PDA

View Full Version : San Diego vacation - suggestions?

FastforaSlowGuy
12-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Accidentally posted in Classifieds. Mods pls move. Thanks!

This worked really well when my wife and I went to Portland, so I'll do it again. I'm looking to take her to the SD area in early/mid February. This is an Xmas gift, and the aim is to (a) go some place warm when we're at our cold-and-dark limit in Boston, (b) be on/near the water, (c) get her some surf lessons, (d) eat some good food.

I know absolutely nothing about the city, so I'm looking for advice on where to stay. We usually like to stay somewhere that's easily walkable to restaurants, coffee, etc. But I'd also like to be near the water.

We'll probably do a VRBO/Airbnb thing, unless there's a better option at a boutique hotel.

Suggestions on neighborhoods or landmarks we should try to stay near, must-do things, etc. are very welcome. I plan to fly my bike out there and do some riding while she's on the water. (Surfing and I don't get along.) So some place that's rideable would be great.

bloody sunday
12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
This worked really well when my wife and I went to Portland, so I'll do it again. I'm looking to take her to the SD area in early/mid February. This is an Xmas gift, and the aim is to (a) go some place warm when we're at our cold-and-dark limit in Boston, (b) be on/near the water, (c) get her some surf lessons, (d) eat some good food.

I know absolutely nothing about the city, so I'm looking for advice on where to stay. We usually like to stay somewhere that's easily walkable to restaurants, coffee, etc. But I'd also like to be near the water.

We'll probably do a VRBO/Airbnb thing, unless there's a better option at a boutique hotel.

Suggestions on neighborhoods or landmarks we should try to stay near, must-do things, etc. are very welcome. I plan to fly my bike out there and do some riding while she's on the water. (Surfing and I don't get along.) So some place that's rideable would be great.

I would recommend homeaway (VRBO).

I would look for places in: Encinitas, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Carlsbad or Leucadia. Basically anywhere in North County. Plenty of beach, plenty of restaurants on the 101.

Plenty of good riding along the coast from Camp Pendleton down to La Jolla. Or a little inland from Carlsbad heading east. Check on Strava for some good routes. I'm going down there soon and I can't wait, as the Bay Area is great, but gets boring.

vqdriver
12-18-2013, 04:47 PM
pendleton to la jolla along the coast is nice riding.

bloody sunday
12-18-2013, 04:50 PM
pendleton to la jolla along the coast is nice riding.

Yes, yes it is!

maximus
12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice. San Diego is a hard place not to like!

I don't have a ton of advice on where to stay, but I can say that everything in San Diego is super accessible with a short car drive. This is coming from a WashDC native though, so I am used to a lot more hassle getting around. I might try Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/) for some unique places to stay.

You can stay by the beach (Coronado, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla) or nearer to downtown in some relatively peaceful and quaint neighborhoods. North Park/Hillcrest area are good options great semi-urban environment with plenty of cafes/bars. Also Southpark (my hood) or downtown. Any of those options would put Balboa park a stone's throw away which is full of museums, parkland (some cool walking paths), and relaxation spots. It's wroth checking out Golden Hill park for a really beautiful view of the downtown skyline with the harbor and Point Loma in the background. I know it sounds cliche - but do not miss the zoo.

If you are both cyclist, there are some great routes, like riding out to Cabrillo monument in Point Loma - but can take some climbing. There are not a ton of dedicated bike trails that I know of. There is one really leisurely ride called "Silver Strand" which takes you from Coronado south (or the other way around) with the ocean on one side and the harbor on the other. This is a smooth, flat one. There is a ferry that runs between a couple locations in downtown and Coronado.

Temecula Valley is a growing wine region in SoCal. It's worth a visit if you are into that. Also, BEER. If you appreciate beer, San Diego is a virtual playland of craft beer. The obvious visit would be Stone Brewery in escondido which has a incredibly landscaped (it has a creek!) area out back to hang out and relax in. Plenty of others...

Anyway, that's all I got. I am relatively new to the area so the veterans can chime in. Needless to say, but there is no shortage of outdoor beauty here with the beaches and your visit is timed right.

vqdriver
12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
great idea for a Christmas gift btw.

Lovetoclimb
12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Visit the Stone Brewery, so many delicious beers only available there. Maybe arrange a sober driver though or plan an overnight stay in Escondido.

Notable climbs worth doing out there from some weeks I spent working in Mexico:

Soledad Mtn (both sides, here is one):
http://app.strava.com/segments/616252

Palomar Mtn (both sides, but especially this one with all the switchbacks):
http://app.strava.com/segments/273807

Kitchen Creek (to the backside of Laguna Mtn):
http://app.strava.com/segments/1390558

Enjoy the sunshine!

Leoner
12-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Let me know if you want me to drop off a couple bikes. If you plan on riding that would save you the airline fees.

I'm not sure that my suggestions in terms of locations would be any more useful than yelp, etc.

enr1co
12-18-2013, 05:41 PM
You should hook up on a ride w/ Chris Horner and then afterwards, talk bike story over a couple of double-double animal style burgers and fries at In-N-Out ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=141340

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697872762&stc=1&d=1387396009

tiretrax
12-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Peloton or Bicycling recently had a story about SD. I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't add more than have a great trip.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I had no idea SD was a beer town. Awesome. Thanks for all the tips and keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

FastforaSlowGuy
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Did I post this in Classified by mistake? Crap. Hoping a mod can move this.

bloody sunday
12-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I had no idea SD was a beer town. Awesome. Thanks for all the tips and keep em coming!

If you like beer, check out Pizza Port. One in Carlsbad, and the other in Solana Beach area. Great pizza, and even better beer. Carlsbad Chronic goes well with anything there.

Leoner
12-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Hang in out with Horner at his pad in San Diego '96.

Check out crazy burger. Also, the Stone Brewery.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/7y8e2y6e.jpg

beeatnik
12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Dissenting Opinion

I would avoid Stone. It's basically in a giant office park on a hill in a rather visually sterile community. Then you have the hours long wait if you drop in without a reservation (IRC, you can only dine on weekends with a reservation). The bar doesn't require a reservation but then you don't have access to the full menu. Finally, the place itself, well, it's modern (which I generally love as an architecture "buff") but you might as well be visiting the Miller plant in Irwindale

http://grabinabeer.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/irwindalenow1.jpg

La Jolla is berry nice. There's a reason it means The Jewel in spanish.

ptourkin
12-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Nice. San Diego is a hard place not to like!

I don't have a ton of advice on where to stay, but I can say that everything in San Diego is super accessible with a short car drive. This is coming from a WashDC native though, so I am used to a lot more hassle getting around. I might try Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/) for some unique places to stay.

You can stay by the beach (Coronado, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla) or nearer to downtown in some relatively peaceful and quaint neighborhoods. North Park/Hillcrest area are good options great semi-urban environment with plenty of cafes/bars. Also Southpark (my hood) or downtown. Any of those options would put Balboa park a stone's throw away which is full of museums, parkland (some cool walking paths), and relaxation spots. It's wroth checking out Golden Hill park for a really beautiful view of the downtown skyline with the harbor and Point Loma in the background. I know it sounds cliche - but do not miss the zoo.

If you are both cyclist, there are some great routes, like riding out to Cabrillo monument in Point Loma - but can take some climbing. There are not a ton of dedicated bike trails that I know of. There is one really leisurely ride called "Silver Strand" which takes you from Coronado south (or the other way around) with the ocean on one side and the harbor on the other. This is a smooth, flat one. There is a ferry that runs between a couple locations in downtown and Coronado.

Temecula Valley is a growing wine region in SoCal. It's worth a visit if you are into that. Also, BEER. If you appreciate beer, San Diego is a virtual playland of craft beer. The obvious visit would be Stone Brewery in escondido which has a incredibly landscaped (it has a creek!) area out back to hang out and relax in. Plenty of others...

Anyway, that's all I got. I am relatively new to the area so the veterans can chime in. Needless to say, but there is no shortage of outdoor beauty here with the beaches and your visit is timed right.

I also live in South Park. No need to go all the way up to the Stone facility in Escondido. They have a tasting room here in South Park (which has rarities you won't taste elsewhere) and big new beer garden in Liberty Station. They're considered passe here, anyway - stuff you can get anywhere. Try some of the good stuff you can't get back east - Societe, Green Flash, Hess, Coronado, etc.. they all have tasting rooms and many of them are more centrally-located than Escondido.

Pizza Port is fine, there are more than 2 of them but Blind Lady Ale House and its sibling, Tiger! Tiger! are nationally top-ranked spots with exquisite choices (and big supporters of local cycling) as are Hamilton's and Toronado.
Just google "30th Street San Diego beer" and be stunned at the choices along a 3 mile corridor.

You can't go wrong climbing Soledad (at least 7 routes up), Laguna, or Palomar. Torrey Pines is a quick climb with a view.There are some great paths along the SD and Sweetwater Rivers and along the 56, further north.

bloody sunday
12-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Dissenting Opinion

I would avoid Stone. It's basically in a giant office park on a hill in a rather visually sterile community. Then you have the hours long wait if you drop in without a reservation (IRC, you can only dine on weekends with a reservation). The bar doesn't require a reservation but then you don't have access to the full menu. Finally, the place itself, well, it's modern (which I generally love as an architecture "buff") but you might as well be visiting the Miller plant in Irwindale

http://grabinabeer.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/irwindalenow1.jpg

La Jolla is berry nice. There's a reason it means The Jewel in spanish.

I agree. Skip Stone.

sjbraun
12-18-2013, 08:06 PM
I disagree, go to Stone. Lost Abbey is nearby.
I like to stay in Little Italy. We've done well at the Hotel Porto Vista.

Check out the tour of the USS Midway

and Sea Rocket Bistro for excellent fish and craft beeer

Ken Robb
12-18-2013, 09:11 PM
You will have a really good time but---------plenty of visitors arrive expecting to play in the ocean as they would in Florida during Winter. Here the ocean water temp will not be over 60F. It's a great time for good waves but everyone wears a wetsuit to surf until warmer water arrives in the Spring.

Tell us what else you like to do for fun and we can better advise you. I have had some excellent hotel deals by using Pricepoint's "Name Your Own Price" program.

There have been plenty of good suggestions about where to stay. I never worry when I recommend staying in most of La Jolla because it is on a beautiful section of the coast and has more restaurants of all kinds than you could try in a week. A decent art museum, places w/live music, oodles of shopping (that could be a negative) all located halfway up the coast from Coronado to Carlsbad. Plenty of visitors take a cab from the airport and never need a car for a week. If you like bus rides ours have bike racks on the front to get you to a distant starting point for a one-way ride.

OTOH a car can make it easier to get to many of the attractions in the area and I have also got some amazingly cheap rentals via "Name Your Own Price": $17 a day for a new Mercedes C 300 from Budget in Nashville! One just has to know what a hotel might charge per day for parking if it isn't free for guests. The Shores Hotel in La Jolla is right on the beach, has free underground parking, and we often eat in their pretty darn good restaurant looking at the surf.

I just checked VRBO and Truell's Cottage looks great. It's 1 block away from The Shores Hotel I mentioned above. $1750 a week seems fair for the area and it appears to be available in early Feb.

vqdriver
12-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Priceline? :)

excellent hotel deals by using Pricepoint's "Name Your Own Price" program.

Ken Robb
12-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Priceline? :)

Yep--It didn't look right to me when I wrote it. DOH!

enr1co
12-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Check out the Taylor Guitar factory in El Cajon- free 1.25 hr tour daily.
Cool mfg. tour even if you arent into guitars

http://templodorockbutia.net/emoticon.gif

http://tourguidetim.com/taylor-guitars-factory-tours/

Ken Robb
12-18-2013, 11:54 PM
For esoteric tours I can tell you that Joe Bell is very gracious about greeting visiting cyclists in his shop. You might even make an appointment with Bill Holland for an order/fitting session in his adjacent salon. Oops--this vacation might get VERY expensive.:banana:

Drmojo
12-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Ocean Beach
Great riding to Cabrillo/lighthouse or along
Harbor to Waterfront/downtown
More Boho/hippy vibe than conservative
La Jolla or Pacific Beach.
But I am biased since I lived there for a year.
Best urban coastal riding anywhere

ptourkin
12-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Sea Rocket is closed. It was a cool place. Plenty of other good options, though.
Holland is moving out of the shop in Casa de Oro and leaving JB to move up to Convoy. He will open there in early January. Still, two good places to visit.

stackie
12-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Ride the coast. La Jolla to Pendleton is just amazing.

Could join a sat am ride. SDBC good as is the CycloVets.

Food? Cucina Urbana for amazing wood fired pizza and pasta. Great wines also.
Dessert? Try Karen Krasne's Extraordinary Desserts. Split one. They are crazy good and rich.

Back to food? World Famous in Pacific Beach for fish tacos or loans yet tacos on Wednesday. Hash House a go go is good breakfast spot with insanely huge portions. Also good for dinner, but we go for breakfast.

Those are my faves.

Jon

Tony T
12-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I would recommend homeaway (VRBO).

I've heard of airbnb, but not homeaway.
Is homeaway a better service?

bloody sunday
12-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I've heard of airbnb, but not homeaway.
Is homeaway a better service?

same thing, different name.

My wife and I used Homeaway to book 4 homes for our honeymoon to the PNW

highly recommended.

Tony T
12-19-2013, 04:47 PM
At the No. End of Ocean Beach is Dog Beach, if you have some pups.
Wasn't mentioned, but there's also Mission Beach (btwn Pacific and Ocean)

Buzz!
12-19-2013, 05:51 PM
As a lifelong SD resident/surfer, remember that Feb and Mar are freakin cold water surfing months, and the beach weather isn't great either. Cycling here will easily be warmer than where you live though. Up and down the coast is a no-brainer too.

So many places to stay, but anywhere on the coast is great to cycle and sight see, I'd recommend a day in Balboa park (SD zoo here too) if time permits. From there the Gaslamp in downtown is right there, plenty of nightlife/beer, etc...

killacks
12-19-2013, 11:28 PM
If I were to visit, I'd consider staying downtown. It's close enough to ride to many of the areas mentioned. Or, you can take the Coaster train that runs from there to the North County Coastal areas, all the way up through Camp Pendleton, I think. Plus you can take a bike on it.

Little Italy is a fun place to stay, even as a local. It's close to the airport, there's a Filippi's Pizza there, and it's minutes from many charming Central San Diego neighborhoods.

I thought the OP mentioned coffee, too. Some good local roaster/cafes...

Central: Coffee and Tea Collective, Dark Horse, Cafe Moto, ...

Coastal: Bird Rock Coffee, ....

bloody sunday
12-20-2013, 12:11 AM
If I were to visit, I'd consider staying downtown. It's close enough to ride to many of the areas mentioned. Or, you can take the Coaster train that runs from there to the North County Coastal areas, all the way up through Camp Pendleton, I think. Plus you can take a bike on it.

Little Italy is a fun place to stay, even as a local. It's close to the airport, there's a Filippi's Pizza there, and it's minutes from many charming Central San Diego neighborhoods.

I thought the OP mentioned coffee, too. Some good local roaster/cafes...

Central: Coffee and Tea Collective, Dark Horse, Cafe Moto, ...

Coastal: Bird Rock Coffee, ....
Yeah, I lived in San Diego County proper for most of my life, and when I started my career I was working out of North County. So, I think this is why I suggested all N. County places. IMHO if you're a young college kid, or under the age of 30, downtown might be nice. But for me, I would rather stay in N. County (La Jolla and north) if I was looking for great cycling, great food, and beautiful views.

If you're into fighting the drunk crowd, stick to downtown or PB - you'll find plenty of drunks around there.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Ocean Beach
Great riding to Cabrillo/lighthouse or along
Harbor to Waterfront/downtown
More Boho/hippy vibe than conservative
La Jolla or Pacific Beach.
But I am biased since I lived there for a year.
Best urban coastal riding anywhere

Haven't been there for 20 years but Scripps Hospital/TorreyPines golf course, down the hill, to Carlsbad or Pendleton, along the beach..and back, then decide, inside or outside, route..back up the hill..still there?

Also Ramona, Lake Wolford, Ellfin Forest...Loved riding there, lived in Rancho Bernardo till 1993...

Ken Robb
12-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Haven't been there for 20 years but Scripps Hospital/TorreyPines golf course, down the hill, to Carlsbad or Pendleton, along the beach..and back, then decide, inside or outside, route..back up the hill..still there?

Also Ramona, Lake Wolford, Ellfin Forest...Loved riding there, lived in Rancho Bernardo till 1993...

They just banned riding DOWN the inside route at Torrey Pines because it is so steep and curvy that some fools on bikes were getting out of control. We can still pedal up that way and I prefer it over the outside route. All the rest of your old rides are still good.

enr1co
12-20-2013, 10:18 AM

Speaking of Scripps, the Birch Aquarium at Scripps
on the UCSD campus/ La Jolla is a great place to visit with nice ocean views.

http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

oldpotatoe
12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
They just banned riding DOWN the inside route at Torrey Pines because it is so steep and curvy that some fools on bikes were getting out of control. We can still pedal up that way and I prefer it over the outside route. All the rest of your old rides are still good.

So is the route closest to the water, 'inside or outside'...we never could figure it out. Loved riding in SanDiego...belonged to Ranchoes CC, still exists, rode Saturdays and Sundays, and didn't repeat a route for like 5 weeks...

AND 62 and sunny..here 23 and light snow....

wasfast
12-20-2013, 11:43 AM
So is the route closest to the water, 'inside or outside'...we never could figure it out. Loved riding in SanDiego...belonged to Ranchoes CC, still exists, rode Saturdays and Sundays, and didn't repeat a route for like 5 weeks...

Very small world. I live in Rancho Bernardo, am a Rancho's team member. 2013 was the 25th anniversary for Ranchos.

Ken Robb
12-20-2013, 12:00 PM

"Inside" is the old two-lane that used to be the only road from La Jolla to Del Mar. What is now a museum in Torrey Pines State Park on this road used to be a road house/restaurant. Before I arrived in 1970 the "outside" route came into existance with the new 4-lane highway. It starts to descend at the top of the mesa and has a uniform slope all the way down to the beach so 40+mph is easy to attain and maintain all the way. The old highway (inside route) runs along Torrey Pines Golf Course and the State Park. It is closed to autos until it reaches the museum, restrooms, and parking lots near the museum. Cars are allowed to drive up that far from the beach. Once past the museum this road gets very steep and has several blind curves so I never let my speed exceed 30 mph and really felt 20 mph was plenty. As I said before, that portion is now closed to downhill bicycles so I would recommend riding down on the outside and climbing back up the inside where you can often make the whole climb without meeting any cars. This is nice because many guys without my ultra-low gears traverse across one or both lanes to lessen the pitch. OTOH our pal PB Wrench did repeats up/down on my Strada Bianca w/50/34 and 12-26 gears while I cheered him on from the top.:)

oldpotatoe
12-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Very small world. I live in Rancho Bernardo, am a Rancho's team member. 2013 was the 25th anniversary for Ranchos.

Holy Moly..I know Alan Tragarz and Bettina really well..he's in Denver, I think, altho I think his company is sending him back to SD.

Originally out of the Bike Lane, owned by Ariel Mendez in Penasquitos, who owns Leeway Bikes now in Kansas City.

Jeff N.
12-21-2013, 04:22 PM
If you have plenty of disposable income, staying at the Hotel Del Coronado is the only way to go. World class. A place I also like to stay at (very reasonable prices) is the Surfer Beach Hotel. It ain't 4 star, but you're right on the beach in Pacific Beach, and Lahaina Beach House, the quintessential beach bar, is right next door. Rent a coupla beach cruisers for the boardwalk. The new Stone Brewery in Point Loma, located at Liberty Station (the old Naval Training Center) is a must! Try their Ruination IPA. Simply the best. Head to Gaslamp Quarter at some point. I consider myself one of the lucky ones...I live here. Here's a view from our room at the Del a few years back. That's Point Loma on the right. Jeff N.

Ken Robb
12-21-2013, 05:59 PM
The thing we have to remember:they will have 2 bicycles to store. Some rooms don't have enough room and some hotels don't allow them in rooms.

A few years back during our remodel Leslie and I stayed in a cottage at The Bahia Hotel right on the beach at Mission Bay. We had a great room with full kitchen plus a separate bedroom, private patio and reserved parking at the door. February rates are probably the lowest of the year and access to great rides right out the door.

Jeff N.
12-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Absolutely. Good call. Paradise Point Resort, Dana Inn, Hyatt Islandia too. I've stayed in all of them over the years. All good choices. Beach Cruisers, I just chain 'em up outside somewhere. Expensive road bikes, I just bring 'em in the room. What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

bloody sunday
12-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Absolutely. Good call. Paradise Point Resort, Dana Inn, Hyatt Islandia too. I've stayed in all of them over the years. All good choices. Beach Cruisers, I just chain 'em up outside somewhere. Expensive road bikes, I just bring 'em in the room. What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

Would be kinda hard if you have to go through the lobby to get to your room, though.

Ken Robb
12-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Would be kinda hard if you have to go through the lobby to get to your room, though.
And the maids can rat you out too.

Jeff N.
12-21-2013, 08:17 PM
If I told them my bikes cost 8K each, believe me...they'd acquiesce. Never been a problem wherever I've stayed.

metalheart
12-21-2013, 08:50 PM
If I told them my bikes cost 8K each, believe me...they'd acquiesce. Never been a problem wherever I've stayed.

You need a better bike Jeff....

Lived in Del Mar while going to UCSD ... used to run up and down Torry Pines, but was not into cycling then. Arrived in 67, left in 78. What a place.

bloody sunday
12-21-2013, 09:06 PM

What's the point of having rules? What if I told them how expensive my car is, would they let me keep it in my room? Or even my dog, cat, or motorcycle?

IMO for the TS' purposes a house rental is a far better and cheaper option than the hotel del

Jeff N.
12-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Sure, a nice beach house'd be great. Options are many...all depends on how you wanna roll

bloody sunday
12-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Sure, a nice beach house'd be great. Options are many...all depends on how you wanna roll

I forgot to put my :banana: in it to indicate my post was tongue in cheek

Tony T
12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
What's the point of having rules? What if I told them how expensive my car is, would they let me keep it in my room? Or even my dog, cat, or motorcycle?

Yeah, like rules are never broken where money is concerned. If you speak to the hotel management before you book and explain the situation (that you won't lock your 8,000 bike outside on a pole during your stay), I'm sure the rules will be broken. — If not, find another hotel. (It's not like its a dog that can potentially harm another guest, or a cat that can affect another guest's allergies)

Jeff N.
12-22-2013, 07:28 AM
IMO, it's bad enough some people bring their dog(s)along on vacation, but if they bring their friggin' CAT...well, I think they've got issues.:no:

Tony T
12-22-2013, 07:31 AM
IMO, it's bad enough some people bring their dog(s)along on vacation, but if they bring their friggin' CAT...well, I think they've got issues.:no:

If you go to SD, stay away from Ocean Beach / Dog Beach ;)

Jeff N.
12-22-2013, 07:34 AM
If you go to SD, stay away from Ocean Beach / Dog Beach ;)

HA! And if you DO go, watch where you walk!

dave thompson
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
I spent my high school years in Ocean Beach (PLHS '59). OB is still a very interesting community, a sub-set of a sub-set.

Ken Robb
12-22-2013, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=dave thompson;1471837]I spent my high school years in Ocean Beach (PLHS '59).

Well, THAT explains a lot Thompson. When you told me you used to be a dealer I thought you meant Yamaha. :)

FastforaSlowGuy
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM
As a lifelong SD resident/surfer, remember that Feb and Mar are freakin cold water surfing months, and the beach weather isn't great either. Cycling here will easily be warmer than where you live though. Up and down the coast is a no-brainer too.

So many places to stay, but anywhere on the coast is great to cycle and sight see, I'd recommend a day in Balboa park (SD zoo here too) if time permits. From there the Gaslamp in downtown is right there, plenty of nightlife/beer, etc...

Yeah, I'm aware that a warm swim ain't in the cards. But in New England it never goes north of 65 even in summer, and the super crazy surfers go in the winter when it's 30*. Whatever you have there (55-60ish?) it's got to be better than that!

Ken Robb
12-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I'm aware that a warm swim ain't in the cards. But in New England it never goes north of 65 even in summer, and the super crazy surfers go in the winter when it's 30*. Whatever you have there (55-60ish?) it's got to be better than that!

True but we have had our share of winter visitors expecting 80F water temps so we like to be sure to make the truth known. We still manage to have fun.:banana::banana:

bloody sunday
12-23-2013, 01:05 AM
True but we have had our share of winter visitors expecting 80F water temps so we like to be sure to make the truth known. We still manage to have fun.:banana::banana:
last time i was in 80F water in San Diego was during El Niņo in '98