PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lemond Tete De Course

Matthew
01-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Just wondering if any of you have one or know someone who has one and what your thoughts are on them. I am looking to purchase a new frame and fork this year and am intrigued by this particular Lemond model. I currently own a Concours and really enjoy it. Retail for this frameset is around $3000 including the fork. I know the old Saturn team did pretty well on them and just wondered about durability, ride quality, and build quality. Thanks for any insight, Matthew.

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 09:25 AM
are you talking about the all Ti frame version- or the mixed material one

besides the material- there were significant geometry changes with the two bikes as well

Jason

Matthew
01-23-2006, 09:32 AM
I am wondering about the mixed material bike. Also curious about the Cannondale Six13 too. Any thoughts on either wold be appreciated. Matthew.

dirtdigger88
01-23-2006, 09:42 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2364&highlight=cannondale

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5572&highlight=cannondale

Ive never ridden the newer Lemonds- but I hear from folks who have- they seem to like them- Personally - I think the fit and finish lacks a bit- but I am also comparing that to custom bikes- so for a stock bike- I guess its good-

Jason

Idris Icabod
01-23-2006, 09:55 AM
I ride regularly with a guy who has had one (Lemond Tete de Course) for a couple of years. He has had a number of high end bikes prior to this, mostly De Rosa (and has been racing/riding for years so I trust his opinion). He absolutely loves this bike, his favourite bike of all time he regularly tells me. He bought the frame from the Lemond Rep and built it up with Campy Record. I don't know what he likes about it specifically, but if you have any specific questions, let me know and I will ask him. It is a very pretty bike but way too small for me, so I have never ridden it.

bostondrunk
01-23-2006, 10:14 AM
A fellow rider gave me his to try (carbon/ti model). I actually thought the quality/finish was excellent, really nice looking frame. He was looking to sell it. I definetily would have bought it if it had fit me, but the tt was too long for me....

RABikes2
01-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I ride regularly with a guy who has had one (Lemond Tete de Course) for a couple of years. He has had a number of high end bikes prior to this, mostly De Rosa (and has been racing/riding for years so I trust his opinion). He absolutely loves this bike, his favourite bike of all time he regularly tells me. He bought the frame from the Lemond Rep and built it up with Campy Record. I don't know what he likes about it specifically, but if you have any specific questions, let me know and I will ask him. It is a very pretty bike but way too small for me, so I have never ridden it.
Same here Matthew. Our bike shop is a Trek dealership and we have the Tete de Course on the floor. Our head mechanic bought a new Tete de Course last year and absolutely loves it. He has a beautiful stable of bikes, Merkyx, Serotta, Lemond, ..., and has nothing but praise for the bike (he loves ALL his bikes, but says the fit, ride, and responsiveness of this one is his favorite). He's been racing a long time and even at age 50 is spanking the cyclists locally and at races. Same offer; specific questions PM me and I'll ask him.
Personally, I think it's a sharp looking ride.
RA

Climb01742
01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
someone i know raced on one for a year as part of a sponsorship. at first, it's more relaxed, stable geo took some getting used to, he said, as he was used to c'dale-like geo and handling. but after the break-in period, he came to really like the frame.

pdxmech13
01-24-2006, 12:15 AM
its a good bike if it fits your "range". I think they are pretty sweet and own a steel and carbo one. They diffently ride a little less complient then say there alll steel or ti bikes but they fall in more of a performance category machine then say there predecessors. I only have maybe 300 miles on mine and think its a good machine. However I really don't think it is close to the legend i had built last year. My only advice is to go and try one in the flesh and let it be the deciding factor. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

The Spider
01-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Do you have the Maillot juane? With reynolds/true temper and 110 OCLV carbon?

pdxmech13
01-24-2006, 02:26 PM
versiales. just needed something to get wet, and didn't want to spend the $ for the ultegra. It has full fenders pump seatpost bag h20 cages and tons of lites. I was pretty impressed she only weighed in at scant 23 lbs. The new 105 stuff is really good. I mean really good. This comes from a guy with lots of durace and record bikes in the past.

PsyDoc
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
One of the guys in our club has the carbon/ti model. There is very little clearance between the chain stays and the tire/wheel. If he blows a spoke, then he's hoofing it home.

The Spider
01-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Completely agree PDX, I think Shimano 105 is the product of 2006. Durable, upgradable, raceable, bombproof and great value for money. A groupset that a rookie and year-hardened rider could equally love. Great curves too it has that organic muscular lines that I appreciate in Dura-ace.

RHD
01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Matthew:
I've had the Lemond carbon/ti for over two years and just rolled past 8,500 mile on the old odometer. The bike has had not a single problem and I love it.
I have ridden it hard including a trip from Sacremento Ca. to Santa Ana in four days. It still looks like new. If you have a shot at one I highly recomend it! Best RHD.