PDA

View Full Version : MTB Tire Rec

azrider
12-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Seeking knowledge on 29er MTB tires. Is there something comparable to Gatorskins but in 29er sizing? During this time of year i'm getting a lot of miles on canal/bike path and it's destroying my tires. But the catch is i don't want to give up grip completely and don't want slicks.

SO is there something that's ultra durable like a Gator but still has nobs for when i do go on some trails?

I do NOT care about weight whatsoever and would probably prefer something on heavy side so.....anybody know of something that might fit this ?

Ken Robb
12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
A Pasela might work, Conti Town and Country?

Lovetoclimb
12-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I have been using Schwalbe tires tubeless with the snakeskin sidewall protection in WNC on some seriously haggard trails without incident. Maybe see if any of their less aggressive tread patterns come in that variation:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires

azrider
12-19-2013, 05:46 PM
I have been using Schwalbe tires tubeless with the snakeskin sidewall protection in WNC on some seriously haggard trails without incident. Maybe see if any of their less aggressive tread patterns come in that variation:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires

hmmm.......the Smart Sam HS 367 tires don't look too bad

mgm777
12-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Small Block 8s.?

lonoeightysix
12-19-2013, 06:51 PM
SB8's are a good compromise for what you describe; they will not clear mud/wet clay to any real extent. if you're running tubeless, you'd be better off setting up a second budget wheelset, rather than dealing with tire switches.

azrider
12-19-2013, 07:53 PM
SB8's are a good compromise for what you describe; they will not clear mud/wet clay to any real extent. if you're running tubeless, you'd be better off setting up a second budget wheelset, rather than dealing with tire switches.

well considering i'm in the desert and we average about 8" rainfall the mud/wet clearing is non issue. i'll check these out for sure.

westsidesean
12-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Surly has some new 29er narrower knards that might work well. Low tread profile