PDA

View Full Version : Grease vs antiseize for winter bike

likebikes
12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Building a winter/beater bike, aim is to do no maintenance or cleaning whatsoever indefinitely unless a part breaks/needs adjustment. Bike will see rain/snow/slush/road salt/sand/road brine.

Steel frame, no carbon parts.

Grease or anti-seize for things such as bb and seatpost? These have been areas where parts have seized up on me before.

There are different types of anti-seize: copper, nickle, aluminum, metal free, etc.

Which and why?
Which one will give me the least problems down the road with stuck parts?

Peter P.
12-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Grease. The anti-seize compounds are not water repellent, which is what you need in the winter.

m_sasso
12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you need some marine grease, like Chevron Delo Synthetic SF.

Frankwurst
12-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd go with antiseize given that I used it on boat parts, nuts and bolts, for a number of years, that were exposed to salt water on a regular basis and never had anything I couldn't get loose when I needed to. It's still my preferance on bike parts but that's just me. If something works for me I stick with it.:beer:

lonoeightysix
12-21-2013, 09:38 PM
BB, I'd say a thin coating of antiseize on threads, then load the damn thing up with marine grease. With the seatpost, you'll be limited as to what you can use, due to slippage (at least my experience). I use the mix above, but can't get away with it using Thomson posts.

You have any way of periodically draining the bb shell, like a bb mounted cable guide screw? A drain plug is worth it.

cfox
12-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Grease. The anti-seize compounds are not water repellent, which is what you need in the winter.

I find the opposite to be true. In my experience, copper anti-seize is much more water repellent (and solvent resistant) than plain grease. Both work just fine, but anti-seize lasts much longer for me.