PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anybody using a cheap burr style coffee grinder?

4Rings6Stars
12-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Thinking of picking one up for my brother for Christmas...

He has been using a $15 blade grinder for years and doesn't have any complaints, except that it has worn out and he needs a new one. He asked for a new blade style coffee grinder...because he doesn't want anybody to spend too much money on him. He is not a connoisseur but I think a big part of that is just that he is cheap. This will be for use in a drip style coffee maker (no espresso).

I was thinking of getting an entry level $60-100 burr grinder for him instead. I read up on it a bit and, like everything, there are lots of mixed reviews; but it seems even a cheap burr grinder is better than a blade grinder and it will be much quieter. This forum seems to offer good honest advice about just about anything, so why not coffee grinders! Will he notice any real improvement in the quality of the brew? Will the cheap plastic internals jam with grounds and burn itself out in 6 months?

(please don't waste time suggesting a $300 grinder that you use for your daily espresso--it really is going to be an inexpensive burr grinder or another blade grinder and a new Sox hat...)

thirdgenbird
12-18-2013, 10:55 PM
I've been interested in a budget (manual) burr grinder as well

lukasz
12-18-2013, 11:04 PM
You can easily get a manual/hand grinder for that much, which will grind well and be comparably quite quiet since the motor is you (Porlex grinder, for example). Giving someone the gift of having to grind coffee by hand isn't cool, though. I can't work miracles but I'm PMing you the best option I think you have on short notice (ebay auction BIN)

edit, a good option that wouldn't take too long even grinding for a couple of cups of drip by hand is a grinder in this style: http://www.orphanespresso.com/VINTAGE-Unrestored-Hand-Grinders_c_238.html
As you can see though, the quality is hit or miss. I just stumbled upon this though:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Hario-Coffee-Mill-CANISTER/dp/B005CUBVPQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387429610&sr=1-8

No experience with it, but seems like a nice modern option.

Ken Robb
12-18-2013, 11:08 PM
I replaced my blade grinder with a burr grinder from COSTCO that was a real step up in quality and consistency. It adjusts from 1-9 for fine/coarse and 1-12 cups. I keep the hopper full and just push the button when I want to brew my 4 cups via paper filter auto-drip machine. Coffee that makes me happy every time.

4Rings6Stars
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Ah, should have mentioned. Not looking for a manual grinder.

Lukasz, thanks for the link in the PM. If I was shopping for myself, I would probably go for it. I am all about buying used (bikes, cars, etc.), but I feel strange giving a used appliance as a gift, especially when I don't know the history and it appears well used.

4Rings6Stars
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I replaced my blade grinder with a burr grinder from COSTCO that was a real step up in quality and consistency. It adjusts from 1-9 for fine/coarse and 1-12 cups. I keep the hopper full and just push the button when I want to brew my 4 cups via paper filter auto-drip machine. Coffee that makes me happy every time.

Any idea on the make/model? How long have you had it?

scho74
12-18-2013, 11:23 PM
i use an inexpensive burr grinder:

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387430523&sr=8-1&keywords=hario+burr+grinder

it's great for pour over. much much better than a blade grinder.

EDIT: saw your update...nvm then! haha

donevwil
12-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Bought my Cuisinart burr grinder at Costco four years ago and have seen the same one as recently as 6 months ago (edit: just checked and they still sell it (http://www.costco.com/.product.100053567.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP#B VRRWidgetID)). Adjustable grind and volume. No comparison to a blade grinder in terms of consistency. Coffee-o-philes will say it doesn't compare to their $200+ yadda-yadda grinder, but my wife and I are perfectly happy with it. It is challenged to grind a true fine espresso grind and is very noisy, but with a little tolerance we're fine, believing the coffee maker plays a bigger part. We've upgraded our espresso maker twice and the grinder just keeps grinding. Eventually we figure we'll step-up and get a fancy burr grinder, but this one just keeps doing what it's supposed to do. I just can't believe a mid-range $100 grinder would be over 3 times better, let alone a $200 one being 7 times better.

gospastic
12-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Might be a long shot but Bodum recently was on closeout at JC Penney due to some contract breach. I picked up their Bistro burr grinder for $40. Works okay so far.

Netdewt
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
I have a Hario hand crank grinder. It takes a while, but I like it, and I need to time to wake up in the morning.

alexstar
12-19-2013, 12:30 AM
I also have a Bodum Bistro burr grinder... consistent grinds, no mess, easy to use. Well worth the money IMO.

gomango
12-19-2013, 04:59 AM
I also have a Bodum Bistro burr grinder... consistent grinds, no mess, easy to use. Well worth the money IMO.

I received one for Christmas last year and it's a winner.

Never new how much they were until I just googled the name.

I guess you get what you pay for, as it really does a nice job.

Ken Robb
12-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Any idea on the make/model? How long have you had it?

Brand=Capresso, #559 model, list price $49.95, had it 5 yrs. or so. No problems at all. I think I paid $30 +/- at COSTCO.

weiwentg
12-19-2013, 05:40 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387430523&sr=8-1&keywords=hario+burr+grinder

If you change your mind, I use this one as well. It's not as inconvenient as you think.

The Skerton cannot grind coarse very consistently. It's acceptable for normal people. But aficionados may wish to consider Orphan Espresso's lower bearing kit mod (which stabilizes the burr so it can grind coarser more consistently).

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

arcadian
12-19-2013, 06:03 AM
If you change your mind, I use this one as well. It's not as inconvenient as you think.

The Skerton cannot grind coarse very consistently. It's acceptable for normal people. But aficionados may wish to consider Orphan Espresso's lower bearing kit mod (which stabilizes the burr so it can grind coarser more consistently).

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

Good info here. This is what I would do. I have a Skerton at work and an OE Lido Mk. 1 one at home. The Skerton out of the box won't do course consistently at all. Other than that it works pretty well.

SlackMan
12-19-2013, 06:17 AM
I've had this $85 Capresso for several years and been quite happy using it daily for French press coffee. And you can see it has 1729 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

CDollarsign
12-19-2013, 07:04 AM

+1 for the Skerton. It does generate more fines than a Baratza electic grinder but its 1/4 the cost. If he was using a blade grinder he would never know.

You may consider the Baratza Encore, i think its $130 but has a decent burr set and is great for entry level grinders.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Safeway.........

Birddog
12-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I have a Cuisinart BRS8 that I received as a gift some 6 or 7 years ago. I wouldn't buy one for myself. Every time you grind it leaves a clump of very fine grind at the top corner of the hopper. It's a passable unit and it hasn't quit but I think I'd opt for a little better machine if I was in the market.

ColonelJLloyd
12-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a $50 Cuisinart burr grinder (probably the one referenced above). The fine stuff that sticks to the gounds container (that's not the hopper) has never bothered me. It's worked for several years and I chose it for the price and the stainless finish matches many of my other appliances.

Ken Robb
12-19-2013, 05:29 PM
I just saw a Capresso 580 for $39 at First Tuesday.

giordana93
12-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Go for the burr grinder. So much better grind and more convenient too. I have the entry level Baratza I got for around $100 over 5 years ago to replace a braun that lasted 20 years. The cheaper ones will have lighter duty motors and a less consistent grind, which is a non-issue for drip brew and less than perfect espresso. The lighter duty motor will do fine in a non commercial setting for many years.

twangston73
12-19-2013, 07:08 PM
+1 for a capresso machine. I have had one for years, works great, no problems, and definitely a worthwhile step up from the whirlichopper variety.

bcroslin
12-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I've been eyeing the Porlex JP 30 (http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/porlex-jp-30.html) recently to replace my old Starbucks burr grinder but I'll probably end up dropping a few hundred for a Baratza.

Don't skimp on the grinder. You can buy the most expensive coffee and ruin it with a bad grind.

roydyates
12-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Bought my Cuisinart burr grinder at Costco four years ago and have seen the same one as recently as 6 months ago (edit: just checked and they still sell it (http://www.costco.com/.product.100053567.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP#B VRRWidgetID)). Adjustable grind and volume. No comparison to a blade grinder in terms of consistency. Coffee-o-philes will say it doesn't compare to their $200+ yadda-yadda grinder, but my wife and I are perfectly happy with it. It is challenged to grind a true fine espresso grind and is very noisy, but with a little tolerance we're fine, believing the coffee maker plays a bigger part. We've upgraded our espresso maker twice and the grinder just keeps grinding. Eventually we figure we'll step-up and get a fancy burr grinder, but this one just keeps doing what it's supposed to do. I just can't believe a mid-range $100 grinder would be over 3 times better, let alone a $200 one being 7 times better.

I have owned two of those Cuisinart grinders. Both died after less than one year of service. We would grind for one pot per day on average. Now we use this Bodum
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387508597&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+burr+grinder

which seems pricey for what you appear to get and
which has special instructions to not grind beans for a full pot all at once. However, it hasn't died yet.

pdmtong
12-19-2013, 11:53 PM
I've had this $85 Capresso for several years and been quite happy using it daily for French press coffee. And you can see it has 1729 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

+1 for a capresso machine. I have had one for years, works great, no problems, and definitely a worthwhile step up from the whirlichopper variety.

yup...us too. bomber and the price is right

bigman
12-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Not cheap but not to pricey either - but well worth it - get the Kitchen Aid= think I found it for about $150.

lukasz
12-20-2013, 12:14 AM
The only problem with those little electric machines (Capresso) is that they are also kind of obnoxious as far as noise goes, and the grounds get loaded with static electricity due to all the plastic and crappy shielding. They will do the job for drip, though, sure. For $60-$100 you can't ask for much.

I don't think any burr grinder in that price range is going to be much better than another. Pick whatever has the best warranty. I went through 3 or 4 machines before I got an old used Mazzer Major on ebay (it was a hell of a score as I was looking for the Mazzer one model below it). I could throw this thing out of my apartment window and it would make a nice dent in the sidewalk then still grind coffee.

Ken C
12-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I have the Capresso Infinity that has been mentioned. For drip coffee it does a great job when used with a good coffee maker. I had the Cuisinart grinder and the Capresso is far superior. Quiter and grinds much more evenly.

I have not had too much problems with static buildup, which may be the biggest complaint with this grinder. It grinds well for the price and has been durable. For sub $100 you can't go wrong with it.

I would like a Barazata Encore, but I can't find an excuse to get rid of the Capresso yet. The Encore is about $140 or so and per reviews should have less static issues than the Capresso and may or may not produce a superior grind.

Since this will be used for drip either of these should work well. Other options could include the Bodum Bistro or Breville Smart Grinder.