PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 & 11sp Ultrashift Ergo Internals

mccx
12-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Have a question about the internals of 10 and 11 speed Ultrashift levers (ignoring Powershift):

What are the differences in the internals (not the lever blades) as you go up the line? What separated Veloce and Centaur? Centaur and Athena/Chorus? (and so on).

Many thanks for all the knowledge that's out there!

FlashUNC
12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
For 10 and 11 speed levers, the only difference in the Ultrashift models was the index disc as far as I'm aware.

ultraman6970
12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Had to change the cable spooler in one of my 11s and from the 1st screw that the thing was different, took some extra pieces out to check internally and took me nothing to put it back together super easy (with 10 now that I have practice will take less time but the 1st time was a nightmare), are different unless at some point 1st gens 11s were using the old 10 mechanism.

Look at the catalogs and you will notice are not similar.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Have a question about the internals of 10 and 11 speed Ultrashift levers (ignoring Powershift):

What are the differences in the internals (not the lever blades) as you go up the line? What separated Veloce and Centaur? Centaur and Athena/Chorus? (and so on).

Many thanks for all the knowledge that's out there!

Graphics, and shift blade, brake blade material. Chorus has some bearings in the internals along with 11s shift disc and small toothed bushing in the front. Athena had the same internals as Chorus and those above it but the 11s shifting stuff.

Not sure what the post right above means....

As an aside, I wish Campagnolo either kept the UltraShift internals thruout or kept them and reduced the number of groups. I know they are trying to make groups cheaper and more atune to OEM but I don't like the Powershift internals either.

Hasn't happened yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 'Fulcrum' group..made the same place frames are made, with 11s and 10s, Powershift/PowerTorque type stuff...in the future.

Lewis Moon
12-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Graphics, and shift blade, brake blade material. Chorus has some bearings in the internals along with 11s shift disc and small toothed bushing in the front. Athena had the same internals as Chorus and those above it but the 11s shifting stuff.

This thread can now be locked.

mccx
12-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks Peter. Does this mean Centaur and Veloce don't use bearings in the internals? I've checked out Campagnolo's spare parts catalog and the diagrams are identical, but that's not helpful because they bundle most of the internals under the same part number.

thirdgenbird
12-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Hasn't happened yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 'Fulcrum' group..made the same place frames are made, with 11s and 10s, Powershift/PowerTorque type stuff...in the future.

I was expecting it as well.

I would like to see alloy Athena get its ultra shift and ultra torque back as we'll as some c-record style touches like a solid RD cage. Maybe even bring back the pre-skeleton record differential brakes for a more traditional look.

Carbon Athena with power shift and power torque could become a fulcrum group.

The same could happen with centaur/veloce. Give centaur some of its upscale features back and offer it in silver or black but not carbon. Make the current veloce group a fulcrum group only avalible in black to cut costs.

This would give Campagnolo three very solid race level groups, a vintage inspired group primarily focused at the steel market, and an entry level 10spd option with two finishes for different types of builds.

Fulcrum would have two groups, one 11spd and one 10spd. Both would be budget groups but completely functional. Power shift and power torque would differentiate Campagnolo and Fulcrum.

Now, where is my 1x11 fulcrum mtb group? The rd could be rebadged as a Campagnolo CX unit as well.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks Peter. Does this mean Centaur and Veloce don't use bearings in the internals? I've checked out Campagnolo's spare parts catalog and the diagrams are identical, but that's not helpful because they bundle most of the internals under the same part number.

Been a while since I've seen the center pivot if centaur/Veloce but think it's a brass bushing, and Chorus is a bearing but all else, like center shaft, etc, the same, for Ultrashift.

Ralph
12-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Is there any particular reason why Ultra Shift should be more reliable or last longer than Power Shift?

I've got 10's Centaur in 2010 Ultra Shift (triple capable), and 2011 Power Shift (triple capable). Currently running both as a double. Don't necessarily prefer one over the other. LIke FD shifting action better on Ultra Shift, than the "slam" way the Power Shift FD works. Think the Power Shift shifts a tad better in rear than Ultra Shift....in one at a time mode, and the Ultra has the dump feature. But I use the sweep shift 2 or 3 up feature on Power Shift more than I use the dump feature on Ultra.....so to me it's a wash between which one I prefer. For triple though....much prefer Ultra Shift FD action....when I sometimes have a triple on one of my bikes.

If I rode a compact....might prefer the Ultra for the dump feature. Dump feature is nice, but think too much is made of it. Shimano guys get along fine without it. More interested in reliability and longivity comparison of the two designs. To me....the difference in way the FD's work is a bigger deal than the differences in how the rear shifting is. So sure....would rather have a Chorus 11 shifter than Athena 11.....for even money....but wouldn't pay too much extra for Chorus. An Athena group would be fine also.