PDA

View Full Version : Pacenti the new go-to rims for wide handbuilts

FastforaSlowGuy
12-22-2013, 07:44 AM
My wife is letting me get so e handbuilts as a blended birthday / Xmas gift. I'm probably looking at 20/24, pink CK hubs to match the new bike. Pacenti seems to be the new go to for this kind of build, and they do look beautiful. Now that the rim has been in the market a while, anyone seeing problems as miles pile on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

CNY rider
12-22-2013, 08:12 AM
My wife is letting me get so e handbuilts as a blended birthday / Xmas gift. I'm probably looking at 20/24, pink CK hubs to match the new bike. Pacenti seems to be the new go to for this kind of build, and they do look beautiful. Now that the rim has been in the market a while, anyone seeing problems as miles pile on?

Read the review by Jan Heine (Bicycle Quarterly).

Kirk Pacenti
12-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Read the review by Jan Heine (Bicycle Quarterly).

Wrong rim. If the OP is looking for a 20/24 combo, he wants the SL23 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1325448&postcount=1) not the PL23, reviewed by JH.

Cheers,
KP

sjbraun
12-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I've been riding SL23s in a 24x28 combination for several months. Very nice wheels.
Some gripe about difficulty mounting tires, but I haven't had that problem.

Only thing lacking from Pacenti rims is a silver option, but I think one is in the works.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 08:39 AM

The only rims out there fitting your 'bill' are mentioned and perhaps Velocity although my recent experience with Velocity makes me recommend Pacenti even more. Good name on the rim as well. Like frames, putting makers name on it says something.

FlashUNC
12-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Isn't meant to knock Pacenti's rims at all. I've heard nothing but good things.

But I've also had outstanding experience with the HED Belgiums. Would mean you're going 24/24 front and rear though.

guyintense
12-22-2013, 08:55 AM
But aren't the HED C2, the H plus Son Archetype and the Pacenti SL23 all really similar? I mean a mm here or there. Even close enough to be made in the same factory?

Lewis Moon
12-22-2013, 09:23 AM
My next set will be SL23s.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM

But aren't the HED C2, the H plus Son Archetype and the Pacenti SL23 all really similar? I mean a mm here or there. Even close enough to be made in the same factory?

What I don't get is why HED rims are so expensive, well I do know, 'decal premium'. Decent rims but I prefer Pacenti.

ryker
12-22-2013, 10:43 AM

I sell all these rims and only sell what I like. They all build up nicely. Pacenti is the best choice if you want to try road tubeless. H+Son is the best value. HED is for people who want the H+Son but without ano sidewalls. FWIW they are not made in the same factory.

ryker
12-22-2013, 10:48 AM
What I don't get is why HED rims are so expensive, well I do know, 'decal premium'. Decent rims but I prefer Pacenti.

An ironic comment because HED decals are the worst quality. I have had to de-sticker customer rims before delivery (with permission/disclosure) because of crooked application, curling corners and/or bubbles, which could not be smoothed out with heat. The good news is HED finishes under the decals are flawless. The welds are invisible.

ptourkin
12-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I've heard nothing but greatness regarding the SLs.

However, I may have to build up a set of 650bs for my Kogswell and was scared off by Jan Heine's reported experience with the PLs. Wondering if changes have been made or are anticipated. Apologies if this has already been addressed.

merckx
12-22-2013, 11:10 AM
An ironic comment because HED decals are the worst quality. I have had to de-sticker customer rims before delivery (with permission/disclosure) because of crooked application, curling corners and/or bubbles, which could not be smoothed out with heat. The good news is HED finishes under the decals are flawless. The welds are invisible.

I think you were thrown a curve, you swung and missed.

CNY rider
12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

How hard is it to de-sticker them?
I just bought a closeout pair and would be happier without the garish decals.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I think you were thrown a curve, you swung and missed.

Tee hee.

ryker
12-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Very easy. Heat gun took them off in 30s with no residue. No marring of the ano finish whatsoever (have seen this problem with decal removal on cheap rims). HED rims look really amazing naked.

Kirk Pacenti
12-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I've heard nothing but greatness regarding the SLs.

However, I may have to build up a set of 650bs for my Kogswell and was scared off by Jan Heine's reported experience with the PLs. Wondering if changes have been made or are anticipated. Apologies if this has already been addressed.

Fwiw, I am landing SL23's in 650b diameter in mid-late January...

madencbm
12-22-2013, 01:01 PM
SL 23s 20spoke front 24 back. CK hubs. Veflex Corsa 23. Only about 700 miles so far but very nice.

Janders
12-22-2013, 01:58 PM
SL23s, 24/28, CK hubs (blue for me, for my orange bike...).

Have 1500-2000 miles on them. Love them. True, comfy, corner well, blahblahbah. I give them a 9.75/10

0.25 off because I nearly lost my sanity mounting a new set of tires on them.

bluesea
12-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Out of tire mounting curiosity, are the SL23 Campy Neutron tight, DT 465 tight?

oldpotatoe
12-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Out of tire mounting curiosity, are the SL23 Campy Neutron tight, DT 465 tight?

Just for info, DT 415/465 being replaced by DT440, rear being OC. Nice rims, the 440, w/o the tight tire issue.

Ryun
12-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Got a set of sl23s with a large number of miles on em. Built up nicely and have been a joy to ride.

Worst rims I have ever had to mount tires. Took me a couple brands to find some that would even go on.

Ryun

ColonelJLloyd
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
What rim tape?

Ryun
12-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I tried a little bit of everything: Rox, Rox Ultra, Velo plugs. Finally landed on some stans tape with Veloflex masters

ColonelJLloyd
12-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Because of a few tire mounting options over the last couple years, it's Stan's or the Pacenti equivalent for me from now on.

Kirk Pacenti
12-22-2013, 03:43 PM
I tried a little bit of everything: Rox, Rox Ultra, Velo plugs. Finally landed on some stans tape with Veloflex masters

The rims were designed for use with thin, tubeless tape like stan's... Fwiw, mine (http://pacenticycledesign.com/products/accessories/pacenti-rim-tape-21mm-detail) is a wee bit thinner.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
The rims were designed for use with thin, tubeless tape like stan's... Fwiw, mine (http://pacenticycledesign.com/products/accessories/pacenti-rim-tape-21mm-detail) is a wee bit thinner.

Seems like velo plugs would be the easiest because they don't have the width of tape. No?

ryker
12-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Thin tape is better than Veloplugs for tubeless rims. Even Velocity says no Veloplugs on their TLR rims. Stan's, Velocity or Pacenti tape will work. Absolutely no cloth tape.

dlui
12-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Thin tape is better than Veloplugs for tubeless rims. Even Velocity says no Veloplugs on their TLR rims. Stan's, Velocity or Pacenti tape will work. Absolutely no cloth tape.

are Veloplugs ok if you use tubes? and don't plan to run tubeless? the hard to mount tires stories on the SL23 rim is making me lean towards other choices

ColonelJLloyd
12-22-2013, 08:21 PM
are Veloplugs ok if you use tubes? and don't plan to run tubeless?

They're only compatible with inner tubes.

10-4
12-22-2013, 08:24 PM
In my experience the Pacenti seemed to build the nicest.

dlui
12-22-2013, 09:49 PM
They're only compatible with inner tubes.

Forgive me for being a little dense, are tire easier to mount using Veloplugs with tubes on the SL23 ?

ColonelJLloyd
12-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Forgive me for being a little dense, are tire easier to mount using Veloplugs with tubes on the SL23 ?

Sorry, but I can't say as I don't have experience with the SL23. As I wrote previously in the thread, however, I've settled on using Stan's or equivalent. It's the best option in my opinion.

And Mr. Pacenti himself said the SL23 was designed to be used with those types of tape.

Kirk Pacenti
12-23-2013, 06:20 AM

No, Veloplugs are too thick. They take up too much room in the well, effectively increasing the diameter of the rim, making the tire fit more tightly and making them more difficult to mount. Tubeless tape is the way to go.

are Veloplugs ok if you use tubes? and don't plan to run tubeless? the hard to mount tires stories on the SL23 rim is making me lean towards other choices

It is not hard to mount tires on the SL23. Each "hard to mount" story I have heard was caused by thick tape and / or poor technique. Use thin tape, make sure the tire bead is in the deepest part of the well and start working the tire onto the rim opposite the valve stem. This is standard procedure for all tubeless rims (whether set up tubeless or not) and makes all the difference.

Seems like velo plugs would be the easiest because they don't have the width of tape. No?

No. It's the thickness of Veloplugs or tapes like Velox that causes problems, not the width of the tape.

Cheers,
KP

bluesea
12-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Just for info, DT 415/465 being replaced by DT440, rear being OC. Nice rims, the 440, w/o the tight tire issue.

Thanks. Interesting there were no other responses or comparisons to DT 465 or Campy rims. Guess this has become a sensitive subject.

My experience with DT 465/Campy Neutron is velox or Stan's tape doesn't make much difference. Either one's technique is there or not. If I can't push the last bit of bead on with my palm or one lever with Velox, thin tape won't change that.

Would be nice to have a high quality rim more relaxed than DT 465/Campy Neutron, but tighter/safer than OEM stuff which is ridiculous loose.

Robbos
12-23-2013, 06:45 PM
The only rims out there fitting your 'bill' are mentioned and perhaps Velocity although my recent experience with Velocity makes me recommend Pacenti even more.

Monsieur Patate, why do you think that about Velocities? I've heard they often have poor finishing on the spoke drill holes, i.e. lots of aluminum shavings. Is that why?

oldpotatoe
12-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Monsieur Patate, why do you think that about Velocities? I've heard they often have poor finishing on the spoke drill holes, i.e. lots of aluminum shavings. Is that why?

Since they moved production to FL, their quality control has suffered. A few early side wall splits, a few with outside diameters that make them impossible to get tires onto. Just not the consistency of the standard Aerohead of years past. PLUS many changing designs, like A23/A23OC and tubeless thrown in there...that might have something to do with it..plus I don't think having the main offices be in Michigan and production in Florida is a great idea.

BUT Velocity, specifically MD, has been stellar recognizing some of these issues and quickly taking care of them.

iPaul
12-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Only thing lacking from Pacenti rims is a silver option, but I think one is in the works.

Well a tubular option like HED has would be nice :)

Kirk Pacenti
12-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Well a tubular option like HED has would be nice :)

I am considering it, but there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for alloy tubular rims...

Cheers,
KP