PDA

View Full Version : Bike rental in Phoenix

paulh
12-20-2013, 08:17 AM
First week of February. Should be a step up from MN weather. Any recommendations for road bike rental. Unless I can get a frame chopped to S & S by then, I think I'll rent rather than ship, but I'm open. Thanks.

zmudshark
12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Lots of places, just pick one close to where you are staying.

h2oxtc
12-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I had to do a double take ... the OP's username are my name and last initial, and zmud is a friend. My first thought was, "I don't remember posting that, and why would I want to rent a bike in Phoenix?". Funny.

ZMUD is right, there are several options for bike rentals, and the one's I've seen are great bikes. A friend rented a Caad10 from Tribe in Scottsdale. I'm sure most of the bike shops could hook you up.

AndresLD
12-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Tribe Multisport should have some pretty decent road options if that's what you're looking for. I know in the past they've had Caad10's and some Focus bikes for demo/rent.

thirdgenbird
12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Funny, I will be leaving Iowa for Phoenix on the second week of February.

I am going through the same debate. I could probably get my personal bike transported on a company truck but I'm unsure of how it will be handled.

ldamelio
12-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Used these guys last year when I was in Phoenix/Scottsdale for a meeting:

aoa-adventures.com

New Specialized Roubaix with Rival - not my cup of tea if I were buying a bike, but a decent rental and they took the time to adjust my contact points just right.

Happy with the bike and these guys. Riding was so-so overall but temperature great compared to home that time of year.

zmudshark
12-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Used these guys last year when I was in Phoenix/Scottsdale for a meeting:

aoa-adventures.com

New Specialized Roubaix with Rival - not my cup of tea if I were buying a bike, but a decent rental and they took the time to adjust my contact points just right.

Happy with the bike and these guys. Riding was so-so overall but temperature great compared to home that time of year.

You rode in the wrong areas. The riding is great in PHX.

gomango
12-27-2013, 06:18 AM
You rode in the wrong areas. The riding is great in PHX.

That's what I hear as well.

Three of the old goats I ride with and I use that term with humor, are there right now on vacation.

Riding their hearts out and loving every minute of it.

So so riding can be found here in Minnesota at the moment, with nearly impassible city streets the main issue.

I guess it's all relative.

zmudshark
12-27-2013, 09:03 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZcvegLNavW0/TKqTWrosBJI/AAAAAAAAEZE/wD1i7ZIAcus/s800/P1000335.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OYYPqURSUJ4/TPgXWsKn9LI/AAAAAAAAEv0/YZ9iAf-H-jU/s800/P1000603.JPG

josephr
01-03-2014, 01:28 PM
I know you're asking about PHX, but we visited the Tucson area during the holidays and rented mountain bikes and spent the day on some trails there. The riding was great and just driving around the area makes me want to go back and ride mountain and road more.

That being said, depending on how long you're going to be there, shipping your own bike might be worth it, but if you're only going to ride for a day or two, might be worth it to rent and try out something you've never ridden before.

Tips that you've probably already heard:
1) Make your reservation a couple of weeks before. We waited until a few days before and a couple of shops had rented out all the bike in my wife's size. Took a few phone calls to find suitable bikes.
2) Think about your transportation situation. Bike shops are notorious about not up-dating their websites. Some said they rented trunk-mount carriers for $10/day, but when we called, they said the stopped renting them as they had dumb customers rent them, not mount correctly, and then wouldn't pay for the destroyed bikes after they dragged them down the road. They said people have been known to buy/use/return a cheap-o every now and then, if thats your speed.
3) Don't forget to pack your pedals if you rent.
4) Drink plenty of water...and start a few weeks early drinking extra water...and then, drink some more water. Even when its not as hot, the dry air is still sucking water out of your body faster than you realize and it takes longer for your body to adjust.

Have fun!!!
Joe

PS --- Would love to hear any stories about riding the Catalina Highway up to top of Mt Lemmon....25 miles up to an elevation of 9100 ft???? We saw several folks riding up...wondering how much training it takes to get that monster done!

Idris Icabod
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
PS --- Would love to hear any stories about riding the Catalina Highway up to top of Mt Lemmon....25 miles up to an elevation of 9100 ft???? We saw several folks riding up...wondering how much training it takes to get that monster done!

Joseph,

Glad you enjoyed Tucson, if you ever get down again PM me and I will ride Lemmon with you. It isn't as hard as it sounds, the gradient is fairly gentle, an average of 5% and nothing steeper bar the road up to the ski resort and for the brave a short freshly paved climb to the observatory. If you have an account at RBR I posted some pictures a few years ago:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/commuting-touring-ride-reports/mt-lemmon-tucson-46795.html

josephr
01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Joseph,

Glad you enjoyed Tucson, if you ever get down again PM me and I will ride Lemmon with you. It isn't as hard as it sounds, the gradient is fairly gentle, an average of 5% and nothing steeper bar the road up to the ski resort and for the brave a short freshly paved climb to the observatory. If you have an account at RBR I posted some pictures a few years ago:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/commuting-touring-ride-reports/mt-lemmon-tucson-46795.html

Thanks for the link..yes, I'm on RBR (not an active poster though) but for some reason the pics didn't pull up for me.

I think doing some 'hill repeats' on Mt. Cheaha here in Alabama for a few months, I could certainly handle the long climb of Mt. Lemmon. Just driving it seemed like the worst part was up to the 5000' elevation markers but it really seemed to slow the grade with some breaks along the way. We didn't drive up to the observatory as the road was closed. I think the elevation/thin air would be the biggest adjustment.

I'm currently in negotiations with the spousal unit regarding the family responsibilities and cycling time for the spring. I aiming for SouthernCross in Feb, Skyway Epic in mid-May and hopefully Dirty Kanza a couple of weeks later. Throw in a few centuries and club rides, and my spring is going to cost a whole bunch of SkyMiles for a big a family trip. Maybe the fall for a Mt. Lemmon run?
Joe