PDA

View Full Version : Easton EA90 slx wheelset. Opinions

Brian Cdn
12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Anyone riding these ?

Before I take the plunge and acquire a new Easton EA90 slx clincher wheelset, I thought I'd ask the forum for some feedback for pros and cons on these.

Cheers and happy holidays all.

B

avalonracing
12-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't have the newest set but I bought a pair and loved them. So I bought another pair for another bike. And then a third pair for a third bike. I'm 170lbs (155 in racing form) and ride on less than smooth roads. The wheels have stayed true, are light for aluminum and feel lively yet neutral.

arcadian
12-19-2013, 10:05 AM
I haven't had such luck. I have a pair that is 4 years old. Rear hub adjustment is stuck, broke spoke in the rear while on rollers. Just broke a spoke on the front wheel rolling the bike out my door.

I am done with them. I weigh 142 lbs and ride pretty decent roads.

Idris Icabod
12-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I've had Easton wheels before. Easton's customer service in my experience is outstanding. They've rebuilt a friends ancient Velomax wheels numerous times extremely cheaply, even found him some original decals when the rims cracked and needed rebuilding.

crankles
12-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Same thing happened to me... broke 2 spokes in the rear, one in the front. I'm 155lbs. I was riding to work when two of the breaks happened. Each time, the break was in the middle of the spoke. We're talking Sapims here. the first time, Easton just sent me a spoke replacement, but you need to detention the whole wheel. yep...you read that right. Total pain. After that, I just dropped the wheels of at the shop for warranty....which they did.

Mine are also circa 4 years old but with fairly low mileage.

I really thing they had some QA issues a few years back and maybe they are fixed now.

I haven't had such luck. I have a pair that is 4 years old. Rear hub adjustment is stuck, broke spoke in the rear while on rollers. Just broke a spoke on the front wheel rolling the bike out my door.

I am done with them. I weigh 142 lbs and ride pretty decent roads.

avalonracing
12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
+1 on Easton's customer service! I haven't had issues with the wheels but they helped me out with some other stuff which they didn't have to do.

bikser
12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I had some 2010 or 11 model year, excellent wheels. Very fast, and lightweight. I did break a rear spoke on it, but thats because the bike slipped while I was standing next to it and hit a rock. Got a spare spoke from Alchemy, easier and cheaper than getting it from Easton.

cmg
12-19-2013, 10:21 PM
don't own a set of these wheels........ but that won't stop me from commenting. if you read the reviews, the wheels suffer from broken spokens. it's the low spoke count 18 front, 24 rear on a 24.9mm deep and a standard 21mm wide rim. you can do the same thing with a handbuilt set, just use more spokes, especially on the rear. you have options research it.

KJMUNC
12-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Had a pair and they were great until I broke a spoke a long way from home. They're not a standard spoke, but luckily for me the nearest shop I was able to hobble to had a master wheel tech who was able to work out a replacement. I've never broken a spoke on another wheel and tend to be pretty easy on my gear, so I wound up swapping them out for something more durable.

If you're able to get them cheap or are really easy on wheels they're a decent value.

Threshold
12-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Only get the 2014's with the new Edco hubs, don't bother with older unless they are a smokin' deal. HED is coming out with new 23mm Ardennes with new ultralight rims and Sapim Super Spokes. The performance of the 23 rims are so superior, people have rocks in their heads spending cash on the old 19-20mm rims. It is like purchasing a modern car with a solid rear axle...did your mother drop you on your head as a child?

If you want to go all out, get a set of HED Belgium rims and Tune or Alchemy hubs for weight or Shimano 9000, Record or King hubs if weight is not a big deal.

avalonracing
12-20-2013, 10:58 AM
HED is coming out with new 23mm Ardennes with new ultralight rims and Sapim Super Spokes. The performance of the 23 rims are so superior, people have rocks in their heads spending cash on the old 19-20mm rims.

Yes, people never rode fast, rode far, raced, or enjoyed riding until 23mm rims were released.

kgreene10
12-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I've had three sets of Eastons, including the EA90SLX with R4 hubs that I trained and raced on for a few years. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get them again.

The FRONT hub was great! The rear hub had to be rebuilt multiple times and just always seemed to have problems. I only broke a couple of spokes, but over such a long period of time, that I thought it was acceptable. I do agree that customer service is excellent and in fact, real-life racers work in the Scotts Valley CA wheel facility.

But the real revelation came when I got a set of handbuilt HED Belgiums with CKR45 hubs. All of the sudden, the brake rub that I got with uphill accelerations was gone. And I'm just 155lbs. The HEDs are much stiffer and much more comfortable. I agree with a prior post that the wider rims are a game changer re: comfort.

avalonracing
12-20-2013, 11:03 AM
All of the sudden, the brake rub that I got with uphill accelerations was gone. And I'm just 155lbs.

That's strange because as I said I'm 170 and have more of my weight in my chest and shoulders than most cyclists (too much gym time). I really swag the bike around on power climbs too. But I don't get any brake rub with the wheels on the front of the three bikes I run these on (Ti with Reynolds fork, Ti with Easton fork, and aluminum with 1' Easton fork). There is no way I would put up with brake rub or brakes that are opened too wide. Maybe your wheel needed tension?

oldpotatoe
12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Only get the 2014's with the new Edco hubs, don't bother with older unless they are a smokin' deal. HED is coming out with new 23mm Ardennes with new ultralight rims and Sapim Super Spokes. The performance of the 23 rims are so superior, people have rocks in their heads spending cash on the old 19-20mm rims. It is like purchasing a modern car with a solid rear axle...did your mother drop you on your head as a child?

If you want to go all out, get a set of HED Belgium rims and Tune or Alchemy hubs for weight or Shimano 9000, Record or King hubs if weight is not a big deal.

UNLESS your frame or brakes mean that wunder-rim at 23mm won't work.

AND DA 9000 hubs, as an example, are more expensive then the mentioned wheelset(altho I wouldn't recommend Easton wheels, any year).

Having built and ridden many 20mm rims and 23mm rims...into wheels, I'd say it just depends. A wider tire on a 20mm rim, along with less air, supple tire...I'd say the differences aren't as dramatic as implied.

IMHO, of course.

avalonracing
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Having built and ridden many 20mm rims and 23mm rims...into wheels, I'd say it just depends. A wider tire on a 20mm rim, along with less air, supple tire...I'd say the differences aren't as dramatic as implied.

IMHO, of course.

What do you and your 40+ years of experience know?... ;)

tuscanyswe
12-20-2013, 01:45 PM
I bought an older set on here some time ago. I asked if there was ever any spokes broken on the set since i had read it was a problem with these. There were none i was told.

I rode them for maybe a week or more before the spokes started to break. Never cared to fix them as i knew they would just keep breaking.

Im very easy on gear and dont think i had a broken spoke from normal usage prior to these wheels.

Perhaps current versions are better tho but id stay away from the older sets.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2013, 03:26 PM
What do you and your 40+ years of experience know?... ;)

easy, only 28 and counting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

avalonracing
12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
easy, only 28 and counting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

Well, hell you should just be "Potatoe" then.

Fixed
12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
I am using a pair on my gravel grinder /commuter They have worked well so far no complaints about them ....yet
Cheers
ask me again in six months :)

AngryScientist
12-20-2013, 05:30 PM

somewhere, a marketeer is weeping with happiness.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2013, 08:01 AM
somewhere, a marketeer is weeping with happiness.

Why not? It's Christmas, after all.