as well (Red for Red, Force for s700).

It's happening pretty quickly. I have friends with replacement parts already on their bikes as of this weekend. Not sure what stocking levels are for the replacement parts.

I don't have my replacements in hand, but I'm not sweating riding the product as it's no place near freezing here and the product works fantastically well (disclaimer, you should stop riding your product immediately).

The 3.8 million number is low... it's 38,000 systems, 19,000 bikes, 5,000 potentially in customers hands. But the cost will reach into inventory at Bicycle manufacturers as well as still at retailers. Along with staffing costs to administer the recall, this will cost SRAM more than the 100$ per. SRAM are healthy. This is unfortunate but isn't a killer.

Scott Shire
12-22-2013, 04:49 PM
OP/ Charles:

Please keep us in the loop with how this all plays out. Wishing you guys the best luck!

JayBay
12-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Wow Charles, that is a lot of bikes to deal with. I was on the fence about returing them just yet myself - I haven't had any problems so far and the damn things just work so well. But I'm going to talk to my dealer today about procuring a set of the mechanical replacements.

Charles M
12-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Everyone should get with their shop ASAP... Availability of replacements would be a crappy thing to have to deal with in case they run low.

My box landed today for two of the bikes... The rest should be shortly, but I would hate to get stranded waiting on a production run of replacements in the case that happens.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Everyone should get with their shop ASAP... Availability of replacements would be a crappy thing to have to deal with in case they run low.

My box landed today for two of the bikes... The rest should be shortly, but I would hate to get stranded waiting on a production run of replacements in the case that happens.

Give a call to Wayne S. at shimano..bet he can help ya with some electronic/wet disc setup...just a thought.

unterhausen
12-24-2013, 11:49 AM
am I wrong to think that the replacements are quite a bit less money than the orignial parts?

I was reading something about this on bikeportland, they say that the failures that started this recall were at 0-5F. So I am left wondering if it's worth replacing the parts for people that don't ride when it's that cold. Then again, the failure mode results in being left brakeless, so it's probably not worth the risk

thirdgenbird
12-24-2013, 11:52 AM
am I wrong to think that the replacements are quite a bit less money than the orignial parts?

I was reading something about this on bikeportland, they say that the failures that started this recall were at 0-5F. So I am left wondering if it's worth replacing the parts for people that don't ride when it's that cold. Then again, the failure mode results in being left brakeless, so it's probably not worth the risk

I thought they said cold only accelerated the failure. I wouldn't be surprised if they all eventually fail.